40 years ago today, first corned beef sandwich in orbit

Old March 24th 05, 01:01 AM
Rusty

Default 40 years ago today, first corned beef sandwich in orbit

Forty years ago today, March 23, 1965, Gus Grissom and John Young were
launched into orbit aboard the Molly Brown (Gemini 3). Gus performed
the first orbital maneuvers with a manned spacecraft and John offered
Gus a corned beef sandwich. I remember reading somewhere that the
sandwich (with a bite out of it) was preserved in plexiglas.

Rusty

Old March 24th 05, 03:18 AM
Skylon

Rusty wrote:
Forty years ago today, March 23, 1965, Gus Grissom and John Young

were
launched into orbit aboard the Molly Brown (Gemini 3). Gus performed
the first orbital maneuvers with a manned spacecraft and John offered
Gus a corned beef sandwich. I remember reading somewhere that the
sandwich (with a bite out of it) was preserved in plexiglas.

Rusty

Heh. Ironically I just visited the USS Intrepid museum in NYC today.
Didn't know it had been the recovery ship for GT 3 till I was looking
around.

Really nice museum. Noted a video running near a Gemini mock-up with
John Young...didn't pay it much note as I was at that point trying to
find my way to the flight deck.

I hope to God you're joking about the sandwhich being preserved.

-A.L.

Old March 24th 05, 08:06 AM
Pat Flannery

Skylon wrote:

Really nice museum. Noted a video running near a Gemini mock-up with
John Young...didn't pay it much note as I was at that point trying to
find my way to the flight deck.

I would think that any stairs going upwards would probably get you there
sooner or later. :-)

Pat
Old March 24th 05, 08:17 PM

Rusty wrote:
Forty years ago today, March 23, 1965, Gus Grissom and John Young

were
launched into orbit aboard the Molly Brown (Gemini 3). Gus performed
the first orbital maneuvers with a manned spacecraft and John offered
Gus a corned beef sandwich. I remember reading somewhere that the
sandwich (with a bite out of it) was preserved in plexiglas.

Rusty

almost correct! there is no bite missing.

Old March 25th 05, 12:30 AM
Rusty

Rusty wrote:
Forty years ago today, March 23, 1965, Gus Grissom and John Young

were
launched into orbit aboard the Molly Brown (Gemini 3). Gus

performed
the first orbital maneuvers with a manned spacecraft and John

offered
Gus a corned beef sandwich. I remember reading somewhere that the
sandwich (with a bite out of it) was preserved in plexiglas.

Rusty

almost correct! there is no bite missing.

So when they observed the crumbs starting to float around the cabin,
they
put the sandwich away, without tasting it.

But later crews did make sandwiches. I remember seeing a video of a TV
broadcast from Apollo 11 on the way to the moon. Buzz Aldin was
spreading
something (peanut butter? deviled ham?) on a slice of bread to show how
the crew prepared some of their food in space.

Thanks for the confirmation that the Molly Brown corned beef sandwich
was
preserved.

Rusty

Old March 25th 05, 02:49 AM

Rusty wrote:
wrote:
Rusty wrote:
[...]

sorta, it's an exact replica (the orignal was consumed) from
wolfies (ramada inn) sandwich bar (next door to the holiday inn) now
holiday inn property. did you ever hear about the first heard (herd)
shot around the world? it was also on the same flight.....

Old March 25th 05, 05:14 AM
Neil Gerace

"Rusty" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the confirmation that the Molly Brown corned beef sandwich
was preserved.

What happened to that can of Tang?

Old March 25th 05, 07:04 AM

Neil Gerace wrote:
"Rusty" wrote in message
oups.com...

Thanks for the confirmation that the Molly Brown corned beef

sandwich
was preserved.

What happened to that can of Tang?

excuse me, there was no "tang", that's a myth. they had an
orange drink, it wasn't "tang". we had lots of "space food" at home,
but "tang" wasn't one of them. that will drive henery spencer and
nosley nutz....

Old March 25th 05, 08:08 AM
OM

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 13:14:27 +0800, "Neil Gerace"
wrote:

"Rusty" wrote in message
roups.com...

Thanks for the confirmation that the Molly Brown corned beef sandwich
was preserved.

What happened to that can of Tang?

....It wasn't all it was farted up to be.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr