gratitude etc. (was Apollo: One gas environment?)

Old May 14th 04, 02:13 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message

Why? My supermarket sells hard liquor, malt beverages, and beer; the
only difference is that the booze isn't in a cooler.

Or in Connecticut we had "Package Stores". "I'm going down to the packy."

Years ago there was a made for TV-film about a murder that occurred in my
hometown.

The opening shot of the movie showed the victim perusing the local grocery
store and picking up a bottle of wine.

Not only was the grocery store about 5 times the size of the one actually in
my hometown, but the idea of buying wine in a grocery store was simply
unknown in CT.

It was very clear this was a California store (if only from the wide
selection of wines. :-)

Mary

Old May 14th 04, 05:57 PM
Pat Flannery

Doug... wrote:

That's not a question of kosher, Pat -- it's a question of edible. I
think the most commonly available food that violates the most kosher
rules in one package is a bacon cheeseburger.

Granted....so we get the bacon cheeseburger....and we leave it outside
till some winged four-legged swarming things _land_ on it, then..... :-)

Pat

Old May 14th 04, 06:16 PM
Pat Flannery

Pat Flannery wrote:

Granted....so we get the bacon cheeseburger....and we leave it outside
till some winged four-legged swarming things _land_ on it, then..... :-)

I forgot, the bacon cheeseburger is made by a _menstruating woman_! :-)

Pat

Old May 14th 04, 06:28 PM
Pat Flannery

Doug... wrote:

I have to say that, from a dietary standpoint, I am quite glad I've
never been in a position to have to try and keep kosher. (I was going
to say "I'm glad I'm not Jewish," but I have eaten and enjoyed quite a
few traditional Jewish foods. I just like a lot of things that kosher
rules prohibit.)

Where would the world be without bagels, kosher dill pickles, and
chicken soup- the "Jewish Penicillin" for colds?

Pat

Old May 14th 04, 07:01 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Keep in mind, tho, that about 90% of the kosher regs came about in
an attempt to curtail food poisoning and other maladies associated
with improper food preparation.

What's fascinating about the way the Book of Leviticus is written is
that rather than just listing what you can and cannot eat, it tries to
use a form of logic for what's mentioned, and some underlying reason for
why it's unclean. The idea seems to be devise a set of rules that allow
you to determine the cleanliness of a creature that you have never
encountered before, based on its habits and attributes. So say a Great
Fish vomits you out Jonah-style on the shore of Peru, and you are
hungry...and there's a lama standing there..you can have a gander at
it's feet and feeding habits to determine if you should eat it.
Now if you were somehow transported to Tibet, and there was a Llama
standing there, and his feet were not cloven, nor did he chew the
cud....but he had legs above his feet for jumping, like a locust...

Pat

Old May 14th 04, 07:50 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Guys, keep in mind that the sole reason US mainstream beer is
weaker than the rest of the world's brew supply has to do with federal
and state alcohol regulations that keep mass-consumption beer at their
currently FNW alcohol levels. Above a certain level they're required
to be sold in liquor stores under a more controlled environment, and
taxed differently. If beer had twice the alcohol it currently does, it
wouldn't be sold at the supermarket, and would probably cost three
times what it does now.

In North Dakota, _all_ beer must be sold in liqueur stores; because of
that fact, 3.2 beer doesn't even exist around here.

...Which is why I gave up on beer in 1985 for good, and have had,
IIRC, only three oil cans of Foster's ever since. If I want to drink,
I currently drink only the following:

* Dr. McGillicuddy's Vanilla Schnappes. Mixed one shot with a 12-oz
Coke or Dr. Pepper, it becomes an ice cream float with a kick. Add in
real ice cream and the effect is even more McStaggering!

A&W or Shasta Cream Soda with vodka...not bad at all.
And then of course there was the Brandy Alexander Imperials:
Remy Martin Cognac, Dom Perignon Champagne, Hagen-Daz ice cream with
grated Godiva chocolate on it, topped by a macadamia nut. Very
good....and very expensive.

