Another ISS tourist

Old September 22nd 06, 04:22 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Another ISS tourist

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2006/09/...etourist.shtml
Old September 22nd 06, 09:22 AM posted to sci.space.history
Rusty

Pat Flannery wrote:
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2006/09/...etourist.shtml

The flight appears to be more like one of the old Intercosmos
government to government missions. Malaysia bought fighter planes from
Russia and one of its citizens (chosen by the Malaysian government) is
flying to the ISS on a Soyuz as part of the deal.

Rusty

Old September 22nd 06, 02:36 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Rusty wrote:

The flight appears to be more like one of the old Intercosmos
government to government missions. Malaysia bought fighter planes from
Russia and one of its citizens (chosen by the Malaysian government) is
flying to the ISS on a Soyuz as part of the deal.

"Comrade! A free prize in every box!" I'm still trying to figure out
why the Mexican Navy needs Su-27 "Flanker" fighters.

Pat

Old September 22nd 06, 05:26 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rusty

Pat Flannery wrote:
Rusty wrote:

The flight appears to be more like one of the old Intercosmos
government to government missions. Malaysia bought fighter planes from
Russia and one of its citizens (chosen by the Malaysian government) is
flying to the ISS on a Soyuz as part of the deal.

"Comrade! A free prize in every box!" I'm still trying to figure out
why the Mexican Navy needs Su-27 "Flanker" fighters.

Pat

They also bought Mi-17 helicopters. Must have gotten a good deal on the
stuff from the Russians.

Rusty

Old September 22nd 06, 07:26 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Rusty wrote:

They also bought Mi-17 helicopters. Must have gotten a good deal on the
stuff from the Russians.

Speaking of a good deal, behold rearming the Iraqi army:
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...index.php#more
Do we really want these guys to have over 3,400 M24 sniper rifles? :-\

Pat
Old September 22nd 06, 07:46 PM posted to sci.space.history
Jeff Findley

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

Speaking of a good deal, behold rearming the Iraqi army:
http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/...index.php#more
Do we really want these guys to have over 3,400 M24 sniper rifles? :-\

The Iraqi Army has to fight the insurgents after the US pulls out.

Jeff
safety"
- B. Franklin, Bartlett's Familiar Quotations (1919)

Old September 22nd 06, 09:02 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_1_]

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 08:36:34 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

"Comrade! A free prize in every box!" I'm still trying to figure out
why the Mexican Navy needs Su-27 "Flanker" fighters.

....Pat, if this isn't a joke, can you cite source for this one?

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old September 22nd 06, 10:45 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rusty

wrote:

"Comrade! A free prize in every box!" I'm still trying to figure out
why the Mexican Navy needs Su-27 "Flanker" fighters.

...Pat, if this isn't a joke, can you cite source for this one?

OM

Janes
http://www.janes.com/defence/naval_f...0516_1_n.shtml

Milavia
http://www.milavia.net/aircraft/su-27/su-27_ops.htm

http://www.mexico.vg/mexico/mexico-h...e-about-a-doze

Rusty

Old September 23rd 06, 03:55 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_1_]

On 22 Sep 2006 14:45:06 -0700, "Rusty"
wrote:

...Pat, if this isn't a joke, can you cite source for this one?

....Whoops, I forgot. For cites, you go to Dr. PDF.

Janes
http://www.janes.com/defence/naval_f...0516_1_n.shtml

Milavia
http://www.milavia.net/aircraft/su-27/su-27_ops.htm

http://www.mexico.vg/mexico/mexico-h...e-about-a-doze

....Interesting. I'm assuming Mexico chose to buy the Russian surplus
fighters based on cost concerns, then? Rather than some sort of deal
with the US? Hell, it's not as if we're not about to have a lot of
Tomcats slated for the scrapyard.

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old September 23rd 06, 04:33 AM posted to sci.space.history
Rusty

wrote:

...Pat, if this isn't a joke, can you cite source for this one?

...Whoops, I forgot. For cites, you go to Dr. PDF.

Janes
http://www.janes.com/defence/naval_f...0516_1_n.shtml

Milavia
http://www.milavia.net/aircraft/su-27/su-27_ops.htm

http://www.mexico.vg/mexico/mexico-h...e-about-a-doze

...Interesting. I'm assuming Mexico chose to buy the Russian surplus
fighters based on cost concerns, then? Rather than some sort of deal
with the US? Hell, it's not as if we're not about to have a lot of
Tomcats slated for the scrapyard.

OM

Yea, but the Tomcats are old and getting too expensive for the U.S. to
maintain. That's one of the reasons the Navy is getting rid of them.
Even if the U.S. gave the Tomcats to Mexico, it would probably be too
costly for them to maintain. Russian equipment is rugged and more
easily maintained by 3rd world countries like Mexico.

Rusty