VARIABLE, NOT CONSTANT, SPEED OF LIGHT

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 20th 13, 07:41 AM posted to sci.astro
Pentcho Valev

Default VARIABLE, NOT CONSTANT, SPEED OF LIGHT

http://www.einstein-online.info/elem...speed_of_light
Albert Einstein Institute: "Suppose that I measure a particular light signal's speed, and find the usual value of 299,792.458 kilometers (186,000 miles) per second. If I see a fast spaceship chase right after that signal, moving at half the speed of light (c/2), I would expect that an observer on that spaceship would measure the speed of my light signal at merely c - c/2 = c/2, half the value that I measured. Not so, according to special relativity! Simply subtracting speeds would only give the correct answer if the observer on that space-ship measured space and time, distance and duration in the same way that I do. As we have seen on the previous page, that's not the case. From my point of view, for instance, the measuring rods on the speeding spaceship are shorter than my own, and its clocks run more slowly than mine. Taken together, all of these relativistic effects combine in precisely the right way to result in a surprising phenomenon: Even from the point of view of an observer on the speeding spaceship, my light signal moves with exactly the same speed, c=299,792.458 kilometers per second."

Typical circular reasoning in Einsteiniana - originally the length contraction and time dilation guaranteeing, in this scenario, the constancy of the speed of light, have been derived from the assumption that the speed of light is constant!

Here is a proof that, relative to the moving observer, the speed of light is c'=c-c/2, not c. Let a series of pulses the distance between which is 300000 km pass the stationary observer ("I") at a frequency of one per second (f=1). The frequency measured by the moving observer is f'=f/2=1/2, and accordingly the speed of the pulses relative to the moving observer is c'=300000*f'=c/2=150000km/s. Special relativity is violated.

The relativistic corrections change essentially nothing. For a speed of 0.5c gamma is 1.15 so f'(relativistic corrections taken into account)=1.15*f' and c'(relativistic corrections taken into account)=172500km/s. Special relativity remains violated.

Pentcho Valev