RIP, Oriana Fallaci

Old September 15th 06, 05:09 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

Default RIP, Oriana Fallaci

http://enews.earthlink.net/article/i...915-1821174886

A brave woman, and a great journalist. She never got around to paying
Pete Conrad's bet. Perhaps she'll do it now.
Old September 15th 06, 07:52 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Mike Combs[_1_]

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
http://enews.earthlink.net/article/i...915-1821174886

A brave woman, and a great journalist. She never got around to paying
Pete Conrad's bet. Perhaps she'll do it now.

Oh now I'd be interested in hearing more about that. What bet did she
having going with Captain Pete?

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Old September 15th 06, 08:15 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 13:52:34 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Mike
Combs" made the phosphor on my

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
http://enews.earthlink.net/article/i...915-1821174886

A brave woman, and a great journalist. She never got around to paying
Pete Conrad's bet. Perhaps she'll do it now.

Oh now I'd be interested in hearing more about that. What bet did she
having going with Captain Pete?

She apparently believed that NASA scripted the astronauts' words when
they went to the moon. Pete told her that Armstrong chose his own
words, and that he, Pete, could say whatever he wanted when he stepped
out. She didn't believe him, and bet him five hundred bucks that he
couldn't say what he eventually said ("...it might have been a small
step for Neil, but it was a pretty big one for me").
Old September 16th 06, 01:01 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

Rand Simberg wrote:
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 13:52:34 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Mike
Combs" made the phosphor on my
"Rand Simberg" wrote in message

A brave woman, and a great journalist. She never got around to paying
Pete Conrad's bet. Perhaps she'll do it now.

Oh now I'd be interested in hearing more about that. What bet did she
having going with Captain Pete?

She didn't believe him, and bet him five hundred bucks that he
couldn't say what he eventually said ("...it might have been a small
step for Neil, but it was a pretty big one for me").

In that case, I'm afraid it is too late. While we don't really know
anything about the afterlife, one thing we can be relatively sure of...
they don't have money there.

Although somehow in Heaven, coin and stamp collectors should be able to
pursue their interests... and then there is the question of Chinese
funeral customs.

John Savard

Old September 16th 06, 01:24 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

wrote:

While we don't really know
anything about the afterlife, one thing we can be relatively sure of...
they don't have money there.

Thank God for small favors.

Pat
Old September 17th 06, 05:24 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

Jonathan Silverlight wrote:

If they have PINs (PIN number is an example of RAS Syndrome) it isn't
heaven! OTOH, hell is much more fun, as Robert Heinlein wrote.

After reading Johnny Rico's letter from his mother, I know what Hell is.
Hell is a place where it's always a dark and stormy night. ;-)

Pat
Old September 20th 06, 05:28 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
[email protected]

What a piece of work she was! A New Yorker profile of Fallaci earlier
this summer contained this great nugget:

"Forced to wear a chador while interviewing the Ayotollah Khomeini,
Fallaci asked a more insolent question: 'How do you swim in a chador?'
Khomeini snapped, 'Our customs are none of your business. If you do not
like Islamic dress you are not obliged to wear it. Because Islamic
dress is for good and proper young women.' Fallaci saw an opening, and
charged in. 'That's very kind of you, Imam. And since you said so,
I'm going to take off this stupid, medieval rag right now.' She
yanked off her chador."

She had spunk, R.I.P..

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/conten.../060605fa_fact

frank