Missile Defense Budget for 07 is over $9 billion

Old December 3rd 06, 04:40 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jonathan

Default Missile Defense Budget for 07 is over $9 billion

Christ, I had no idea they were spending that much.
And how much of the budget of Nasa is indirectly
supporting the military?

Missile Defense budget
http://www.cdi.org/pdfs/Final%20Budg...2007%20MDA.pdf

"Figures provided to CRS show a total (classified and unclassified)
DOD space budget of $19.4 billion for FY2003, $20 billion for FY2004,
$19.8 billion for FY2005, and a request of $22.5 billion for FY2006."
http://www.ncseonline.org/NLE/CRS/ab...cfm?NLEid=1730

Pentagon Eyeing Weapons in Space
Published on Tuesday, March 14, 2006 by the Boston Globe
Budget seeks millions to test new technologies

"Philip Coyle, who served as the Pentagon's top weapons tester from 1994 to
2001,
said in an interview that he sees ''new emphasis on space weapons" even
though
''there is no threat in space to justify a new arms race in space."

''US missile defense is the first wave in which the United States could
introduce
attack weapons in space, that is, weapons with strike capability," he said.
''Once you've got space-based interceptors up there, they can just as well
be used for offense as defense."

Old December 3rd 06, 07:58 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jordan[_1_]

Jonathan wrote:
Christ, I had no idea they were spending that much.

I'm not surprised -- look at the recent developments in Iran and North
Korea. The day may come when historians wonder why we were spending so
_little_.

And how much of the budget of Nasa is indirectly
supporting the military?

Hard to slice it up like that -- you would run into questions of
multi-use capabilities, though you could cost it out on the basis of
_missions_.

This does in the long run help manned expansion into space, though,
because it creates a demand to move payload into orbit.

- Jordan

Old December 3rd 06, 09:41 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
William Elliot

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Jordan wrote:

Jonathan wrote:
Christ, I had no idea they were spending that much.

I'm not surprised -- look at the recent developments in Iran and North
Korea. The day may come when historians wonder why we were spending so
_little_.

Because US spent so little on being good and so very much on being bad.

Old December 3rd 06, 10:44 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
jacob navia

Jordan a écrit :
Jonathan wrote:

Christ, I had no idea they were spending that much.

I'm not surprised -- look at the recent developments in Iran and North
Korea. The day may come when historians wonder why we were spending so
_little_.

Yes. Go on spending. The dollar has fallen only 5% in the
last week. Just go on, then future historians will have
a hell of work to explain why the U.S. empire disappeared
in a mountain of DEBT.

Old December 3rd 06, 07:09 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jordan[_1_]

Jonathan wrote:
Christ, I had no idea they were spending that much.

I'm not surprised -- look at the recent developments in Iran and North
Korea. The day may come when historians wonder why we were spending so
_little_.

Because US spent so little on being good and so very much on being bad.

??? I think you need to unpack that.

- Jordan

Old December 3rd 06, 07:11 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jordan[_1_]

jacob navia wrote:
Jordan a écrit :
Jonathan wrote:

Christ, I had no idea they were spending that much.

I'm not surprised -- look at the recent developments in Iran and North
Korea. The day may come when historians wonder why we were spending so
_little_.

Yes. Go on spending. The dollar has fallen only 5% in the
last week. Just go on, then future historians will have
a hell of work to explain why the U.S. empire disappeared
in a mountain of DEBT.

A currency can fall based on printing too many dollars, or on having
too few goods. Nuclear missiles hitting one's own cities tend to
precipitously reduce the number of available goods.

- Jordan

Old December 4th 06, 01:53 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
William Elliot

Jonathan wrote:
Christ, I had no idea they were spending that much.

I'm not surprised -- look at the recent developments in Iran and North
Korea. The day may come when historians wonder why we were spending so
_little_.

Because US spent so little on being good and so very much on being bad.

??? I think you need to unpack that.

He knows if US has been good and if US has been bad.
US will get lumps of coal in US stockings for xmas.
Old December 4th 06, 07:28 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
Jordan[_1_]

William Elliot wrote:

He knows if US has been good and if US has been bad.
US will get lumps of coal in US stockings for xmas.

We need a strong national missile defense to deal with these so-called
"gift-bringing" incursions into our airspace every Dec. 25th!

(see _Nightmare Before Christmas_ for a lower-tech alternative) ;-)

Old December 5th 06, 06:02 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
William Elliot

On Mon, 4 Dec 2006, Jordan wrote:
William Elliot wrote:

He knows if US has been good and if US has been bad.
US will get lumps of coal in US stockings for xmas.

We need a strong national missile defense to deal with these so-called
"gift-bringing" incursions into our airspace every Dec. 25th!

Every home equipped with a Home Base missile!
Old December 5th 06, 07:46 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.policy
David McMillan

William Elliot wrote:
He knows if US has been good and if US has been bad.
US will get lumps of coal in US stockings for xmas.

We need a strong national missile defense to deal with these so-called
"gift-bringing" incursions into our airspace every Dec. 25th!

Every home equipped with a Home Base missile!

First it was Distributed Computing, now its Distributed Power Grids,
soon it'll be Distributed Aerospace Defense. See what those SETI@Home
guys started?