2 sightings

Old October 15th 03, 02:23 PM
Tony Vinci

Default 2 sightings

(1) Last evening (Wed.14th @ 1937 PDT) I witnessed my first
Iridium flare. It was Iridium 17 and was quite impressive.
Flare occurred exactly on time as per Heavens-Above and
was quite bright for 6-7 secs. and then steadily decreased
and disappeared completely in about 10 more secs. I had
never really tried to see one before but will do so more
often from now on. There is a daytime flare scheduled for
Sun. 19th a little after 3 pm (my location Las Vegas, NV)
and I am looking forward to seeing that one.

(2) I read a newsgroup posting about the Shenzhou 5
satellite being visible from my location this morning and
again VOILA! right on schedule I saw it transit from the
Northwest to the Northeast at 6 am PDT. My vision is not
all that good and most of my sightings are via binoculars
as was this one. My wife does a lot of viewing with me and
she has good eyesight and most often will see a satellite
before I do and she will then get me looking at the proper
spot. This was the case with this one. She saw it first.
This is a notable sighting (for me) because as I understand
it will be gone from the sky shortly and therefor never to
be seen again by anyone.... but I saw it!!!

Sorry for the rambling. Just wanted to share my experiences.

Tony
Old October 15th 03, 03:34 PM
Larry Brash

Tony Vinci wrote:

(1) Last evening (Wed.14th @ 1937 PDT) I witnessed my first
Iridium flare. It was Iridium 17 and was quite impressive.
Flare occurred exactly on time as per Heavens-Above and
was quite bright for 6-7 secs. and then steadily decreased
and disappeared completely in about 10 more secs. I had
never really tried to see one before but will do so more
often from now on. There is a daytime flare scheduled for
Sun. 19th a little after 3 pm (my location Las Vegas, NV)
and I am looking forward to seeing that one.

Daytime flares are hard to see even with H-A's predictions.

I have seen two out of a dozen or more attempts.

A few pointers:

1. Only try those that are well away from the Sun.
2. Recheck the H-A prediction close to the time. They may have been adjusted
3. It has to be a perfectly clear sky.
4. Have your watch exactly synchronised to the time.
5. 5-10 minutes before hand, get your direction exact as possible; use a compass.
6. Get your height as exact as possible; 10 degrees is the width of your
fist at your out-stretched arm.
7. Have the spot worked out in the sky.
8. Watch your time. When 10 seconds out, do a countdown while watching
the spot, not your watch.
9. The flare is visible for about 2 seconds. By the time you say "there
it is", it is gone.
10. Expect to be disappointed that you missed it.

--
Larry Brash

Old October 15th 03, 06:14 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , Tony Vinci wrote:

This is a notable sighting (for me) because as I understand
it will be gone from the sky shortly and therefor never to
be seen again by anyone.... but I saw it!!!

The Shenzou orbital module, on previous flights, has remained in orbit
for scientific (or possibly ELINT) purposes, AIUI, on prior occasions -
so at least *part* of it will be up there for a while longer...

--
-Andrew Gray

Old October 15th 03, 08:55 PM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Tony Vinci wrote:
(1) Last evening (Wed.14th @ 1937 PDT) I witnessed my first
Iridium flare. It was Iridium 17 and was quite impressive.

That's great, Tony. Are you addicted yet? :-)

(2) I read a newsgroup posting about the Shenzhou 5
satellite being visible from my location this morning and
again VOILA! right on schedule I saw it transit from the
Northwest to the Northeast at 6 am PDT.

Congratulations! It's an historic event, so I can understand
your excitement at seeing it.

Patty