NASA TV migrating to digital format: additional receiver required

Old May 26th 05, 07:01 PM
Jacques van Oene

Default NASA TV migrating to digital format: additional receiver required

Bob Jacobs/Al Feinberg
Headquarters, Washington May 26, 2005
(202/358-1600/1058)

Rodney Grubbs/Sandy George
Marshall Space Flight Center, Huntsville, Ala.
(256/544-4582/8793)

MEDIA ADVISORY: 05-086

NASA TV MIGRATING TO DIGITAL FORMAT: ADDITIONAL RECEIVER REQUIRED

NASA TV is moving forward with its July 1 plans to convert from a
single analog NTSC channel to four channels of Standard Definition MPEG-2
digital video, including a dedicated Media Services channel.

The conversion will require broadcast media to upgrade with an "addressable"
Integrated Receiver Decoder (IRD) to participate in live news events,
interviews, and press briefings; and to receive NASA's Video File feeds.

Agency mission coverage will air on a digital NASA TV Public Services
channel, for which a basic IRD will be needed. Educators, learning
institutions and museums also will need a basic IRD to access a new,
dedicated Education Services channel.

The digital signal for the Public Services channel is already available.
Testing of the new digital infrastructure may cause periodic interruptions
in analog NASA TV programming.

"This is a major milestone for NASA Television," said Dean Acosta, Acting
Assistant Administrator for NASA's Office of Public Affairs in Washington.
"The move to contemporary digital technology will allow us to better serve
the public and broadcast media with improved imagery and better products
specifically targeted for their use."

Addressable, store-and-forward capable IRDs will allow media users to store
"pushed" content for retrieval and playback at their convenience. This will
eliminate the need for monitoring of and rolling record tapes for agency
feeds.

NASA TV's analog NTSC service will remain available through late June to
provide viewers adequate time to upgrade equipment for the switch. The new
digital NASA TV channels will be on the satellite AMC 6, transponder (17).

In addition to the media, education and public services channels, a fourth
channel will be dedicated to internal use by Space Operations for mission
operations.

For the latest information about the NASA TV digital conversion on the Web,
visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/ntv

For technical specifications and pricing from NASA TV's equipment
contractor, visit:

http://www.nasadigitaltv.com

-end-

--
--------------

Jacques :-)

www.spacepatches.info

Old May 27th 05, 10:44 AM
Peter Harding

In article , says...
NASA TV MIGRATING TO DIGITAL FORMAT: ADDITIONAL RECEIVER REQUIRED

[...]

Does anyone know if anyone else has plans to bounce this to Europe?
Old June 6th 05, 04:33 AM
Scott Hedrick

How does this allow those of us with big old fashioned non-digital dishes to
continue to receive NASA TV at home for free? NASA TV was the only reason
for me to get it in the first place.

Old June 6th 05, 09:12 AM
Dale

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message
. ..
How does this allow those of us with big old fashioned non-digital dishes

continue to receive NASA TV at home for free? NASA TV was the only reason
for me to get it in the first place.

You don't need to change your dish (or probably even the LNB), just get a
"sidecar" mpeg-2 receiver and plug it in between the dish and your analog
receiver. I think you can get them for $100 or less these days. I've been
using
an mpeg-2 receiver for about 7 years, ever since NHK (and hence sumo) went
digital. Feel free to e-mail me (anybody) if you have problems getting it
set up.

I just programmed it into my digital receiver. It isn't exactly HDTV, but
it's
a step up from the old analog channel. I'm amazed it took them so long
to switch.

Dale

Posting from some odd free usenet server because my usual one doesn't seem
to be working tonight...