* Blueberry Schnappes and Mountain Dew. 100ml BS in 400ml of MD
produces the type of shoe dispersal kick that the original Mountain
Dew commericals in 1967 promised but never delivered. I'm serious on
this one, kids. Try it.

* Blue Creme Nehi and Monopolya Austrian Vodka. This is how you
synthesize Romulan Ale, kids. A word of warning, tho: this will turn
your turds blue if you drink more than three or four 500ml mixtures of
this. I'm serious on this one too.

* Johnny Walker Blue, chilled. Expensive as hell - $30/shot last I had
it - but worth it for special occasions. Caveat: once you drink this,
you will never be able to stomach JW Red, Black or Gold again. Ever.

* Pepto-Bismoll. This is a drink I invented that someone claims is
also called a B-52. Bailey's, Butterscotch Schnappes, and Creme De
Almond, all in equal amounts. Looks just like Pepto, and actually does
coat, sooth and relieve. Came about when I was trying to mix a Buttery
Nipple, and was too busy explaining to two gals why they were wrong
about how mating with guys who are losers with no jobs and no futures
is a good thing.

* Radar's Aphrodesiac (AKA Korean Fly). Grape Nehi or any other grape
soda, mixed with Purple Pucker grape schnappes. Caveat: If you burp,
don't burp through your nose, because this *will* burn your mucous
membranes.

* Pina Colostomy. Pina Colada Mix, Malibu coconut rum. Dr.
McGillicuddy's Vanilla Schnappes, Vanilla Ice Cream. Make a shake, but
don't ever try making a malt with this concoction. Caveat: I have
experienced, and known others who've suffered, if you mix this with
low-fat ice cream or some other ice cream substitute, a bad case of
the runs the next morning.

* TGI Enema. Same as a Pina Colostomy, but you replace the PC Mix with
a bottle of that Dreamsickle mix that TGI Friday's sells. Same effect
can be seen under same conditions, and serves as a lesson that if
you're going to eat ice cream, don't try and cheat with the low-fat
crap. Just bite the bullet and use the *real* stuff.

I'm keeping this list for future reference....did we ever hear back
about the horrible results of the Tang/vodka experiment?

Pat

Old May 14th 04, 07:58 PM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Which is why they're mostly bottled in brown glass. I've also heard
of this happening with Zima when it's been left in the sun way too
long on a hot summer day. Then again, anyone who drinks that fermented
Sprite gets what they deserve :-)

Although the Zima Citrus (now Zima Lime, or something like that) wasn't
too bad....but then there was the horrifying Zima Dark...which was
supposed to taste like either whiskey and coke or rum and coke...and
actually tasted like acetone and ****; how that stuff ever got past the
company's product development team is beyond me.

Pat

Old May 14th 04, 08:10 PM
Ami Silberman

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
On Thu, 13 May 2004 20:25:54 GMT, Doug...
wrote:

I have to say that, from a dietary standpoint, I am quite glad I've
never been in a position to have to try and keep kosher. (I was going
to say "I'm glad I'm not Jewish," but I have eaten and enjoyed quite a
few traditional Jewish foods. I just like a lot of things that kosher
rules prohibit.)

...Keep in mind, tho, that about 90% of the kosher regs came about in
an attempt to curtail food poisoning and other maladies associated
with improper food preparation. The primary motivation for the banning
of the consumption of pork products stemmed from the fact that if you
don't cook pork correctly, back then you pretty much guaranteed
yourself a case of parasitical trichinosis, if not botulism or other
diseases associated with eating swine and/or poultry products that
weren't cleaned properly before and during prep & cooking. The
additional fact that in a desert condition cleaning water is far less
important than drinking water, and therefore far less available, is an
additional factor.

