See what happens to rookies!!!!

Old January 25th 04, 03:38 AM
Doink

Default See what happens to rookies!!!!

Ok. I was the one asking about where to find a manual for a Celestron
Refractor...I'm getting good with my 8" EQ mounted reflector but the
refractor I just got is different...

I have been working a lot and never really have time lately to "play" with
my toys...the other night I took the new scope for a romp...first clear
night in a long time. I had a hell of a time with it but attributed that to
having a lot to learn about refractors...I was trying to split Castor, which
I succeeded in doing---I don't know how I did it because....

I didn't realize the diagonal hold had to be securely screwed in---yes, it
makes sense but my reflector parts are held by set screws!!!...The weight of
the eyepiece (a Radian) held it up and the eyepiece was secure enough....but
the diagonal would flop around on me...and sometimes go dark...If I held the
diagonal in place, I could see pretty good but there wasn't a lot of light
passing through (remember my posts asking about diagonals????!!!)....But,
with one hand holding the diagonal and one moving the tube, I managed to
line on to Castor. I switched to my 6mm Radian...all the while holding the
diagonal upright....of course, being new to refractors, I'm on my knees
too...I knew the legs extended but didn't think I would need too! Well, I
got the 6mm in and wow...there it was...nicely separated with 3.5 arc
seconds...then it went dark. The diagonal moved and I lost
everything...decided to come in...I was pleased anyway....so, last night I
discover that the diagonal holder screws in and the diagonal stays in place!
Wow! That will help...still, I wanted to get a better diagonal...it was
pretty dark...well, when I looked down the tube I saw that little cap and
pulled it off...so that's a 4" aperture? Looked like 1/2" I just
discovered today that the whole thing comes off and yeow! Look at the
light!

So, why a 2 piece lens cover? To keep rookies in the dark?????

Doink

Old January 25th 04, 03:47 AM
Bill Becker

"Doink" wrote in message
snip

..well, when I looked down the tube I saw that little cap and
pulled it off...so that's a 4" aperture? Looked like 1/2" I just
discovered today that the whole thing comes off and yeow! Look at the
light!

So, why a 2 piece lens cover? To keep rookies in the dark?????

Doink

I believe the original intent for the ~42mm opening in the lens cap was to
serve for some Solar projection use but..
who does that anymore? g

Welcome to full aperture, matey.

Best regards,
Bill

Old January 25th 04, 04:39 AM
CLT

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who does things like that!

;-)

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?
Try the Lunar Observing Group