SLIMEBALL SCIENCE -- "The Velikovsky Affair"

Old July 7th 05, 04:48 PM

Default SLIMEBALL SCIENCE -- "The Velikovsky Affair"

"THE VELIKOVSKY AFFAIR"
Foreward
(by Alfred de Grazia)

In 1950, a monumental best-selling book. "Worlds in Collision," written
by Dr. Immanuel
Velikovsky, gave rise to a controversy in scientific and intellectual
circles about scientific theories and the sociology of science.

Dr. Velikovsky's historical and cosmological concepts, bolstered by his
acknowledged scholarship, constituted a formidable assault on certain
established theories of astronomy, geology and historical biology, and
on the heroes of those sciences.

Newton, himself, and Darwin were being challenged, and indeed
the general orthodoxy of an orderly universe.

The substance of Velikovsky's ideas is briefly presented in the first
chapter of this book, then the **** hit the fan.

"What must be called the scientific establishment rose in arms, not
only against the new Velikovsky theories but against the man himself,"
wrote de Grazia.

"Efforts were made to block dissemination of Dr. Velikovsky's ideas,
and even to punish supporters of his investigations.

"Universities, scientific societies, publishing houses and the popular press were approached and threatened; social pressures and professional sanctions were invoked to control public opinion.

"There is no doubt that in a totalitarian society, not only would Dr.
Velikovsky's reputation have been at stake, but also his right to
pursue his inquiry, and perhaps his own personal safety.

"As it was, the "establishment" succeeded in building a wall of
unfavorable sentiment around him: to thousands of scholars the name of
Velikovsky bears the taint of fantasy, science-fiction and publicity.

"He could not be suppressed entirely. In the next few years he
published three more books. He carried on a large correspondence. And
he was helped by friends and by a large general public composed of
persons outside of the establishments of science.

"The probings of spacecraft tended to confirm -- never to disprove --
his arguments.

"Eventually, the venomous aspects of the controversy,
the efforts at suppression, the campaign of vilification
loomed almost as large, in their consequences to science,
as the original issue.

"Social scientists, who had been generally aware of Dr. Velikovsky's
work, now found themselves in the thick of the conflict.

"The involvement of the social and behavioral sciences in the
scientific theories of Velikovsky was higher than had been earlier
appreciated.

"The social sciences are the basis of Velikovsky's work: despite his
proficiency in the natural sciences, it is by the use of the
methodology of social science that Velikovsky launched his challenge to
accepted cosmological theories.

"No one pretends that this method is adequate. New forms of
interdisciplinary research are needed to wed, for example, the study of
myth with the study of meteorities.

"Nor does one have to agree that Velikovsky is the greatest technician
of mythology, even while granting his great conceptual and synthesizing
powers.

"Whatever the scientific substance, the controversy inself could not be
avoided or dismissed by behavioral science.

"The problem of science is one of the agitating problems of the 20th century. The issues are clear:

WHO DETERMINES SCIENTIFIC TRUTH? (My caps, not his!)

WHO ARE ITS HIGH PRIESTS, AND WHAT IS THEIR
WARRANT?

HOW DO THEY ESTABLISH THEIR CANONS?

WHAT EFFECTS DO THEY HAVE ON THE FREEDOM
OF INQUIRY, AND ON PUBLIC INTEREST?

"In the end, some judgment M-U-S-T must be passed upon the behavior of
the scientific world and, if adverse, some remedies must be proposed.
.. .

"It is our hope that the publication of these papers in the present
volume (a revised and enlarged version) will make it less easy for
Velikovsky's new work to be suppressed, or lightly dismissed.

"We hope, too, that they will help scientists and interested laymen
everywhere to rehearse the problems and to REFORM THE ERRORS of the
vast enterprise of science."

================================

But a half-century later, things sure haven't changed. The disgraceful
Scientific Community is still belittling honest investigators, berating
legitimate scientific evidence and badmouthing and blackballing seekers
of The Truth.)

General Accounting Office (GAO), WHERE ARE YOU?

Isn't it time YOU lived up to your responsibility to protect
the American taxpayers' dollar and put your giant foot down on
the scoundrels who -- via their deceit, deception, collusion and
conspiracy, THEIR TOTAL DISHONESTY -- are keeping
the fresh air of truth from replacing the $tink of Science?

