How Total is a Total Solar Eclipse ??

Old September 2nd 06, 02:41 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Default How Total is a Total Solar Eclipse ??

Best picture I have of one is one taken by Professor Jeanette Stock in
Venezuela. It shows the uneven rays of light surrounding the black
Moon.(breath taking) Is the Moon a perfect size disk? Do the mountains
on the Moon have any effect? how much better could this total effect
be? what are the odds of size and distance creating such a great
blocking of the Sun? Bert

Old September 2nd 06, 05:15 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hagar[_1_]

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Best picture I have of one is one taken by Professor Jeanette Stock in
Venezuela. It shows the uneven rays of light surrounding the black
Moon.(breath taking) Is the Moon a perfect size disk? Do the mountains
on the Moon have any effect? how much better could this total effect
be? what are the odds of size and distance creating such a great
blocking of the Sun? Bert

Well, Beeeert, let's first take a look at our Earth. It has a circumference
of 24,900 miles. The tallest mountain, Mt. Everest, is a mere 5.5 miles
high. This makes the Earth smoother than any bowling ball, billiard ball or
high-precision machined ball bearing ... for all practical purposes, it is a
perfectly smooth sphere.

The Moon has a circumference of appr. 1/4 of that of Earth, 6,790 miles.
Since the Moon is geologically dead and has been so for billions of years,
there are no mountains on the Moon, since there never was any tectonic plate
movement to create them. What appear to be mountains are merely different
shades of color on its surface. There are high crater rims, but I suspect
none exceeds even one mile in height, making the Moon just as smooth a
sphere as the Earth is. Because of its spin, the diameter at the equator is
somewhat bigger than its polar counterpart, due to the fact that the Moon
was in a molten state shortly after its creation, as a result of a glancing
blow administered to Earth by a rogue planet about the size of Mercury and
it solidified with that equatorial bulge. But nonetheless, it is extremely
smooth.

Old September 2nd 06, 08:12 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Hagar (the horrible) are you for real? bert

Old September 2nd 06, 08:32 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Hagar[_1_]

"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Hagar (the horrible) are you for real? bert

You wondered if there were mountains on the Moon interfereing or distorting
the view during a Solar Eclipse. I explained it to you. Which part didn't
you understand ??

Old September 2nd 06, 11:59 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_1_]

Hagar wrote:
"G=EMC^2 Glazier" wrote in message
Hagar (the horrible) are you for real? bert

You wondered if there were mountains on the Moon interfereing or distorting
the view during a Solar Eclipse. I explained it to you. Which part didn't
you understand ??

"Interestingly, the silhouette of the Moon is not a perfect circle, but
rather it is slightly prickly with mountains, which are relatively much
higher than those on Earth.

So just before the transition from annular to total and later, just
after the transition from total back to annular, the eclipse will
become something neither annular nor total: it will be a broken
annular. As lunar mountains protrude onto the hairline-thin ring of the
Sun, it will be seen not as an unbroken ring but an irregular,
changing, sparkling sequence of arcs, beads and diamonds very briefly
encircling the Moon: a "diamond necklace" effect! This is a spectacle
that viewers in the Panama and possibly Costa Rica might see."

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/0504...r_eclipse.html

Double-A

Old September 3rd 06, 12:13 AM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Hagar (the horrible) The Moon has mountains and they are to tall to be
crater ridges. The tallest mountain in the solar system is on Mars its
name is "Olympus Mons" its height is 16 miles,and plate tectonics had
nothing to do with creating this mountain. It was a volcano(get the
picture) The hills and mountains on the Moon came from volcanoes over
2.3 billion years ago. Reality is there is lava flow still seen on its
surface. Looking at a picture of it as I type This sea of solidified
lava is called "Maria" Turned to another nice
picture I have with astronaut James Irwin in the driver's seat as he
drives by a very tall hill or short mountain It even has a
nice peak and looks little like the Great Pyramid only bigger. I know
your ego Hagar will make you not go back to your stupid post. It might
make your dim brain block this information. Go in one ear and out the
other. Well best to remember a total eclipse is a much better
match up than an annular eclipse. Bert

Old September 3rd 06, 01:36 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Hagar[_1_]

[...]

Beeert, speaking of dim brains, you are full of it. Go to this page and get
an education:

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/l...n_surface.html

You will notice that the Moon has "highlands", which are a far cry from the
mountains you suggest one sees at its edge during a solar eclipse. I can't
stop you from posting crap, but to save yourself some embarrassment, do a
little research before firing from the hip. Surely you have heard of
"Google" ... try it, you might just like it.

Old September 3rd 06, 01:39 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Hagar[_1_]

"Double-A" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hagar wrote:
[...]

Double Anus, so much for the Moon's mountains that all you nuts proclaim to
see:

http://csep10.phys.utk.edu/astr161/l...n_surface.html

Old September 3rd 06, 02:22 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_1_]

Hagar wrote:
"Double-A" wrote in message
ups.com...

Hagar wrote:
[...]

Can't admit you were wrong without insulting, huh?

Admit it, Bert was right, and you were wrong!

Double-A

Old September 3rd 06, 04:25 AM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_]

Double-A Hagar will never admit he is wrong. He goes well with the
shotting of the messenger if you don't like the message. That page he
tells us to read is nothing.,but to him it gives the answers(go figure)
Hagars true colors come out when he is told how stupid he is.
Take Baily's beads,they are caused by bits of the solar disk shining
through the irregular terrain of mountains,and valleys on the lunar
surface. Total eclipse in 1919 made the name Einstein a house hold
name. How much light bent he predicted very accurate,and I find that
measurement very interesting. I never knew what star they used?(still
don't) Before and after Photography was needed,and I like that. Bert