JimO China-Space Testimony

Old June 8th 04, 03:03 PM
JimO

Default JimO China-Space Testimony

My home page www.jamesoberg.com
now has the materials and transcripts
from my testimony on China-Space-Future
before the Senate Subcommittee in April.
Plus beefcake photo. Sort of.

Old June 11th 04, 03:50 PM
Jim Kingdon

My home page www.jamesoberg.com now has the materials and transcripts
from my testimony on China-Space-Future before the Senate Subcommittee
in April.

This is good information. It has a nice description of the Chinese
program, including what they developed themselves, what they got from
abroad, etc.

The short summary is that there is a fair bit of information out there
about the Chinese program (as Oberg points out, much more than the
West had about the Soviet program during the cold war).
Old June 11th 04, 09:40 PM
Pat Flannery

Jim Kingdon wrote:

The short summary is that there is a fair bit of information out there
about the Chinese program (as Oberg points out, much more than the
West had about the Soviet program during the cold war).

Which takes a lot of the fun out of it for me...where's the challenge in
trying to figure out what the devious commies are really planing...if
they _tell_ you what they are really planing.
The Chinese are spoilsports.

Pat

Old June 11th 04, 10:55 PM
Terrell Miller

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Jim Kingdon wrote:

The short summary is that there is a fair bit of information out there
about the Chinese program (as Oberg points out, much more than the
West had about the Soviet program during the cold war).

Which takes a lot of the fun out of it for me...where's the challenge in
trying to figure out what the devious commies are really planing...if
they _tell_ you what they are really planing.
The Chinese are spoilsports.

that's just what they want you to think g

--
Terrell Miller

"Married men live longer than single men, but married men are a lot more
willing to die."
Proverb

Old June 12th 04, 12:34 AM
LaDonna Wyss

Jim Kingdon wrote in message ...
My home page www.jamesoberg.com now has the materials and transcripts
from my testimony on China-Space-Future before the Senate Subcommittee
in April.

This is good information. It has a nice description of the Chinese
program, including what they developed themselves, what they got from
abroad, etc.

The short summary is that there is a fair bit of information out there
about the Chinese program (as Oberg points out, much more than the
West had about the Soviet program during the cold war).

Forgive me, but I wouldn't believe the Chinese if they said there WAS
a Moon. WHATEVER they plan to do with their space program (and
judging from that big **THUD** I heard when their--what's it called?
A tikonaut or something like that?--went on his post-flight publicity
tour around the country, I think it will be a very long time before
they even get close to the Moon.
Old June 13th 04, 02:02 AM
Scott Hedrick

"LaDonna Wyss" wrote in message
om...
I think it will be a very long time before
they even get close to the Moon.

It will happen far sooner than you will get to the truth.

Old June 13th 04, 10:01 AM
Carsten Nielsen

"JimO" wrote in message ...
My home page www.jamesoberg.com
now has the materials and transcripts
from my testimony on China-Space-Future
before the Senate Subcommittee in April.
Plus beefcake photo. Sort of.

In case anybody haven't seen it, Sven Grahn has a lot about the
Chinese program, he was involved in launching the first Swedish build
satellite Freya from China.

He also has a lot of info about the ex soviet program, which he has
observed the radio communication of, and talked with all the people
after the iron curtain fell.

And he has been involved since age 14 with space commitees and
observing satellites and radio communication.

He's a real historian on space.

I observe that he thinks the orbital module of the chinese capsules is
used for other programmes, is that why the yu-hang-yuan (?) was
launched alone ?

What do you think ?

Regards

Carsten Nielsen
Denmark
Old June 15th 04, 06:22 AM
Revision

"JimO" wrote in message
My home page www.jamesoberg.com
now has the materials and transcripts
from my testimony on China

An interesting analysis of Chinese plans and international cooperation.
I think that your testimony did a good job of pointing out that a Moon
mission or Mars mission are not trivial endeavors but require a lot of
time and work.

This is the first I have heard that the Chinese may opt for an near-Earth
asteroid visit prior to a Moon voyage.

At the time of the Shuttle/Mir program, it seemed to me that the US was
putting a lot of effort into these flights....ended up being a sizable
chapter of NASA history. Looks like the Soviets are honoring our past
support by helping us now.

I am a little skeptical that the Chinese would not utilize Russian
hardware because "they can't afford it." The Chinese are flush with cash
now. Perhaps even affluent enough to more than one copy of MS Windows. I
recall that China wanted to buy a manned capsule at one point but the
Russians would only go as far as providing blueprints. For what China is
spending on the Olympics they could finance a large space program. The
Chinese space folks probably have to lobby the politicians there the same
as NASA does. Buying hardware seems like an easy shortcut but when you
do that you deny yourself the benefits of developing industrial
infrastructure.
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/15/in...agewanted=2&hp

Senator Brownback ends with an equivocal remark that Congressional
support for the Shuttle is weak ("I just don't pick up the enthusiasm in
the Congress for continuing the Shuttle a whole lot longer"), but that
space flight is a feel-good activity that seems worthwhile in some vague
sort of way.