Lunar Activity

Old July 9th 03, 08:42 PM
BenignVanilla

Default Lunar Activity

Do we still find new craters on the moon every now and then? Or was the
damage all done in an early, more entropy-rich solar system?

--
BenignVanilla
Pond Site: www.darofamily.com/jeff/links/mypond

Old July 9th 03, 08:47 PM
Rick

"BenignVanilla" m wrote in message ...
Do we still find new craters on the moon every now and then? Or was the
damage all done in an early, more entropy-rich solar system?

Not at all. Impacts were far more common in the early stages
of the solar system (more stuff was floating around back then)
but impacts continue today. We almost got blindsided by a
meteor just a few months ago.

RickW

Old July 9th 03, 08:49 PM
BenignVanilla

"Rick" wrote in message
"BenignVanilla" m wrote

in message ...
Do we still find new craters on the moon every now and then? Or was the
damage all done in an early, more entropy-rich solar system?

Not at all. Impacts were far more common in the early stages
of the solar system (more stuff was floating around back then)
but impacts continue today. We almost got blindsided by a
meteor just a few months ago.

I was observing the moon last night, and wondered, "What would an impact
look like?" I wonder if a large enough event could occur that would be
visible to us on earth? I also wonder if the moon acts a bit like a shield,
attracting the more deadly debris to it before it can reach earth. A sort of
lunar broom. Not so iffy, as Bert would say.

BV.

Old July 9th 03, 11:17 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

In message , Rick
writes
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote in message ...
"Rick" wrote in message
"BenignVanilla" m wrote

in message ...
Do we still find new craters on the moon every now and then? Or was the
damage all done in an early, more entropy-rich solar system?

Not at all. Impacts were far more common in the early stages
of the solar system (more stuff was floating around back then)
but impacts continue today. We almost got blindsided by a
meteor just a few months ago.

I was observing the moon last night, and wondered, "What would an impact
look like?" I wonder if a large enough event could occur that would be
visible to us on earth?

Absolutely. Do a web search for "June 18, 1178" and start
reading.

That was the observation by monks at Canterbury of the impact that may
have formed Giordano Bruno, but the idea has since been doubted. An
impact that big would have thrown millions of tons of rock into space,
and some of it would have fallen to Earth, producing a spectacular
meteor shower. No such shower was seen.
There was also a possible impact on the Moon in the 1950s, which
supposedly produced a crater visible in a Clementine image, but again,
that's now doubtful.
However, there's no doubt that the impacts of Leonid meteors have been
seen.
--
"Roads in space for rockets to travel...four-dimensional roads, curving with
relativity"
Old July 10th 03, 03:43 AM
Rick

"Jonathan Silverlight" wrote in message ...
In message , Rick
writes
"BenignVanilla" m
wrote in message ...
"Rick" wrote in message
"BenignVanilla" m wrote
in message ...
[...]

That's pure conjecture. And in any event there are more than
one relatively new craters on the moon, and that event could
have caused any of them . It depends on where the meteor
landed, from which direction it hit and where the moon was in
its orbit around Earth. In fact there was a relatively large
meteor shower reported by the Koreans, a few months after
the event.

RickW

The Apollo Hoax FAQ (is not spam) :-) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 5 July 29th 04 06:14 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge Astronomy Misc 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla Astronomy Misc 15 July 25th 04 02:57 PM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones Astronomy Misc 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM