So, what's on the Moon?

Old March 16th 17, 07:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

Default So, what's on the Moon?

On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 23:54:26 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:

I think, soon we'll have a Moon base populated by yellow man!

Was that a allusion to little green men?

What colour were the first people to populate The Earth?

i.e. Our great^n grandparents. ;-)
Old March 17th 17, 01:54 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 12:10:59 AM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 23:54:26 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:

I think, soon we'll have a Moon base populated by yellow man!

Was that a allusion to little green men?

What colour were the first people to populate The Earth?

i.e. Our great^n grandparents. ;-)

Depends, who you listen too, to Dems ot Reps?
Old March 17th 17, 06:27 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 17 March 2017 02:54:33 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 12:10:59 AM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 23:54:26 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:

I think, soon we'll have a Moon base populated by yellow man!

Was that a allusion to little green men?

What colour were the first people to populate The Earth?

i.e. Our great^n grandparents. ;-)

Depends, who you listen too, to Dems or Reps?

How does political faith alter a monkey's complexion? ;-)
Old March 17th 17, 12:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:27:33 PM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 17 March 2017 02:54:33 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 12:10:59 AM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 23:54:26 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:

I think, soon we'll have a Moon base populated by yellow man!

Was that a allusion to little green men?

What colour were the first people to populate The Earth?

i.e. Our great^n grandparents. ;-)

Depends, who you listen too, to Dems or Reps?

How does political faith alter a monkey's complexion? ;-)

It changes color perception! )o:
Old March 17th 17, 01:53 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 17 March 2017 13:30:29 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:27:33 PM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 17 March 2017 02:54:33 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 12:10:59 AM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 23:54:26 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:

I think, soon we'll have a Moon base populated by yellow man!

Was that a allusion to little green men?

What colour were the first people to populate The Earth?

i.e. Our great^n grandparents. ;-)

Depends, who you listen too, to Dems or Reps?

How does political faith alter a monkey's complexion? ;-)

It changes color perception! )o:

Very perceptive of you! ;-))
Old March 17th 17, 09:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 6:53:41 AM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 17 March 2017 13:30:29 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:27:33 PM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 17 March 2017 02:54:33 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 12:10:59 AM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 23:54:26 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:

I think, soon we'll have a Moon base populated by yellow man!

Was that a allusion to little green men?

What colour were the first people to populate The Earth?

i.e. Our great^n grandparents. ;-)

Depends, who you listen too, to Dems or Reps?

How does political faith alter a monkey's complexion? ;-)

It changes color perception! )o:

Very perceptive of you! ;-))

Looks like, Yellow man will rule the Moon!
Old March 18th 17, 06:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Friday, 17 March 2017 22:10:38 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:
On Friday, March 17, 2017 at 6:53:41 AM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 17 March 2017 13:30:29 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:27:33 PM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Friday, 17 March 2017 02:54:33 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 12:10:59 AM UTC-7, Chris.B wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 March 2017 23:54:26 UTC+1, StarDust wrote:

I think, soon we'll have a Moon base populated by yellow man!

Was that a allusion to little green men?

What colour were the first people to populate The Earth?

i.e. Our great^n grandparents. ;-)

Depends, who you listen too, to Dems or Reps?

How does political faith alter a monkey's complexion? ;-)

It changes color perception! )o:

Very perceptive of you! ;-))

Looks like, Yellow man will rule the Moon!

Ruling is probably the wrong term. Occupying? Dossing? Squatting?
After all, the YT cough experts cough would have you believe it is already taken.
If so, it would be a highly asymmetric conflict of interests.
I'm not sure the Chinese have the necessary technology or manpower to actually invade The Moon.
Certainly not against an interstellar mining company.
One capable of building structures vast enough to be seen from the Earth with YT [averted] vision. ;-)
Old March 18th 17, 02:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 23:56:25 -0700 (PDT), "Chris.B"
wrote:

Ruling is probably the wrong term. Occupying? Dossing? Squatting?
After all, the YT cough experts cough would have you believe it is already taken.
If so, it would be a highly asymmetric conflict of interests.
I'm not sure the Chinese have the necessary technology or manpower to actually invade The Moon.
Certainly not against an interstellar mining company.
One capable of building structures vast enough to be seen from the Earth with YT [averted] vision. ;-)

There is almost certainly little of value on the Moon. There is almost
certainly no reason to go there, except for the symbolic value. Some
large country like China, or large corporation like the U.S. might
make another visit, or even set up a small base (again, for the
symbolic value). Nobody is going to be wasting resources on colonizing
it or otherwise sending very many people there.

Asteroids certainly have value from the standpoint of raw materials.
How long it will be before we can economically mine them (compared
with obtaining those things on Earth) is uncertain. Certainly we're
not there yet.
Old March 18th 17, 04:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Saturday, 18 March 2017 15:24:15 UTC+1, Chris L Peterson wrote:

There is almost certainly little of value on the Moon. There is almost
certainly no reason to go there, except for the symbolic value. Some
large country like China, or large corporation like the U.S. might
make another visit, or even set up a small base (again, for the
symbolic value). Nobody is going to be wasting resources on colonizing
it or otherwise sending very many people there.

Asteroids certainly have value from the standpoint of raw materials.
How long it will be before we can economically mine them (compared
with obtaining those things on Earth) is uncertain. Certainly we're
not there yet.

The Moon is supposed to be a large piece of the Earth, following an early collision with an object now lost.
So why should The Moon not enjoy mineral resources similar to those of the Earth's constituents?
Mining for coal might be counterproductive and a tad expensive.
No rare earths or metals worth digging for?
In my youth I remember there being talk of simply catapulting useful materials off the Moon thanks to its much lower gravity and escape velocity.
Hopefully nobody wants to put adverts on the Moon as was also suggested.
Presumably its small, naked eye diameter precludes such raving idiocy.
Old March 18th 17, 05:54 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 18 Mar 2017 09:56:31 -0700 (PDT), "Chris.B"
wrote:

Asteroids certainly have value from the standpoint of raw materials.
How long it will be before we can economically mine them (compared
with obtaining those things on Earth) is uncertain. Certainly we're
not there yet.

The Moon is supposed to be a large piece of the Earth, following an early collision with an object now lost.
So why should The Moon not enjoy mineral resources similar to those of the Earth's constituents?
Mining for coal might be counterproductive and a tad expensive.
No rare earths or metals worth digging for?

The limited basaltic samples we have to work with don't suggest very
rich material. The Moon had time to re-differentiate, so the more
valuable stuff sunk. Without a long period of geological activity,
without water processes, nothing near the surface is likely to be
concentrated. Most of the interesting stuff on the surface was
probably delivered by impacts. Collecting that would look very
different from any sort of mining we've ever engaged in.

In my youth I remember there being talk of simply catapulting useful materials off the Moon thanks to its much lower gravity and escape velocity.

I'd pass on that technology until humans become socially advanced
enough to not consider its weapons potential.