That's a theory. Unfortunately, there is a lot of evidence against it being
the sole reason. First, by your argument then chicken's shouldn't be kosher.
Trichinosis (and salmonella) are killed by temperatures which still leave
the meat unpleasently rare. There are two alternate theories that I'm aware
of. One is that the laws of Kashrut are G-d's way of making Jews prove their
loyalty by making them follow silly rules. The other, perhaps more
reasonable, is that the laws are moral object lessons. There are really
three types of unkosher foods:

1. Foods that are unkosher because they are made from dirty animals. (For
instance non-scaly seafood tends to live at the bottom of lakes/rivers. Pigs
roll in the dirt. Non-flying insects tend to live in the dirt.)
2. Foods that are unkosher because the animal was not killed humanely. Note
that for an animal to be killed properly it must suffer the least amount of
pain. Probably associated with this is the prohibition against milk and
meat, which is only present biblically in no stewing a kid in its mother's
milk.
3. Weird rules associated with symbology. For example, the prohibition
against eating blood, which means that the meat must be drained and salted,
and that the hindquarters of cattle must have the blood containing fat and
large blood vessels removed. (This has something to do with blood being
associated spritually with the soul, and also that these portions were
sacrificed at the Temple.) Also why fertilized eggs are not kosher. It may
be that the prohibition against eating carnivores comes in here as well.
This is also why wine, which has religious significance, must be certified
kosher, even if it is prepared without the use of animal products.

There is probably a confluence of a lot of factors, only some of which are
health related.

There are probably a confluence

Old May 14th 04, 08:14 PM
Ami Silberman

"Christopher M. Jones" wrote in message
om...
"Ami Silberman" wrote in message

The Geneva conventions, the FM on the Law of Land Warfare, and a number

of
Army Regulations make it abundantly clear that those things are not
acceptable. There was a failure to properly educate the soldiers

involved in
the correct and legal procedures.

Wrong. Some of those accused *claim* they were improperly
educated but that is almost certainly not the case. Every
soldier in the US gets taught the fundamentals of the
Geneva Conventions very early in basic training. Ignorance
cannot possibly be an excuse here, they knowingly did wrong.

However, my understanding (from hearing subject matter experts on NPR) is
that they should have had a refresher course when they were called up, and
that they certainly should have had a refresher course on the appropriate
Army Regulations document when they were set to guard prisoners. There were
a lot of other things they did wrong, such as mixing lethal and less than
lethal ammo in the same magazine, in not following the regulations in terms
of how often prisoners were to be counted (nor in standardizing how the unit
did it; it appears every platoon had its own procedure), and a lot of other
stuff.

Old May 14th 04, 08:34 PM
Pat Flannery

Doug... wrote:

Yeah, that was probably something of the gist of it. Of course, in the
millennia since, we've gotten a lot of really subtle justifications for
the kosher laws, including some that come very close to numerology.
"God made things in ones and twos, and anything that varies from these
are non-Godly. So cloven hooves are bad, since that's one leg and two
hooves, which makes three..." That's not the real argument, but the
Talmudic arguments that I've read are quite similar to that. A lot of
numerology...

Try the Kabbalah sometime; it makes Quantum Physics look simple by
comparison.
The Jews (and later Christians*) had no idea of the logic mess they had
gotten themselves into as soon as they went monotheistic; theologies
with two contending deities- one evil, one good, work like a charm.
Where you only have one good and all-powerful deity, and you still have
evil around.... you have a _lot_ of explaining to do.

*Of course the Christians cheated by giving the Devil a lot of
power...in ancient Judaism, there was an angel (The Satan) who tempted
people so that God could judge them by their response to the temptation,
but this is done with the consent of, and indeed by the will of, God.
According to Jewish apocryphal works, this situation worked well right
up to the infamous Book Of Job Incident, in which poor Job got all sorts
of trouble dumped on his head because "The Satan" had decided to tempt
_God_ toward evil to see just how well _He'd_ respond.
Bad Career Move.
There was a major falling out between God and The Satan at this point;
and he had to exchange his penthouse apartment for quarters in the
furnace room; but he'd still sneak upstairs when nobody was looking and
get it on with Lilith under God's throne, which caused it to rock.
No, I'm not making this up...this really is in the Jewish apocryphal works.

Pat

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Misc 6 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Misc 10 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla UK Astronomy 11 July 25th 04 02:57 PM