An experiment too far? (off-topic)

Old August 26th 06, 01:20 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro,sci.physics
Sorcerer[_1_]

Default An experiment too far? (off-topic)

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message
| On a sunny day (26 Aug 2006 03:35:56 -0700) it happened
| wrote in
| . com:
|
| Storms around here have been prevalent so it shouldn't be too
difficult
| to catch some of the power of lighting within the jar. I intend to
| attach the brass knob to a lightning rod running down the side of my
| local church. This I feel would make a suitable conductor.
|
| The question is ...once I've captured the electricity what do I do
with
| it???? Thoughts???
|
| You will not have to worry about that, as the exploding glass will have
| pierced you so many times you wil be dead.
|
| Do not do this, DO NOT DO THIS.
|
| Thank you for you concern but you have no need to worry.
|
| No, but you have.
|
| I will be
| taking suitable protective precautions to guard against any potential
| electrical anomalies. For one - I rarely conduct my experiments using
| myself as the guinea pig. Whilst I will be holding the video camera, my
| friend Stig will be the one dealing with the jar. I have equipped Stig
| with a pair of rubber Wellington boots and some marigolds (rubber
| washing up gauntlets). As an extra precaution Stig will also be sat on
| his motorcycle - the rubber tyres providing a secondary insulator from
| electrical shock. The leyden Jar will sit on top of the fuel tank of
| Stig's motorcycle so that he does not have to hold it with his hands.
|
| You must be joking, I think by now, why not simply shoot your friend?
|
| With half a megavolt or so and some damp weather, the lighting
| will not even notice any rubber, just arc around it.
| The air in your jar will ionize and heat to thousands of degrees
| in a split second, the pressure will blow the bottle apart, the
| glass will pierce your friend and the fuel tank, the plasma and arc will
| ignite the fuel, what a mess.
|
| You are a nutter if you do this.
| Darwin award.
|
| Do NOT DO THIS (2 x now)

Of course he isn't joking, nobody jokes about serious stuff like
catching lightning. Anyway, the crackling noise is fun.

Androcles

Old August 26th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro,sci.physics
Jaxtraw

Jan Panteltje wrote:
[...]

I don't think you need to worry. Bazza is a responsible chap and I'm sure in
the event of a minor accident he'll have his mobile phone to hand to call
assistance.

Ian

Old August 26th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro,sci.physics
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:16:36 +0100) it happened "Jaxtraw"
wrote in
:
Darwin award.

Do NOT DO THIS (2 x now)

I don't think you need to worry. Bazza is a responsible chap and I'm sure in
the event of a minor accident he'll have his mobile phone to hand to call
assistance.

Ian

LOL
Not many are known to have called back from heaven (or hell).
Old August 26th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro,sci.physics
Sorcerer[_1_]

"Jan Panteltje" wrote in message
| On a sunny day (Sat, 26 Aug 2006 14:16:36 +0100) it happened "Jaxtraw"
| wrote in
| :
| Darwin award.
|
| Do NOT DO THIS (2 x now)
|
| I don't think you need to worry. Bazza is a responsible chap and I'm sure
in
| the event of a minor accident he'll have his mobile phone to hand to call
| assistance.
|

| Ian
|
| LOL
| Not many are known to have called back from heaven (or hell).

I can understand you don't get phones in hell because of the heat
melting the buttons, but heaven must be like Antarctica, the least
technological continent on Earth. Heck, you'd be lucky to find a
bow and arrow, the wheel or even fire there, phones have NO chance.
I'm not even sure they are approved of in church, either, although
that is not a place I visit. Still, catching a bucket of lightning from
a church roof sounds the best way to do it. Holy Moses!
Androcles

Old August 26th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro,sci.physics
[email protected]

Jaxtraw wrote:
Jan Panteltje wrote:
[...]

I am in two minds whether to call said experiment off....but Stig is as
keen as mustard to give it a try. Plus I have promised him a case of
Bud Ice in exchange for his participation. In the meantime I will
further review adaquate safety measures after some of the warnings that
have been posted. I now intend to wrap his torso in layers of
bubble-wrap and sellotape just in case anything adverse should happen.

PS Have no credit on my mobile but there is a telephone box about 1500
yards from the church yard which should suffice.

Baz

Old August 26th 06, 05:20 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
[email protected]

Sorcerer wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

| Jan Panteltje wrote:
| On a sunny day (25 Aug 2006 10:40:26 -0700) it happened
| wrote in
| . com:
|
| Storms around here have been prevalent so it shouldn't be too difficult
| to catch some of the power of lighting within the jar. I intend to
| attach the brass knob to a lightning rod running down the side of my
| local church. This I feel would make a suitable conductor.
|
| The question is ...once I've captured the electricity what do I do with
| it???? Thoughts???
|
| You will not have to worry about that, as the exploding glass will have
| pierced you so many times you wil be dead.
|
| Do not do this, DO NOT DO THIS.
|
| Thank you for you concern but you have no need to worry. I will be
| taking suitable protective precautions to guard against any potential
| electrical anomalies. For one - I rarely conduct my experiments using
| myself as the guinea pig. Whilst I will be holding the video camera, my
| friend Stig will be the one dealing with the jar. I have equipped Stig
| with a pair of rubber Wellington boots and some marigolds (rubber
| washing up gauntlets). As an extra precaution Stig will also be sat on
| his motorcycle - the rubber tyres providing a secondary insulator from
| electrical shock. The leyden Jar will sit on top of the fuel tank of
| Stig's motorcycle so that he does not have to hold it with his hands.
|
| The jar is now in the final stages of construction. The most difficult
| part of the operation was lining the inside of the jar with foil.
| Hopefully - should weather conditions be appropriate - we will be ready
| to harness the power of lighting late this evening.
|
| One possible use for the power would be as a secondary power source for
| an electric powered motor-cycle - perhaps with "in-built" laden jar and
| brass or copper whip aerial (for charging during actual travel.)
|
| I will update tomorrow with a review of the experiment.
|
| Bazza

