Read, Why We Must Flee Planet: The Geometry Is All Wrong

Old June 30th 06, 10:28 AM posted to sci.space.policy

Default Read, Why We Must Flee Planet: The Geometry Is All Wrong

I strongly suggest you read this article:

http://www.space.com/searchforlife/0..._thursday.html

GLB

Old June 30th 06, 03:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 05:28:24 -0400, "G. L. Bradford"
wrote, in part:

I strongly suggest you read this article:

http://www.space.com/searchforlife/0..._thursday.html

That's a thought. O'Neill colonies will make the most efficient use of
the Solar System.

Still, though, I think we'll confine ourselves to using the asteroids
and such. Breaking up Earth, or even truly useless Venus, doesn't seem
like a rational thing to do - unless, of course, population growth is
uncontrollable.

John Savard
http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download
Old June 30th 06, 05:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy

G. L. Bradford wrote:

I strongly suggest you read this article:

http://www.space.com/searchforlife/0..._thursday.html

GLB

A good article!

Has anyone seen the Gundam cartoons? I'm told Gundam uses the ideas of
Gerard O'Neill a lot.

Perhaps this is a corner of science fiction where planetary chauvinism
doesn't prevail.

Hop
Old June 30th 06, 06:30 PM posted to sci.space.policy

"John Savard" wrote in message

Still, though, I think we'll confine ourselves to using the asteroids
and such. Breaking up Earth, or even truly useless Venus, doesn't seem
like a rational thing to do - unless, of course, population growth is
uncontrollable.

I remember an SF short story where they had to dismantle the Earth to build
a sphere around Jupiter just to contain the waste heat as they converted and
disassembled it. There were some stubborn squatters who were understandably
upset.

--

Regards,
Mike Combs

Old June 30th 06, 06:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy

"Hop David" wrote in message

Has anyone seen the Gundam cartoons? I'm told Gundam uses the ideas of
Gerard O'Neill a lot.

I've tried it a couple of times. Orbital habitats are part of the universe,
but one hardly ever sees them. Most of the emphasis is on giant fighting
robots and politics (and the politics is hopelessly labyrinthine for anyone
not willing to make a concerted effort to diligently keep up).

Old July 1st 06, 08:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy

wrote, in part:

I strongly suggest you read this article:

http://www.space.com/searchforlife/0..._thursday.html

That's a thought. O'Neill colonies will make the most efficient use of
the Solar System.

Still, though, I think we'll confine ourselves to using the asteroids
and such. Breaking up Earth, or even truly useless Venus, doesn't seem
like a rational thing to do - unless, of course, population growth is
uncontrollable.

John Savard

Just as with shrinking the distance-times on Earth, we will shrink the
distance-times of the solar system long before space colonization has hardly
even accessed for use a billionth part of the potential space and time, mass
and energy resource of the solar system. That shrinkage, that kind of
increased numbers, increased infrastructure, complexity, energies, powers,
usage, (a naturally growing ALIENATION), automatically leads to putting at
least a toehold in the door of the next vastness up to be shrunk: The next
space frontier out and beyond our solar system, wherever, whatever it may
be. Seth Shostak was dead wrong on that particular point. Alpha Centauri,
they might discover, might not even be in that next space frontier up.
Remember that Christopher Columbus was not shooting for the Americas when he
left on his voyage into the unknown of discovery. At least not that any
scientist of the era knew or could think of (all of them opposing the voyage
on grounds of a vastness of ocean too great). His stated goal was the East
Indies or Cathay, or even the Japans (sic)) -- whichever showed up first.
There may be a whole other universe of frontier, or frontiers, lying between
us and Alpha Centauri. Horizons of frontier even those future spacefaring
men and women cannot possibly see into until they are well, well along on
their way out and into them. Horizons of frontier that do not permit of
skipping steps (brute numbers, infrastructure, complexity, energies, powers,
a naturally growing ALIENATION (all told, the necessary increased
dimensionality being in hand -- painstakingly built up to; massively
expanded to -- as a pre-requisite 'physics' readiness for that next
frontier)).

GLB

Old July 2nd 06, 03:06 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Russell Wallace

Mike Combs wrote:
I've tried it a couple of times. Orbital habitats are part of the universe,
but one hardly ever sees them. Most of the emphasis is on giant fighting
robots and politics (and the politics is hopelessly labyrinthine for anyone
not willing to make a concerted effort to diligently keep up).

So basically you're saying it's pretty realistic then

--
"Always look on the bright side of life."
To reply by email, replace no.spam with my last name.
Old July 2nd 06, 03:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jorge R. Frank

"Mike Combs" wrote in
:

"Hop David" wrote in message

Has anyone seen the Gundam cartoons? I'm told Gundam uses the ideas
of Gerard O'Neill a lot.

I've tried it a couple of times. Orbital habitats are part of the
universe, but one hardly ever sees them. Most of the emphasis is on
giant fighting robots and politics (and the politics is hopelessly
labyrinthine for anyone not willing to make a concerted effort to
diligently keep up).

Which Gundam series did you watch? The older series tended to spend much
more screen time in the colonies than the series in the 90s.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old July 3rd 06, 06:54 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Mike Combs[_1_]

"Russell Wallace" wrote in message
Mike Combs wrote:
I've tried it a couple of times. Orbital habitats are part of the
universe, but one hardly ever sees them. Most of the emphasis is on
giant fighting robots and politics (and the politics is hopelessly
labyrinthine for anyone not willing to make a concerted effort to
diligently keep up).

So basically you're saying it's pretty realistic then

Oh, I woudn't say that. You see a girl saying lines like, "I'm the minister
plenipotentiary for the Romafeller administration," but then expect her to
brightly add, "and next week I turn 19!".

Old July 3rd 06, 07:00 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Mike Combs[_1_]

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote in message

Which Gundam series did you watch? The older series tended to spend much
more screen time in the colonies than the series in the 90s.

That could easily have been my problem. Do you have title recommendations
for someone who's interested in depictions of life inside an orbital
habitat?

Seems like I heard something about theatrical releases with 3-D CGI for the
habitats. (Makes sense; a large, slowly-rotating object means lots of
animation cells.) Know any titles?

--

Regards,
Mike Combs
By all that you hold dear on this good Earth
I bid you stand, Men of the West!
Aragorn

BREAKING NEWS! Billy Meier Right AGAIN! New Planet - Extraterrestrials -- Aliens - Space - Solar System - Evolution - Creation - Hubble. Ed Conrad Misc 5 August 2nd 05 03:02 PM
Astronomers Announce the Most Earth-Like Planet Yet Found Outside the Solar System [email protected] Astronomy Misc 1 June 14th 05 02:01 AM
Planet 'seen' around distant sun Paul Nutteing UK Astronomy 1 May 1st 05 11:57 AM
Pres. Kerry's NASA ed kyle Policy 354 March 11th 04 07:05 PM
Astronomers Find Jupiter-Like Planet 90 Light Years Away Ron Baalke Astronomy Misc 2 July 5th 03 04:19 AM