Elektron repair attempt fails

Old October 30th 06, 08:38 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jim Oberg[_1_]

Default Elektron repair attempt fails

Spare parts installed, Elektron still has bubble-trouble,
planned activation for tomorrow now on hold (that
'could happen', Navias says, despite 'chronic problem'
of bubbles in the line). Navias assures listeners that 4 months
of oxygen is on board the station -- 'no shortage of oxygen
on board the station' -- but that's not the issue and he knows it.
Without a functioning Elektron, there is no reliable CSCS option
for the Discovery crew.

Old October 30th 06, 11:00 PM posted to sci.space.station
Derek Lyons

"Jim Oberg" wrote:

Spare parts installed, Elektron still has bubble-trouble,
planned activation for tomorrow now on hold (that
'could happen', Navias says, despite 'chronic problem'
of bubbles in the line). Navias assures listeners that 4 months
of oxygen is on board the station -- 'no shortage of oxygen
on board the station'

This statement reminds me of a thought attributed to a citizen of a
nation busily losing WWII - "_____ noted that though his country kept
winning battles, the Great Victories were occurring ever closer to
home".

-- but that's not the issue and he knows it. Without a functioning
Elektron, there is no reliable CSCS option for the Discovery crew.

In May 2005, it was announced[1] that there was enough O2 for 'safe
haven'. What has changed since then? (Or was that report incorrect?)
I can't find any past estimates of O2 reserves googling about in this
group - though I know they've been posted when discussing Elektron.

Are we winning battles ever closer to home?

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/sci.s...68a5e40cff 47

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Old October 31st 06, 05:50 AM posted to sci.space.station
John Doe

Jim Oberg wrote:
on board the station' -- but that's not the issue and he knows it.
Without a functioning Elektron, there is no reliable CSCS option
for the Discovery crew.

With the installation of additional solar panels, what is the excuse
NASA is using for not activating the US O2 generator ?

Isn't there sufficient electrical power now to run the famous US O2
generator ?

Is there really a valid reason for waiting until next year to even start
testing it ?

Or does NASA really not interested in turning it on to find that it
might be as reliable as Elektron or CDRA ?
Old October 31st 06, 11:49 AM posted to sci.space.station
Jim Oberg[_1_]

"Derek Lyons" wrote
In May 2005, it was announced[1] that there was enough O2 for 'safe
haven'. What has changed since then? (Or was that report incorrect?)
I can't find any past estimates of O2 reserves googling about in this
group - though I know they've been posted when discussing Elektron.

There is enough if elektron is functioning, or OGS goes on line.

Old October 31st 06, 11:50 AM posted to sci.space.station
Jim Oberg[_1_]

Some plumbing hardware is needed, plus a LOT of crew time,
including EVA . But that may be added to 116 and to the
on-orbit EVA schedule.

Old October 31st 06, 01:41 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jeff Findley

"Jim Oberg" wrote in message

Some plumbing hardware is needed, plus a LOT of crew time,
including EVA . But that may be added to 116 and to the
on-orbit EVA schedule.

Lack of early US O2 generation was always a concern for many of the readers
here, especially given the Mir experience with Elektrons. I'd always hoped
that the Russians had learned from the Mir failures and made fixes to the
Elektron design for ISS, but the fact that we have two failed Elektrons on
ISS and assembly isn't even done seems to indicate otherwise.

So in this case, the Russians certainly haven't lived up to my expectations.
They have, however, been doing a fairly good job of sending up Soyuz and
Progress at regular intervals, which is good considering the clear lack of a
US crew escape vehicle.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Old October 31st 06, 02:08 PM posted to sci.space.station
Jorge R. Frank

John Doe wrote in :

Jim Oberg wrote:
on board the station' -- but that's not the issue and he knows it.
Without a functioning Elektron, there is no reliable CSCS option
for the Discovery crew.

With the installation of additional solar panels, what is the excuse
NASA is using for not activating the US O2 generator ?

The software that runs it (CCS R6) hasn't been uplinked yet, because it's
not ready yet. Remember, the launch of the oxygen generator itself was
accelerated. That was merely to ensure that it would already be in space
and ready to go when the software was ready.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old November 1st 06, 03:26 AM posted to sci.space.station
John Doe

Jeff Findley wrote:
I'd always hoped
that the Russians had learned from the Mir failures and made fixes to the
Elektron design for ISS, but the fact that we have two failed Elektrons on
ISS and assembly isn't even done seems to indicate otherwise.

Until anyone can make an O2 generator work reliably for a long time in
0G, one should reserve judgement about the Russian experience.

If they ever activate the US generator and actually make it the primary
O2 generator for the station (aka: same duty cycles as Elektron as
opposed to just starting it now and then for a few hours as an
experiment), and if that generator does prove to be reliable, only then
can you claim that the Russians failed to fix their Elektron.

Consider the possibility that RELIABLY extracting O2 and H2 bubbles in a
0G environment is not possible unless you perform the electrolysis in a
centrifuge to create artificial "gravity").
Old November 1st 06, 03:38 AM posted to sci.space.station
John Doe

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote:
The software that runs it (CCS R6) hasn't been uplinked yet, because it's
not ready yet.

Had the shuttle not been gounded for years because of Columbia, would
this software then be many years late and NASA having to stop assembly
process because the software to control the new hardware wasn't ready ?

Or is this a case of the software having been ready years ago, but won't
be uploaded until more modules are sent up ?
Old November 1st 06, 04:32 AM posted to sci.space.station
Derek Lyons

John Doe wrote:

Jeff Findley wrote:
I'd always hoped
that the Russians had learned from the Mir failures and made fixes to the
Elektron design for ISS, but the fact that we have two failed Elektrons on
ISS and assembly isn't even done seems to indicate otherwise.

Until anyone can make an O2 generator work reliably for a long time in
0G, one should reserve judgement about the Russian experience.

Horse****. Regardless of the performance of, or even the existence
of, anyone elses unit - the performance of Elektron is abysmal.

If they ever activate the US generator and actually make it the primary
O2 generator for the station (aka: same duty cycles as Elektron as
opposed to just starting it now and then for a few hours as an
experiment), and if that generator does prove to be reliable,

Ah... Now we see your motive. You are cheerleading the all-singing,
all-dancing Russian chorus line.

only then can you claim that the Russians failed to fix their Elektron.

Horse****. The status of Elektron is the same *regardless* of the
existence or performance of anyone elses unit.

D.