ASTRO: CGCG 277-042 and other strange galaxies

Old November 19th 13, 07:55 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: CGCG 277-042 and other strange galaxies

CGCG 277-042 is a neat ring galaxy near the head of Draco about 41
million light-years distant by redshift measurement. It may be part of
of the SDSS-C4-DR3 3375 galaxy cluster which is anchored by NGC 6370, an
elliptical galaxy in the upper right of my image below a nasty A2 blue
star. Right beside CGCG 277-042 is a very low surface brightness messed
up looking blue galaxy ASK 019673. Since rings of the type found here
are sometimes considered caused by galaxy collisions I had hoped to find
information on this pair. Unfortunately I found virtually nothing. In
fact there are only 3 papers listed at SIMBAD on CGCG 277-042 and none
on the companion. Of the three two are just a catalog entry and another
providing better coordinates. The third is a study of this type of ring
galaxies to try and find a way to separate those created by collision
from other causes. CGCG 277-042 was one in the study but that's all.
No findings on it at all other than it likely fits their expected
conditions.
http://cdsads.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/n...osetcook ie=1
Both of these could easily have made Arp's Atlas. He had a category
for ring galaxies though it contains only 3, none of which have the core
in the center. ASK 019673 at first glance looks a lot like Arp 338, the
last one in his atlas. Though it is quite likely two superimposed
galaxies, one face on and one edge on as both show a golden core which
was lost in Arp's black and white image. It is also a red spiral. ASK
019673 looks to be a single galaxy and is very blue. Arp 338 for
comparison http://www.spacebanter.com/attachmen...tid=3399&stc=1

After striking out learning more about this neat galaxy I turned my
attention on the rest of the field which, with the galaxy cluster has a
lot of interesting galaxies, including an entry in the Flat Galaxy
Catalog that's likely a member of the cluster. MCG+10-25-021 is a
strange disk galaxy well beyond the cluster that I'd like to see more
clearly but the star atop it doesn't help any.

There are 10 quasars and quasar candidates (UvES) in the image which is
quite a ways above average. There may be an 11th toward the lower
right. It is listed as both a galaxy and quasar. It seems more galaxy
like to me. The broad line AGN classification for the galaxy may be
more reasonable.

The A2 star sent some nasty reflections over much of the upper right
quadrant. I removed some of it but some remains. In doing so I likely
reduced the size of NGC 6370 somewhat. The same camera and filters on
my 6" f/4 don't create this issue so I have to figure the corrector of
the SCT is somehow involved.

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PGC60230L5X10RGB2X10.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	4850  Click image for larger version

Name:	PGC60230L5X10RGB2X10ID.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	4851  Click image for larger version

Name:	PGC60230L5X10RGB2X10CROP125-800.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	4852
Old November 19th 13, 09:19 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

I love ring galaxies, although I think I have never imaged one myself.
This is a little beauty indeed.

Stefan