Bolden to review HLV study on Friday - Sidemount in doubt, In-line/SSME boost

Old January 15th 10, 04:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

Default Bolden to review HLV study on Friday - Sidemount in doubt, In-line/SSME boost

It sounds like Ares I is finally, thankfully, dead. :-)

Unfortunately, returning to the moon is also dead. :-(

This will be replaced by a smaller Ares V than NASA wanted (similar to
Direct's Jupiter) and a flexible path plan which will have astronauts
exploring things like asteroids which don't have a deep gravity well like
the moon or Mars.

Bolden to review HLV study on Friday - Sidemount in doubt, In-line/SSME
boost
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/...inessme-boost/

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National

Old January 15th 10, 05:28 PM posted to sci.space.policy
[email protected]

On Jan 15, 11:06�am, "Jeff Findley"
wrote:
It sounds like Ares I is finally, thankfully, dead. �:-)

Unfortunately, returning to the moon is also dead. �:-(

This will be replaced by a smaller Ares V than NASA wanted (similar to
Direct's Jupiter) and a flexible path plan which will have astronauts
exploring things like asteroids which don't have a deep gravity well like
the moon or Mars.

Bolden to review HLV study on Friday - Sidemount in doubt, In-line/SSME
boosthttp://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/01/bolden-review-hlv-friday-sidem...

Jeff
--
"Take heart amid the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese" - Deteriorata - National
Lampoon

ares needed to die a long time ago.........
Old January 16th 10, 07:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Jeff Findley wrote:
It sounds like Ares I is finally, thankfully, dead.

Don't count it out yet; "Independent Safety Experts" have arrived on the
scene: http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n1001/15asap/

Pat
Old January 19th 10, 09:31 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
Jeff Findley wrote:
It sounds like Ares I is finally, thankfully, dead.

Don't count it out yet; "Independent Safety Experts" have arrived on the
scene: http://spaceflightnow.com/news/n1001/15asap/

True, but money is going to dominate the discussion going forward. NASA
will not have enough money to develop two launch vehicles and Ares I is much
too small to launch anything bigger than Orion (and it's struggling during
R&D to even do that safely).

Jeff