Way OT...Jamestown gets flooded.

Old July 25th 08, 10:47 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Default Way OT...Jamestown gets flooded.

The rain came down, and our local newspaper decided that our moment of
glory had come, and sent things to You Tube.
Where I live - Jamestown, North Dakota.
15,000 maniacs in my tribe.
The most pathetic You Tube video ever made.
My home town during the big rainstorm on Wednesday:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heV1H...eature=related
Yes, the rain was so severe that some cars got their tires wet.
If nothing else, that at least shows you that we have ancient
wooden-framed corrugated sheet-steel covered elevators right downtown.
That's the only one in the town that hasn't blown up in a grain dust
explosion and burned to the ground yet. There used to be around five of
those, but we lost one around every decade on average As a guesstimate,
I'd say that one was made somewhere around 1910 - 1920.
At least this is better, as our lads show that they'll drive through
anything.
After four-foot-deep snowdrifts, two-foot-deep water isn't even going to
slow them down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s__cfrx7_Q
"Yah, that was some rainstorm, wasn't it?"
"Yah, you betcha that was some rainstorm. I haven't seen one like that
for quite a few years."
"Do you think the bullheads will swim out of the river and come right
uptown?"
"They might... I think we should get our fishin' stuff out."
"Yah, them bullheads taste good, but its hard to get their gol-dang skin
off."
"You just use a lock-wrench on it... that will pull that skin off as
clean as you ever saw."
"Yah?
"Yah. My father taught me that...but back then they didn't have
lock-wrenches. He had to use pliers like they did back in the old country."
"The old country... like in Norway?"
"No, back in Ypsilanti. Before we came to the big city." :-D

Pat

Old July 25th 08, 12:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Neil Gerace[_2_]

On Jul 25, 5:47*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
The rain came down, and our local newspaper decided that our moment of
glory had come, and sent things to You Tube.

The traditional media are getting really desperate if they have to
resort to the Evil Internet (TM) to get a story out.

If nothing else, that at least shows you that we have ancient
wooden-framed corrugated sheet-steel covered elevators right downtown.

We have some of them here in W.A., and we still shift a lot of wheat,
barley and AFAIK canola through them.

"No, back in Ypsilanti. Before we came to the big city." :-D

Old July 25th 08, 01:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Neil Gerace wrote:
On Jul 25, 5:47 pm, Pat Flannery wrote:

The rain came down, and our local newspaper decided that our moment of
glory had come, and sent things to You Tube.

The traditional media are getting really desperate if they have to
resort to the Evil Internet (TM) to get a story out.

Wasn't that awe inspiring though? It was taken from the alley behind the
Jamestown Sun newspaper building on Second Avenue West and showed that
it was raining, and that the streets were wet.
The Jamestown Sun subscribed to You Tube for the first time ever just to
send that to them.
I have a reoccurring dream about some sort of giant volcanic activity
occurring near Jamestown, and basically submerging the place in lava
over a period of several hours.
Now THIS would be something for The Jamestown Sun to send to You Tube in
regards to odd weather in our town:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aboUARGa7Ik
****! There goes The Dollar Store!
****, the lava is running over The Brass Rail Bar!
Lil's Continental Room is ****in' toast!
And now the wall of molten rock is advancing on The Alfred Dickey Free
Library!
Can anything save us?
And there stood the Basilica of Saint James... bone of Saint James
himself buried under its altar, and with the two proud Irish priests
ready to stand against the lava...or the Devil himself for that matter.
Mind you, they are going to battle Satan from the top of the two spires
of the basilica while wearing aluminized fireproof priestly garments,
but one cannot be too careful when dealing with the trickiness of
Hell.... or the "Diarrhea Of The Devil" that is lava.

Pat

Old July 27th 08, 07:36 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Bash

On 25 Jul, 10:47, Pat Flannery wrote:
The rain came down, and our local newspaper decided that our moment of
glory had come, and sent things to You Tube.
Where I live - Jamestown, North Dakota.
15,000 maniacs in my tribe.
The most pathetic You Tube video ever made.

You'd have thought that the local newspaper would have started making
noises that the Jamestown Dam was going to fail due to the excessive
rain. :-p

Mailed from the land of three seasons, June, July and Winter ;-)

Bry
Old July 28th 08, 08:18 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Bash wrote:

You'd have thought that the local newspaper would have started making
noises that the Jamestown Dam was going to fail due to the excessive
rain. :-p

Oh, something like that actually happened.
Back in the late 1990's we had a rainstorm that dumped 6" of rain on use
in a period of a few hours.
The next day I woke up, turned on CNN and heard one of the top stories
was that Pipestem Dam at Jamestown North Dakota was in imminent danger
of failure.
At this point I assumed I was still asleep and having a very realistic
dream, and was hoping Milla Jovovich would show up at my door so I could
save her from the flood, and then let me screw the bejezuss out of her
in gratitude.
Alas, I was awake.
What had happened was that the rain had undercut a small section of the
asphalt road atop the earth-fill dam and a piece of it around 3' x 6'
had collapsed.
This was reported in a garbled form to Washington, and the next thing
you knew we had all sorts of bureaucrats descending in government jets
on us to await the deluge.
.... which wouldn't have been much of a deluge anyway; as you can see in
this photo:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Im..._reservoir.jpg
The reservoir behind the dam isn't that large, and its average depth is
around 5'.
Now if _Jamestown Dam_ on the other hand ever failed:
http://www.usbr.gov/dataweb/html/jamestown.html
Then the city would vanish like Atlantis, as it's in the valley directly
south of it, the reservoir extends a couple dozen miles north of it and
has a hell of a lot of water in it:
http://www.lasr.net/images/lake/map/ND04lk002.jpg
Luckily I live on a hill above the valley, and so would survive such a
deluge, and then would be able to rescue attractive women...who I would
then make dye their hair bright orange to show their gratitude. :-)

Pat