You should not have done that foul foil thing, you should have
taken the jar to a mirror manufacturer and had it coated with
aluminium, inside and out. I trust it was a pickled onion jar
and you enjoyed the onions.
Anyway, when you've caught the lightning you can stand the
jar on your desk and watch it crackle as it arcs between the
inside and outside, it will be a nice ornament or paperweight.
Make sure you remove any coating around the rim of the jar or
you'll have a short circuit -- and then screw the metal lid on
tight to keep the captured lightning in, or it might escape on
the way home. I had a lizard that escaped from a jam jar once,
and it was a pet lizard too, much more fun than guinea pigs.

Good luck, and don't lick the jar.
Androcles

Thanks...I am rather hoping the jar will resemble that Time Controller
device from Remembrance of the Daleks once populated with electricity.

Baz

Old August 26th 06, 05:24 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro,sci.physics
Jaxtraw

wrote:
Jaxtraw wrote:
Jan Panteltje wrote:
[...]

You might want to consider standing Stig and the motorbike in a large tray
of water in order to ensure that if he falls off, he has a soft "splash
down".

Ian

--
www.jaxtrawstudios.com
science fiction comics with shagging in

Old August 26th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro,sci.physics
Sorcerer[_1_]

"Jaxtraw" wrote in message
> [...]
| sure in the event of a minor accident he'll have his mobile phone to
| hand to call assistance.
|
| Ian
|
| I am in two minds whether to call said experiment off....but Stig is
| as keen as mustard to give it a try. Plus I have promised him a case
| of Bud Ice in exchange for his participation. In the meantime I will
| further review adaquate safety measures after some of the warnings
| that have been posted. I now intend to wrap his torso in layers of
| bubble-wrap and sellotape just in case anything adverse should happen.
|
| PS Have no credit on my mobile but there is a telephone box about 1500
| yards from the church yard which should suffice.
|
| You might want to consider standing Stig and the motorbike in a large tray
| of water in order to ensure that if he falls off, he has a soft "splash

It should be salty water, it is less likely to harbour germs if he should be
scratched. Besides which, salt water is a better conductor of electricity
than pure or soapy water, and he might spill some lightning from the jar
if he slips.
Androcles

Old August 26th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.arts.drwho,sci.astro.amateur,sci.astro,sci.physics
Sorcerer[_1_]

wrote in message
ps.com...

| Sorcerer wrote:
| wrote in message
| ups.com...
| |
| | Jan Panteltje wrote:
| | On a sunny day (25 Aug 2006 10:40:26 -0700) it happened
| | wrote in
| | . com:
| |
| | Storms around here have been prevalent so it shouldn't be too
difficult
| | to catch some of the power of lighting within the jar. I intend to
| | attach the brass knob to a lightning rod running down the side of
my
| | local church. This I feel would make a suitable conductor.
| |
| | The question is ...once I've captured the electricity what do I do
with
| | it???? Thoughts???
| |
| | You will not have to worry about that, as the exploding glass will
have
| | pierced you so many times you wil be dead.
| |
| | Do not do this, DO NOT DO THIS.
| |
| | Thank you for you concern but you have no need to worry. I will be
| | taking suitable protective precautions to guard against any potential
| | electrical anomalies. For one - I rarely conduct my experiments using
| | myself as the guinea pig. Whilst I will be holding the video camera,
my
| | friend Stig will be the one dealing with the jar. I have equipped Stig
| | with a pair of rubber Wellington boots and some marigolds (rubber
| | washing up gauntlets). As an extra precaution Stig will also be sat on
| | his motorcycle - the rubber tyres providing a secondary insulator from
| | electrical shock. The leyden Jar will sit on top of the fuel tank of
| | Stig's motorcycle so that he does not have to hold it with his hands.
| |
| | The jar is now in the final stages of construction. The most difficult
| | part of the operation was lining the inside of the jar with foil.
| | Hopefully - should weather conditions be appropriate - we will be
ready
| | to harness the power of lighting late this evening.
| |
| | One possible use for the power would be as a secondary power source
for
| | an electric powered motor-cycle - perhaps with "in-built" laden jar
and
| | brass or copper whip aerial (for charging during actual travel.)
| |
| | I will update tomorrow with a review of the experiment.
| |
| | Bazza
|

| You should not have done that foul foil thing, you should have
| taken the jar to a mirror manufacturer and had it coated with
| aluminium, inside and out. I trust it was a pickled onion jar
| and you enjoyed the onions.
| Anyway, when you've caught the lightning you can stand the
| jar on your desk and watch it crackle as it arcs between the
| inside and outside, it will be a nice ornament or paperweight.
| Make sure you remove any coating around the rim of the jar or
| you'll have a short circuit -- and then screw the metal lid on
| tight to keep the captured lightning in, or it might escape on
| the way home. I had a lizard that escaped from a jam jar once,
| and it was a pet lizard too, much more fun than guinea pigs.
|
| Good luck, and don't lick the jar.
| Androcles
|
| Thanks...I am rather hoping the jar will resemble that Time Controller
| device from Remembrance of the Daleks once populated with electricity.
|
| Baz

Daleks were once little elves that lived in those dome-topped
pyramids on roller skates with howitzers, but we never got to
see them. I expect they'd be more fun than lizards.
Androcles