Ed Conrad
http://www.edconrad.com

Man as Old as Coal
AND
Proof of Life After Death

http://www.edconrad.com/oldasc*oal/images/quotesnew.gif

and
http://edconrad.com/canals/hooton.gif

=====================================

PETRIFIED BONES, TEETH AND SOFT ORGANS
DISCOVERED BETWEEN ANTHRACITE VEINS

Petrified human finger (with finger nail)
AND petrified human toe (with toe nail):

http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/A*u29/MVC-016S.JPG

http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/S*mith/z11calv.jpg
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/Petrified/z8femur.jpg
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/P*etrified/z5gall.jpg
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/P*etrified/newtibia.jpg
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/P*etrified/skullb.jpg
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/P*etrified/z9lung.jpg
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/b*rain/MVC-001S.JPG
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/N*ewpix5/MVC-002S.JPG
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/B*ones/MVC-006S.JPG
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/P*etrified/1tooth.jpg
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/N*ewpix3/z3dino.jpg
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/Petrified/MVC-013F.JPG
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/P*etrified/MVC-012F.JPG
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/D*ay/MVC-005S.JPG
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/S*corpion/MVC-001S.JPG
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/Scorpion/MVC-010S.JPG
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/Scorpion/MVC-020S.JPG
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/S*CORPIONS/MVC-039S.JPG
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/Tool/MVC-003S.JPG
http://www.edconrad.com/ebay/Tool/MVC-005S.JPG

Ed Conrad
http://www.edconrad.com

Man as Old as Coal

Old July 7th 05, 06:28 PM
Ray Martinez

Hi Ed:

Velikovsky proves that when the Bible is evidenced to be true - this is
what the protest is about.

Since Vel was a naturalist and an atheist his evidence supporting the
Bible remains the only reason for the attempted blacklisting.

This proves the bias of mainstream science that truth must not include
any evidence for the Bible lest our atheist worldviews are decimated.

Good piece Ed.

Ray Martinez

Old July 7th 05, 06:29 PM
AC

snip Ed's insane rantings

It's times like this that I really miss David Sienkiewicz's presence.

Old July 7th 05, 07:01 PM
AC

On 7 Jul 2005 10:28:37 -0700,
Ray Martinez wrote:
Hi Ed:

Velikovsky proves that when the Bible is evidenced to be true - this is
what the protest is about.

Since Vel was a naturalist and an atheist his evidence supporting the
Bible remains the only reason for the attempted blacklisting.

This proves the bias of mainstream science that truth must not include
any evidence for the Bible lest our atheist worldviews are decimated.

Good piece Ed.

Look, starstruck lovers have found one another!

Old July 7th 05, 10:30 PM
Richard Clayton

AC wrote:
snip Ed's insane rantings

It's times like this that I really miss David Sienkiewicz's presence.

You and I both.
--
[The address listed is a spam trap. To reply, take off every zig.]
Richard Clayton

Old July 7th 05, 10:32 PM
John Vreeland

On 7 Jul 2005 18:01:02 GMT, AC wrote:

On 7 Jul 2005 10:28:37 -0700,
Ray Martinez wrote:
Hi Ed:

Velikovsky proves that when the Bible is evidenced to be true - this is
what the protest is about.

Since Vel was a naturalist and an atheist his evidence supporting the
Bible remains the only reason for the attempted blacklisting.

This proves the bias of mainstream science that truth must not include
any evidence for the Bible lest our atheist worldviews are decimated.

Good piece Ed.

Look, starstruck lovers have found one another!

That is pretty funny.

Also very funny is that fact that Ray Martinez thinks we laugh at
Velikovsky because he quotes the Bible (badly), instead of laughing at
him because his physics is a bottomless well of stupidity.

Take the log out of your own eye, Ray Martinez, before you begin to
disparage the motives of others.

__
To be inerrant is to never know the truth.
John Vreeland - replace "eye-tripoli" with the appropriate tetragrammaton

Old July 8th 05, 12:34 AM
Christopher Jahn

"Ray Martinez" wrote in
oups.com:

Since Vel was a naturalist and an atheist his evidence supporting the
Bible remains the only reason for the attempted blacklisting.

That, and the fact that he didn't know what he was talking about.

--
}:-) Christopher Jahn
{:-( http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

And I alone am returned to wag the tail.

Old July 8th 05, 02:46 AM
Steve Hayes

On 7 Jul 2005 10:28:37 -0700, "Ray Martinez" wrote:

Hi Ed:

Velikovsky proves that when the Bible is evidenced to be true - this is
what the protest is about.

No, the protestr is about the slimeball spammer Ed Conrad, because Velikovsky
made no contribution to genealogy whatsoever.

--
Steve Hayes
E-mail: (see web page if it doesn't work)

Old July 8th 05, 05:51 AM
Matt Silberstein

On 7 Jul 2005 10:28:37 -0700, in talk.origins , "Ray Martinez"
in
.com wrote:

Hi Ed:

Velikovsky proves that when the Bible is evidenced to be true - this is
what the protest is about.

Since Vel was a naturalist and an atheist his evidence supporting the
Bible remains the only reason for the attempted blacklisting.

This proves the bias of mainstream science that truth must not include
any evidence for the Bible lest our atheist worldviews are decimated.

There is something absolutely perfect about this logic. So self
supporting, so complete.

--
Matt Silberstein

I needed a drink, I needed a lot of life insurance, I needed a vacation, I needed a home in the country. What I had was a coat, a hat and a gun.

Raymond Chandler