Hondurans Get Their Moonrock Back

Old October 1st 03, 06:20 PM
Stuf4

From Henry Spencer:
Robert Pearlman wrote:
(There was also a similar presentation of moon rock using a sample
returned by Apollo 11...

Dust, not rock. At the time there was strong feeling that the rocks --
much more scientifically valuable -- should not be used as gifts, not
to anyone.

I'd say that it's a stretch to call *any* of these samples -rocks-.
One advantage to the lucite ball is that it gives the optical illusion
that the tiny chunk is almost as big as a pebble.

~ CT
Old October 1st 03, 06:27 PM
Stuf4

From Robert Pearlman:
This person I know of was thoroughly convinced in his rock's
authenticity. I did not question him at the time, but I do agree that
there is a chance that his is only a replica.

If it is claimed to come from Apollo, it isn't a replica and it wasn't
purchased from a foreign country in a legal sale, then it was stolen
-- without question. The U.S. never awarded a moon rock to an
individual and no one working for the program was ever authorized to
give one away.

I see at least two other possible explanations:

- NASA did give away some rocks and never told anyone else about it,
or
- NASA transferred possession of these "gifts" without technically
transferring ownership.

snip
Related information:

snip
http://www.collectspace.com/news/news-062902a.html

Here's something I find interesting on this page:
____________

March 28 -- Presented in its entirely in PDF format: "Findings of Fact
and Conclusions of Law usvmoonrock.pdf" for "UNITED STATES OF
AMERICA VS. ONE LUCITE BALL CONTAINING LUNAR MATERIAL (ONE MOON ROCK)
AND ONE TEN INCH BY FOURTEEN INCH WOODEN PLAQUE" as ordered by US
District Judge Adelberto Jordan on March 24.
____________

This case was prosecuted "in rem" (vice "in personam"). What you have
here is a *rock* being found guilty of breaking the law. With "in
rem" attempting to uphold property rights across international
borders, the focus of the ruling from the US court was Honduran law.
I don't see how such legal fiction can stand Constitutional muster.
It is used as a convenient tool for the government to justify taking
whatever it wants (most often, drugs).

Well, I guess we can at least be glad that the US govt didn't sentence
the rock to "life in LRL prison".

What would really be convoluted is to see the rock counter-sue the US
govt on the basis that no one can own it. A point made with previous
lunar rock theft cases is the view that the first "theft" happened on
the Moon (ref http://tinyurl.com/pc83). How strange to think that if
such a point were ever pressed, the US Supreme Court might hold the
entire Moon as the defendant, under "in rem" precedent.

~ CT