If we could would cloning Von Braun be a good idea?

Old February 24th 04, 02:44 PM
Herb Schaltegger

Peter Stickney wrote:

In article ,
Pat Flannery writes:

Lou Scheffer wrote:

still the odds strongly imply that at least some of these folks
are born into safe environments with supportive parents, and all the
opportunity they need. So what exactly *are* these folks doing?

You just wait to you lay eyes on one of my winged lampreys for the first
time...seconds before its fearsome hundred-toothed jawless mouth shreds
your eyeball into jelly and starts sucking the brain out of your head...

"Better living...and dying ...through genetic engineering!"

Hah! I'll see your Winged Lamprey, and raise you the Noseeumuskie - a
devilish cross between a New England Black Fly and a Nothern
Muskellunge. With the stealth characteristics of the Black Fly, and
the insatiable appetite of the Muskie, you out there in the Great Flat
Spot don't stand a chance.
And then there's the Blunt-Billed Rockpecker, the only known predator
of the Canadian Rockworm - easily attracted to bird-feeders filled
with a Black Oil Sunflower Seed, Pea Gravel and Aspirin mix, and known
for its call of "OwOwOwOwieOohOuch!".

All right, already! Who gave the inmates internet access? And how the hell
can they type in straitjackets?!?!

;-)

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
Reformed Aerospace Engineer
Old February 24th 04, 05:48 PM
Andrew Gray

In article , Lou
Scheffer wrote:

Granted that some of these immensely talented people will be denied
any chance to use their gifts, and that any wasted potential is too
much, still the odds strongly imply that at least some of these folks
are born into safe environments with supportive parents, and all the
opportunity they need. So what exactly *are* these folks doing?

ObFollowup: Oh, not too bad. And yourself?

--
-Andrew Gray

Old February 24th 04, 06:53 PM
Hobbs aka McDaniel

(Lou Scheffer) wrote in message . com...
(Hobbs aka McDaniel) wrote in message . com...

I think that a lot of people have whatever genetic aspect is
required for one to become a 'genius' but they never reach
their full potential due to lack of opportunity and, or
interest.

This to me is a fascinating point. Just looking at the number of
people alive today, the odds are overwhelming that there are at least
10-100 people who have more genetic talent for math than Gauss, Euler,
or Newton. Likewise there must be many alive who could be better
composers than Beethoven or Mozart, better artists than Michaelangelo,
better generalists than DaVinci or Jefferson, better writers than
Shakespeare, and so on.

Where are these people, and what the heck are they doing??

I know some very talented people like a gal who is definitely
one of the top musicians in the country but unknown outside
of a relaively unknown national music competion and small
venues. People like this are limited by their inability to
organize, plan and execute... or they haven't met somebody
who can push them to get greater recognition. It is very
rare to find somebody with both TALENT and the DRIVE to
make themselves highly visible. It's very easy to find people
with just one of these two things.

If "Newton" is afraid to try and publish his work or he doesn't
finish it then very few people are going to know about him.
I saw a story on a TV news program some months back about a
rural Chinese farmer with zero formal education beyond basic
grade school stuff who builds fantastic robots from random
spare parts to do chores around his farm. Maybe he's a budding
Einstein or something

-McDaniel
Old February 24th 04, 08:12 PM
Pat Flannery

Peter Stickney wrote:

Hah! I'll see your Winged Lamprey, and raise you the Noseeumuskie - a
devilish cross between a New England Black Fly and a Nothern
Muskellunge. With the stealth characteristics of the Black Fly, and
the insatiable appetite of the Muskie, you out there in the Great Flat
Spot don't stand a chance.
And then there's the Blunt-Billed Rockpecker, the only known predator
of the Canadian Rockworm - easily attracted to bird-feeders filled
with a Black Oil Sunflower Seed, Pea Gravel and Aspirin mix, and known
for its call of "OwOwOwOwieOohOuch!".

Venus Fly Trap + Redwood Tree = Venus Airliner Trap.

Pat

Old February 24th 04, 08:27 PM
Pat Flannery

Herb Schaltegger wrote:

All right, already! Who gave the inmates internet access?

The Supreme Court Of The United States, buddy! Under the Equal Access
For Loons decision (Loon vs. State Of Reality; 1999)

And how the hell
can they type in straitjackets?!?!

Let's just say that we have the most dexterous toes you have ever
seen....KILL CLOUSEAU!!!!

Former Chief Inspector Flannfuss