The PDP-3, Stealth, and the Design of the Blackbird

Old September 22nd 09, 06:52 AM posted to sci.space.history
Paul A. Suhler

Default The PDP-3, Stealth, and the Design of the Blackbird

I'd made some inquiries here about the PDP-3. I found a
number of sources who'd worked with it and I was able to include
about a page on it in my book which AIAA is publishing at the
end of this month:

http://www.aiaa.org/content.cfm?pageid=360&id=1789

The machine was used to process radar cross section measurement
data taken on the models for the Lockheed Blackbird at Area 51.
By the time it was running, it had diverged pretty far from the
original architectural spec from DEC.

I was never able to find out what happened to it. Gordon Bell
told me that he wasn't sure about the statement in his textbook
that it had ended up in Oregon.

Cheers,

Paul Suhler
Old September 22nd 09, 05:54 PM posted to sci.space.history
Derek Lyons

(Paul A. Suhler) wrote:

I'd made some inquiries here about the PDP-3. I found a
number of sources who'd worked with it and I was able to include
about a page on it in my book which AIAA is publishing at the
end of this month:

http://www.aiaa.org/content.cfm?pageid=360&id=1789

The machine was used to process radar cross section measurement
data taken on the models for the Lockheed Blackbird at Area 51.
By the time it was running, it had diverged pretty far from the
original architectural spec from DEC.

I was never able to find out what happened to it. Gordon Bell
told me that he wasn't sure about the statement in his textbook
that it had ended up in Oregon.

It seems odd that Lockheed wouldn't have been able to find further use
for it...

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com/

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old September 22nd 09, 08:22 PM posted to sci.space.history
Paul A. Suhler

Derek Lyons wrote:
(Paul A. Suhler) wrote:

I'd made some inquiries here about the PDP-3. I found a
number of sources who'd worked with it and I was able to include
about a page on it in my book which AIAA is publishing at the
end of this month:

http://www.aiaa.org/content.cfm?pageid=360&id=1789

The machine was used to process radar cross section measurement
data taken on the models for the Lockheed Blackbird at Area 51.
By the time it was running, it had diverged pretty far from the
original architectural spec from DEC.

I was never able to find out what happened to it. Gordon Bell
told me that he wasn't sure about the statement in his textbook
that it had ended up in Oregon.

It seems odd that Lockheed wouldn't have been able to find further use
for it...

It was never at Lockheed, it was built and operated at SEI,
in Massachusetts. It was so badly documented that essentially
one of the builders had to help anyone trying to use it.

Paul

OT, but the Nazi stealth fighter on NGC Pat Flannery History 0 June 21st 09 10:43 AM
Question for Mary Shafer about the Blackbird D. Scott Ferrin History 2 July 28th 05 06:18 AM
OT- stealth boat Pat Flannery History 29 July 1st 05 03:35 AM
Kelly Johson SR-71 Blackbird, not a throw a silicon brick boblpetersen1 Policy 1 October 30th 04 01:25 AM