ASTRO: Arp 261 how peculiar is this universe of ours?

Old January 26th 11, 07:27 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 261 how peculiar is this universe of ours?

Arp 261 is one of the stranger entries in his atlas. It consists of
several galaxies and or star clouds located in the constellation of
Libra a bit under 100 million light-years away. This one is rather low
at -10 degrees and was down in the gunk when I imaged it. This reduced
my resolution depth. I tried to compensate with more luminance images
but this low the time available is limited. Only one extra frame was
usable. Following nights were worse so I just gave up and went with the
5 I had.

Arp put it in his class Galaxies (not classifiable as S or E): Irregular
Clumps. He did leave a comment on this one, "Some condensations
resolved, similar smaller galaxy appears north. That galaxy is the
irregular galaxy PGC 052943 also about the same distance from us by
redshift measurement.

How many galaxies are involved with Arp 261 depends on which catalog you
check. It consists of two main galaxies. The biggest is to the
southwest (lower left) of center. It is Arp 261
NED01/VV140a/MCG-2-38-016/PGC 52940 as well as many other catalog
entries. NED classes it as IB(s)m pec. The other main part to the
northeast is Arp 261 NED04/VV140b/MCG-2-38-017/PGC 52935. It too has
other catalog entries but not as many as the southwestern part. It too
is classed by NED as IB(s)m pec. Notes at NED though seem to consider
these two highly distorted spirals with interconnecting, tangled arms at
the northwestern end. This doesn't explain the connection between the
middle parts of both however. Two catalogs list the two small
condensations to the east (left) of the bottom end of the largest galaxy
as separate galaxies. The lower is Arp 261 NED03/VV140d while the
fainter upper one is Arp 261 NED02/VV140c. Neither are classified or
have red shift data. I see them as star clouds likely created by the
interaction of the two main galaxies. That's just my speculation. I
have a tough time seeing them as separate galaxies.

The galaxy near the left edge of my image about level with PGC 052943 is
2MASX J14503533-1005202. It and the rest of the very few identified
galaxies in my image are all from this 2 micron survey. The Sloan
survey doesn't cover this part of the sky. Like all the others in the
field it has no red shift data.

Arp's image
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...ig_arp261.jpeg

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=5x10' RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP261L5X10RGB2X10X3.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	3329
Old January 26th 11, 10:02 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Kev Lawrence

Nice one Rick, you've certainly been imaging some wonderful and weird stuff
of late.

Kev

PS I take it everyone has seen Olly Prentice's 55h exposure of Orion (theres
links on stargazers lounge etc)

ter.com...

Old February 3rd 11, 08:21 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Definitely one Arp's weirdest.
Rick

On 2/2/2011 2:53 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
Phantastic image Rick. I really love those weird galaxies...

Stefan

"Rick schrieb im Newsbeitrag
ter.com...
[...]

Arp 235/NGC 14 Peculiar nearby galaxy Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 4 June 30th 09 07:58 AM
Our Peculiar Motion Away from the Local Void (Forwarded) Andrew Yee[_1_] News 0 June 7th 07 12:38 AM
Peculiar sighting Sid Snot Satellites 3 November 27th 05 06:49 AM
Finding the peculiar ancestor... Alfred A. Aburto Jr. SETI 0 May 11th 05 11:47 PM
Peculiar Galaxies and Red Shift Mad Scientist Misc 5 September 6th 04 08:47 PM