ASTRO: NGC4490/NGC4485 test shot unfiltered

Old April 16th 07, 05:52 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

Default ASTRO: NGC4490/NGC4485 test shot unfiltered

this is 3 x 10minutes with no filter using the 18" cass at 3366mm

there are no flats applied: just darks

the seeing stinks tonight but this came out better than I thought it would

i am shooting unbinned in this image but switched to 2x2 binning to see how
it will come out

it is nice to get such good s/n so fast by going binned!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camel_ngc4490_neg25_600sec_00367_SigmaSum32_ddp_ps_sgbnr_crop_deconv.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	663
Old April 16th 07, 06:41 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Richard Crisp wrote:
this is 3 x 10minutes with no filter using the 18" cass at 3366mm

there are no flats applied: just darks

the seeing stinks tonight but this came out better than I thought it would

i am shooting unbinned in this image but switched to 2x2 binning to see how
it will come out

it is nice to get such good s/n so fast by going binned!

Almost as bad as my seeing tonight. Warm air over very cold ice makes
for lots of nasty mixing. I suspect it might be good for planetary work
however. Seeing is very slow. On a 5 second integration it will show a
star moving steadily say NE. Next frame it is moving west slowly, then
east then south west etc. Moves a good 5 or 6 seconds of arc. A AOL
might follow it but don't have one in the budget. Now the sun's been
off the ice for 4 hours it is starting to settle down. Think I'll set
up something and go to bed and see what happens. Though rain is
forecast sometime tonight (horrid transparency) so maybe I should just
pack it in, close the roof and say the hell with new moon.

Rick