ASTRO: An idea from Rick NGC3718 region widefield

Old May 4th 08, 09:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp

Default ASTRO: An idea from Rick NGC3718 region widefield

I shot '3718 with the stinger about a month ago but it was too faint in my
image to be interesting. Then I saw Rick's wider view of it and some of the
close-in neighbors so last night I decided to check that out and liked what
I saw. So that was my target.

Unfiltered and 25 x 400 minutes from the AP180EDT f/9 and Proline3200 with
Eng Grade KAF3200 operated at -45C

I had some problems with my flat fields so I had to use the clone stamp to
fix two ugly doughnut regions so the stars/background galaxies may not be
100% accurate in this shot. With luck I will get clean flats tonight at
twilight and that will get fixed and perhaps some additional exposure time
added. I would like to shoot some binned color too if time permits.

http://www.narrowbandimaging.com/ngc..._pl32_page.htm

the "amulet" on the lower and curved arm of '3718 is intriguing to me as is
the hook at the end of the arm. There are lots of background galaxies in
this image too. Too many for me to count!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ngc3718_ap180_f9_pl32_camel_25x400sec_svga.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1899
Old May 6th 08, 10:25 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Excellent picture Richard. Skies at your ranch must be quite good to get so
deep at f/9.

Stefan

t...