Peculiar Galaxies and Red Shift

Old September 5th 04, 02:09 PM
Mad Scientist

Default Peculiar Galaxies and Red Shift

Halton C. Arp and Peculiar Galaxiies

Halton C. Arp is one of the key actors in the contemporary debate on the
origin and evolution of galaxies in the universe. His landmark
compilation of peculiar galaxies led him to challenge the fundamental
assumption of modern cosmology, that redshift is a uniform indicator of
distance.

Mo
http://astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/arppec/arphalt.html
http://www.electric-cosmos.org/arp.htm

--
*Remember Your Future*
Hollywood is disinformation!

Old September 5th 04, 04:27 PM
Paul Lawler

Mad Scientist wrote in news:eeE_c.150768$pTn.63298
@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com:

Halton C. Arp is one of the key actors in the contemporary debate on the
origin and evolution of galaxies in the universe. His landmark
compilation of peculiar galaxies led him to challenge the fundamental
assumption of modern cosmology, that redshift is a uniform indicator of
distance.

"actor" is indeed a good characterization for Halton C. Arp.
Old September 5th 04, 05:00 PM
Mad Scientist

:

Halton C. Arp is one of the key actors in the contemporary debate on the
origin and evolution of galaxies in the universe. His landmark
compilation of peculiar galaxies led him to challenge the fundamental
assumption of modern cosmology, that redshift is a uniform indicator of
distance.

"actor" is indeed a good characterization for Halton C. Arp.

Sociopath is a good characterization for Paul .

--
Usenet is filled with abusive and obsessive-compulsive-sociopathic personality disorder sufferers which makes it all the more easily ignored, dismissed and ridiculed.

Old September 5th 04, 10:01 PM
Saul Levy

I've actually worked with Halton Arp. He seemed quite mild mannered
to me. It is a scientist's job to question the status quo. Of course
you get brickbats in response. Halton had to take a job in Germany
because no one would give him a job here. Mad's quote from him about
someone being wrong about the redshifts being a sign of true expansion
or not is valid. Halton's research has tried to prove that there is
more going on than just a true expansion. He has been rather extreme
at times about what his research shows. Therefore, the brickbats.
After I worked with him I read a very interesting interview of him
which I've since wished I could have asked him questions about his
research. He is a very interesting person.

This reminds me of another extreme scientist named James McDonald of
the U. of Arizona. Dr. McDonald (be careful as there are a number of
such named scientists) was an expert in atmospheric physics. He
testified before Congree (back in the '60s as I remember) that the SST
would destroy the stratosphere and for the U.S. not to build one.
Only problem is that he lied to Congress! His research showed the
exact opposite: The SST would have NO effect on it. He went too far
and his peers blacklisted him. He couldn't get anything published
after that in a reputable scientific journal. He tried to commit
suicide and failed (damaging one eye with a gun)! He tried again
later and suceeded. I've heard that students at the UofA were later
told that Dr. McDonald was a martyr. He lied to Congress and was no
martyr as far as I'm concerned! Meanwhile, the Russians,
French/British and the military have flown plenty of flights up there
with no effect although I'm sure most of you have heard claims about
detrimental weather being caused by such flights.

Saul Levy

Old September 5th 04, 10:37 PM
Paul Lawler

Saul Levy wrote in
:

Not to mention the dreaded "Chemtrails!" *s*******
Old September 6th 04, 08:47 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message . 88, Paul
Lawler writes
Saul Levy wrote in
:

Meanwhile, the Russians,
French/British and the military have flown plenty of flights up there
with no effect although I'm sure most of you have heard claims about
detrimental weather being caused by such flights.

Not to mention the dreaded "Chemtrails!" *s*******

Chemtrails and crank sites are very useful, of course. They divert
attention from responsible assessments of the effects of aviation such
as the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution report at
http://www.rcep.org.uk/aviation.htm