(Last) name from the past at NASA

Old April 5th 10, 10:39 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Stevenson

Default (Last) name from the past at NASA

Just heard the Flight Director for the STS-131 launch is Bryan Lunney.

He's the son of Apollo-era FD Glynn Lunney.

I'm probably the last person to find that out, but I thought I'd
mention it, just in case.

take care,
Scott
Old April 5th 10, 04:56 PM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_899_]

Scott Stevenson wrote:
Just heard the Flight Director for the STS-131 launch is Bryan Lunney.

He's the son of Apollo-era FD Glynn Lunney.

I'm probably the last person to find that out, but I thought I'd
mention it, just in case.

take care,
Scott

And we've had the sons of previous astronauts follow in their fathers
footsteps. (I don't know of any daughters yet.)

It's actually a positive sign in my mind to see this happen. We've been
going into space long enough that 2nd and soon 3rd generations of families
will be flying or controlling flights.

--
Greg Moore
Ask me about lily, an RPI based CMC.

Old April 6th 10, 12:16 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 4/5/2010 7:56 AM, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
And we've had the sons of previous astronauts follow in their fathers
footsteps. (I don't know of any daughters yet.)

It's actually a positive sign in my mind to see this happen. We've been
going into space long enough that 2nd and soon 3rd generations of families
will be flying or controlling flights.

IIRC, there are some second generation cosmonauts in Russia also.

Pat
Old April 6th 10, 12:35 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
Scott Stevenson wrote:
Just heard the Flight Director for the STS-131 launch is Bryan Lunney.

He's the son of Apollo-era FD Glynn Lunney.

I'm probably the last person to find that out, but I thought I'd
mention it, just in case.

take care,
Scott

And we've had the sons of previous astronauts follow in their fathers
footsteps. (I don't know of any daughters yet.)

Bob Crippen's daughter works at JSC, as do several of Gene Kranz's
daughters.
Old April 6th 10, 01:22 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_901_]

Pat Flannery wrote:
On 4/5/2010 7:56 AM, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
And we've had the sons of previous astronauts follow in their fathers
footsteps. (I don't know of any daughters yet.)

It's actually a positive sign in my mind to see this happen. We've
been going into space long enough that 2nd and soon 3rd generations
of families will be flying or controlling flights.

IIRC, there are some second generation cosmonauts in Russia also.

Ayup. I can't recall any of their names, but I do recall hearing of one who
had flown.

Pat

Old April 6th 10, 01:23 AM posted to sci.space.history
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)[_902_]

Jorge R. Frank wrote:
Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
Scott Stevenson wrote:
Just heard the Flight Director for the STS-131 launch is Bryan
Lunney. He's the son of Apollo-era FD Glynn Lunney.

I'm probably the last person to find that out, but I thought I'd
mention it, just in case.

take care,
Scott

And we've had the sons of previous astronauts follow in their fathers
footsteps. (I don't know of any daughters yet.)

Bob Crippen's daughter works at JSC, as do several of Gene Kranz's
daughters.

Interesting. Didn't realize any of them were working there cool.

Next we'll have to have the 2nd generation of the women in the program.

Old April 6th 10, 01:29 AM posted to sci.space.history
Fevric J. Glandules

Pat Flannery wrote:

On 4/5/2010 7:56 AM, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
And we've had the sons of previous astronauts follow in their fathers
footsteps. (I don't know of any daughters yet.)

It's actually a positive sign in my mind to see this happen. We've been
going into space long enough that 2nd and soon 3rd generations of families
will be flying or controlling flights.

IIRC, there are some second generation cosmonauts in Russia also.

Sergei Volkov is the only one I know of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_...drovich_Volkov
who flew with this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Garriott
who is not officially an astronaut, merely a "space flight
participant" in NASA-speak, but is the son of an astronaut.

That's it, on both sides, AFAIK.
Old April 6th 10, 03:32 AM posted to sci.space.history
Jorge R. Frank

Fevric J. Glandules wrote:
Pat Flannery wrote:

On 4/5/2010 7:56 AM, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
And we've had the sons of previous astronauts follow in their fathers
footsteps. (I don't know of any daughters yet.)

It's actually a positive sign in my mind to see this happen. We've been
going into space long enough that 2nd and soon 3rd generations of families
will be flying or controlling flights.

IIRC, there are some second generation cosmonauts in Russia also.

Sergei Volkov is the only one I know of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_...drovich_Volkov
who flew with this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Garriott
who is not officially an astronaut, merely a "space flight
participant" in NASA-speak, but is the son of an astronaut.

That's it, on both sides, AFAIK.

If you broaden the net to NASA managers as well as astronauts, astronaut
G. David Low was the son of Apollo program manager George Low.
Old April 6th 10, 07:28 AM posted to sci.space.history
Alfred S. Dert[_2_]

Fevric J. Glandules schrieb:
Pat Flannery wrote:

On 4/5/2010 7:56 AM, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:
And we've had the sons of previous astronauts follow in their fathers
footsteps. (I don't know of any daughters yet.)

It's actually a positive sign in my mind to see this happen. We've been
going into space long enough that 2nd and soon 3rd generations of families
will be flying or controlling flights.

IIRC, there are some second generation cosmonauts in Russia also.

Sergei Volkov is the only one I know of:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_...drovich_Volkov
who flew with this guy:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Garriott
who is not officially an astronaut, merely a "space flight
participant" in NASA-speak, but is the son of an astronaut.

That's it, on both sides, AFAIK.

One mo
Roman Romanenko made his first flight in May last year.
He is the son of Yuri Romanenko, who flew into space
three times between 1977 and 1987.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Romanenko
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Romanenko

If you consider unflown cosmonauts:

Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Skvortsov,
the commander of the Soyuz that was launched a few days ago,
is the son of Aleksandr Aleksandrovich Skvortsov,
who was selected as cosmonaut in 1965,
but didn't make a space flight:

http://www.spacefacts.de/bios/cosmon...ksandr_sen.htm
http://www.spacefacts.de/bios/cosmon...eksandr_jr.htm
Old April 6th 10, 09:27 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

On 4/5/2010 4:22 PM, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

IIRC, there are some second generation cosmonauts in Russia also.

Ayup. I can't recall any of their names, but I do recall hearing of one who
had flown.

Here's one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergey_...drovich_Volkov

Pat