Excel points to Intel - SO BE IT!

Old January 5th 07, 07:37 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Starboard

Default Excel points to Intel - SO BE IT!

It was a tuff decision. The Meade LightBridge 12 had much appeal due to
its portability, style, and performance. How could I NOT go with it?
Although GIGO always a factor, Excel spreadsheet pointed to XT-12
IntelliScope w/OL. All over but the waiting now.

After a week of pondering over which scope to buy, at 2:42 am my time
this morning, with the help of Excel, I reached a decision. Placed the
order just moments ago. (had to back-order)

For me, the fight was too close to call, juggling all the issues in my
head. So I set up a spreadsheet with columns for each scope and rows
for categories with attributes. Each scope was then rated in each
attribute on a 1 --- 10. Once each scope was rated in each category,
the categories themselves were then weighted 1 --- 10 (a scope can
rate high in aesthetics, but how much does aesthetics mean to me?
That's where the weight comes in). After each category was weighted, I
generated simple formulas to sum the products of the ratings and
associated weights.

It was little more complicated than that because I was fuzzy around a
few ratings and weights so margins of error had to be assigned and
exploited during the calculations, but that was pretty much it.

Performance ratings were developed from magazine reviews, testimony
from the folks in SAA, advice from PASNOLA club members, and direct
discussions with Orion, Meade, and Company 7 reps.

After the numbers crunched, out of a possible 100, the XT-12 scored a
72, the LightBridge 12 scored a 62. It also became apparent that I
should upgrade to the IntelliScope w/ OL so I did.

Yes, the original comparison was the XT-12 Classic to the LightBridge
12, but my spreadsheet included upgrade options to both - the XT-12
Classic --- IntelliScope and the LightBridge 12 outfitted with
aftermarket equipment (JMI NGCMAX).

Now the truth: It was eeny meeny miny mo. For me, I simply couldn't go
wrong with either scope.

Thanks again for all the support.

Errol
PASNOLA.org

Old January 5th 07, 11:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Joe S.

"Starboard" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

You did the right thing.

I purchased an XT-12 about this time last year to replace the XT-8 that I
lost in Hurricane Katrina. I am VERY pleased with my XT-12. I got the
Intelliscope but I use the scope mainly without the Intelliscope -- about
60-40 without/with.

Here is my experience.
http://www.schlatter.org/Dad/Astronomy/XT%2012.htm

As you will see, it's BIG sucker. Get a good two-wheel hand cart/dolly
with pneumatic tires and make a cradle as I describe on my website -- will
make moving it a lot easier.