No point in coming to s.a.a anymore

Old August 13th 07, 07:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Florian[_3_]

Default No point in coming to s.a.a anymore

Until or unless this sporge flood ends there is no point in coming to s.a.a anymore. What people gain by floods like this is beyond me. Take care everyone. And may the flooders die painful deaths.

..Florian

Old August 13th 07, 07:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Greg Crinklaw

Florian wrote:
Until or unless this sporge flood ends there is no point in coming to
s.a.a anymore. What people gain by floods like this is beyond me.
Take care everyone. And may the flooders die painful deaths.

.Florian

I don't know--I hadn't really noticed much difference. ;-)

--
Greg Crinklaw
Astronomical Software Developer

SkyTools: http://www.skyhound.com/cs.html
Observing: http://www.skyhound.com/sh/skyhound.html
Comets: http://comets.skyhound.com

To reply take out your eye
Old August 13th 07, 07:59 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Florian wrote:
Until or unless this sporge flood ends there is no point in coming to s.a.a anymore.
What people gain by floods like this is beyond me. Take care everyone. And may
the flooders die painful deaths.

It is painful, and I agree that this latest spate of bizarre postings
is strange. (By the way, these posts read much more like an AI bot
posting than Gerald's do.)

But I haven't found anything else that will take the place of SAA, so
I'm staying here until there's really no one else to talk to. That
still
isn't the case yet, though of course lots of people have left,
lamentably.

--
Brian Tung
My Own Personal FAQ (SAA) at http://astro.isi.edu/reference/faq.html

Old August 13th 07, 09:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Aug 13, 11:59 am, wrote:

But I haven't found anything else that will take the place of SAA

I felt the same way about losing some of my upper teeth, but now I
have a partial denture that looks, feels, and works great! ;-)

--
Martin R. Howell
Moderated sci.astro.amateur

Old August 13th 07, 10:09 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Greg Crinklaw

wrote:
Florian wrote:
Until or unless this sporge flood ends there is no point in coming to s.a.a anymore.
What people gain by floods like this is beyond me. Take care everyone. And may
the flooders die painful deaths.

It is painful, and I agree that this latest spate of bizarre postings
is strange. (By the way, these posts read much more like an AI bot
posting than Gerald's do.)

Google "sporge flood." This isn't just something aimed at SAA.
Apparently the source is cleverly distributed in some way like a virus,
so there isn't any simply way for it to be blocked at the server level.
I found references to sporge floods on usenet clear back to 1999!
Funny I never heard of them before now.

Recently it always seems to start with a warning posted to the newsgroup
that a "sporge flood" is scheduled that takes the appearance of an
advertisement for supernews.

Some people lightly suggest filtering on cross posts, but my favorite
newsreader can't do that (yet). I've tried the newsreaders that can and
I didn't like them much. Oh well.

Old August 13th 07, 10:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Esmail[_2_]

CeeBee wrote:
On 13 aug 2007 Florian wrote in sci.astro.amateur:

Until or unless this sporge flood ends there is no point in coming to
s.a.a anymore. What people gain by floods like this is beyond me. Take
care everyone. And may the flooders die painful deaths.

All the junk is crossposted to another newsgroup. Simply filter on the
XREF header for that group and everything is gone.

good suggestion, I'm going to try that too. I'm not ready to
concede s.a.a. to the nutcases yet, so for the time being I'm
going to stick around too.
Old August 13th 07, 10:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Esmail[_2_]

All the junk is crossposted to another newsgroup. Simply filter on the
XREF header for that group and everything is gone.

good suggestion, I'm going to try that too. I'm not ready to
concede s.a.a. to the nutcases yet, so for the time being I'm
going to stick around too.

Hmm .. my news reader (Thunderbird) seems to allow filters only
based on three fields: From, Subject, Date .. not very fancy. I
just tried to see if there's an extension, but no joy (so far).

Don't feel like learning yet another newsreader ...
Old August 13th 07, 10:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Greg Crinklaw

Esmail wrote:
All the junk is crossposted to another newsgroup. Simply filter on
the XREF header for that group and everything is gone.

good suggestion, I'm going to try that too. I'm not ready to
concede s.a.a. to the nutcases yet, so for the time being I'm
going to stick around too.

Hmm .. my news reader (Thunderbird) seems to allow filters only
based on three fields: From, Subject, Date .. not very fancy. I
just tried to see if there's an extension, but no joy (so far).

They have a custom filter for email, so it would seem trivial to add a
custom filter to the newsreader portion. I just contacted them with this
suggestion. It's something I've wished for for quite awhile. Perhaps
if others did the same they might add the custom filter sooner rather
than later...

Suggestions can be left he
http://hendrix.mozilla.org/

Greg

Old August 13th 07, 10:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 17:20:49 -0400, Esmail
wrote:

good suggestion, I'm going to try that too. I'm not ready to
concede s.a.a. to the nutcases yet, so for the time being I'm
going to stick around too.

Just wait it out. It happens every few years, and normally goes away
after a few days.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old August 13th 07, 11:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:09:06 -0600, Greg Crinklaw
wrote:

Some people lightly suggest filtering on cross posts, but my favorite
newsreader can't do that (yet). I've tried the newsreaders that can and
I didn't like them much. Oh well.

Strangely, I'm not seeing any of it, and the only filters I have are
based on subject lines. This has happened at least two other times on
SAA in the last ten years or so, and I've always been inundated like
everyone else. Nothing has changed at my end. I access newsgroups
through an Earthlink server. All I can figure is that they have some
sort of effective filtering in place. I was concerned I might be missing
real content, but a few comparisons with Google Groups show that the
only thing being filtered is the sporge. Odd, but I'm not complaining.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com