Amazing 'cool-burning flames' discovered on the InternationalSpace Station could result in cleaner, more efficient engines here on Earth

Old August 1st 14, 11:30 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

Default Amazing 'cool-burning flames' discovered on the InternationalSpace Station could result in cleaner, more efficient engines here on Earth

On 31/07/2014 4:31 PM, wrote:
In sci.physics Yousuf Khan wrote:
There is also a nice video associated with the article.

News - Amazing 'cool-burning flames' discovered on the International
Space Station could result in cleaner, more efficient engines here on
Earth - The Weather Network
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/new...burning-flames
-discovered-on-the-international-space-station-could-result-in-cleaner-more
-efficient-engines-here-on-earth/32945/

As engine efficiency is directly related to temperature, I find that hard
to believe.

Less polluting due to less NOX being formed at low temperatures, yes, but
more efficient, no.

Yeah, I think we all had the same initial reaction to this idea.
Thermodynamics tells us that the hotter the temperature differential,
then the higher the efficiency. But I think these guys are talking about
emissions efficiency rather than thermal efficiency, where it burns up
even the dangerous exhaust products more completely.

Yousuf Khan

Old August 1st 14, 03:20 PM posted to sci.astro
dlzc

Dear Yousuf Khan:

On Friday, August 1, 2014 3:30:47 AM UTC-7, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Yeah, I think we all had the same initial
reaction to this idea. Thermodynamics tells
us that the hotter the temperature differential,
then the higher the efficiency. But I think
these guys are talking about emissions
efficiency rather than thermal efficiency, where
it burns up even the dangerous exhaust products
more completely.

But they start with a pure fuel.

Were this garbage, or toxic waste, and this could complete to CO2, N2, H2O, (no CO, no NOx, no CN) then I'd be way impressed. Slow the reaction way down, assure full oxygenation, sounds like the very large diameter piston (a few feet) infernal combustion engines the Navy used to use on large ships.

David A. Smith
Old August 2nd 14, 07:13 AM posted to sci.astro,sci.physics
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 01/08/2014 10:20 AM, dlzc wrote:
Dear Yousuf Khan:

On Friday, August 1, 2014 3:30:47 AM UTC-7, Yousuf Khan wrote:
Yeah, I think we all had the same initial
reaction to this idea. Thermodynamics tells
us that the hotter the temperature differential,
then the higher the efficiency. But I think
these guys are talking about emissions
efficiency rather than thermal efficiency, where
it burns up even the dangerous exhaust products
more completely.

But they start with a pure fuel.

Were this garbage, or toxic waste, and this could complete to CO2, N2, H2O, (no CO, no NOx, no CN) then I'd be way impressed. Slow the reaction way down, assure full oxygenation, sounds like the very large diameter piston (a few feet) infernal combustion engines the Navy used to use on large ships.

That might be the intended market, it's not all just cars out there.

Yousuf Khan