"Strange Thin Glowing Cloud, Twice The Diameter Of The Moon"

Old February 21st 07, 11:02 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
Pat Flannery

Default "Strange Thin Glowing Cloud, Twice The Diameter Of The Moon"

ElRon XChile wrote:
I do like people's suggestion that it
may be secondary effects from the breakup of space junk, but the center
'light' does still look like an ignited source so the question becomes what
would have re-ignited solid or liquid fuel?

I've never heard of a re-ignitable solid that would work in space.

Pat
Old February 21st 07, 11:16 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Jim Oberg wrote:
Ray Palmer back? He was an old (short) buddy of mine in the early 1970s when
I wrote for his zine 'space world' and we spent cold Wisconsin evenings
telling lies.

I've got a eight inch high model of a Dero I made sitting on the shelf,
"Mech", "Stim", forked penis and all.
His name is Clarence.

Pat
Old February 21st 07, 12:48 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
www.freedomtofascism.com

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 03:37:54 -0600, Pat Flannery wrote:

Particularly this one, which is really cool:
http://www.freqofnature.com/photos/mmiii/P9192066.jpg

OMG SOMEONE VAPORIZED IT

It musta been aleeuns.

Old February 21st 07, 03:37 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
Henry Spencer

In article ,
The Breeze-M upper stage in question shut down prematurely last March...

What took it so long to go boom?
Corrosion due to the hypergolics?

That's the prevailing theory for such explosions, although nobody really
knows for certain. Certainly the incidence of Delta II second-stage
explosions dropped dramatically after measures were taken to drain and
vent tanks (and discharge batteries) after payload release. (Mind you,
it's a little disturbing that COBE's Delta II second stage -- which *had*
been drained and vented and otherwise passivated -- managed to break up in
December, although that might have been a collision.)
Old February 21st 07, 03:39 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
Henry Spencer

In article ,
Pat Flannery wrote:
Doesn't anyone know how to vent their excess propellants once orbit is
reached?

The US regulatory agencies insist on it. The Russians do know how,
although whether they do it routinely is a slightly different question.
(The Iridium guys, in particular, insisted on full debris-mitigation
procedures on the upper stages of their Russian launches.)

In any case, it now appears that this was a malfunctioning stage from a
launch some months ago, so it's quite possible that it was programmed to
do venting, but never got that far.
Old February 21st 07, 04:06 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
scottlowtherATixDOTnetcomDOTcom

On Feb 21, 3:02 am, Pat Flannery wrote:
ElRon XChile wrote:
I do like people's suggestion that it
may be secondary effects from the breakup of space junk, but the center
'light' does still look like an ignited source so the question becomes what
would have re-ignited solid or liquid fuel?

I've never heard of a re-ignitable solid that would work in space.

That's where re-ignitable solids work best. The vacuum helps with the
dP/dT required for extinguishing in the first place.

Old February 21st 07, 05:38 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
kT

Pat Flannery wrote:

kT wrote:

Ok, it's hard to reconcile the time difference.

It must be this then :

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~loomberah/themis.htm

Oh great; first the Chinese ASAT, now this.
Doesn't anyone know how to vent their excess propellants once orbit is
reached?
This thing probably generated a greater amount of orbital debris by
mass than the Chinese one.

Like I said, there ought to be some laws.

We need to *DEMAND* that something be done about these upper stages.

We were supposed to have this all sorted out many decades ago.

--
Get A Free Orbiter Space Flight Simulator :
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/orbit.html
Old February 21st 07, 05:40 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy,alt.alien.visitors
kT

Pat Flannery wrote:

kT wrote:
Figure it out :

http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d323/status.html

0014 GMT (7:14 p.m. EST Sat.)

T+plus 73 minutes, 42 seconds. SPACECRAFT SEPARATION!

He took this picture at 17:30 UT on Feb. 19th:

http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d323...htimeline.html

T+66:45.1 - Third Stage Ignition - The Thiokol Star 48B solid-fueled
third stage is ignited to deliver the THEMIS satellites into its
intended orbit around Earth.

http://spaceflightnow.com/delta/d323/070212track.html

I can't explain the time anomaly here. Maybe UT means something else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinated_Universal_Time

Ah-ha! I though it looked like a solid!
Liquids don't generate that much visible particulate matter.
Check these out BTW: http://www.freqofnature.com/photos/mmiii/
Particularly this one, which is really cool:
http://www.freqofnature.com/photos/mmiii/P9192066.jpg

I think there must be some confusion because some of the shots I've seen
do indeed look like the Themis upper stage firing.

Hopefully some more dated photos will start filtering in over time.