Space Shuttle Paracute Washing Machine?

Old November 23rd 05, 02:43 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

Default Space Shuttle Paracute Washing Machine?

My furnace didn't start this morning. So I called a tech to fix it. We
chatted a bit and he told me he once contracted to Martin at KSC. He was
called in to fix the boiler for a huge, building-filling, washing
machine that did nothing but wash the parachute from the space shuttle.
That surprised me. I never bothered to consider that they'd have to wash
it -- does it really get dirty and is that really an issue?
--
Kevin Willoughby lid

In this country, we produce more students with university degrees
in sports management than we do in engineering. - Dean Kamen
Old November 23rd 05, 03:38 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

Kevin Willoughby wrote:
My furnace didn't start this morning. So I called a tech to fix it. We
chatted a bit and he told me he once contracted to Martin at KSC. He was
called in to fix the boiler for a huge, building-filling, washing
machine that did nothing but wash the parachute from the space shuttle.
That surprised me. I never bothered to consider that they'd have to wash
it -- does it really get dirty and is that really an issue?

Here is a very good article about the parachute refurbishment
facility. It says that the washing machine is the size of a
three car garage!

"http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/space/2004-12-01-big-booster-chutes_x.htm"

- Ed Kyle

Old November 23rd 05, 04:09 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Default Space Shuttle Parachute Washing Machine?

"Kevin Willoughby" wrote in message
My furnace didn't start this morning. So I called a tech to fix it. We
chatted a bit and he told me he once contracted to Martin at KSC. He was
called in to fix the boiler for a huge, building-filling, washing
machine that did nothing but wash the parachute from the space shuttle.
That surprised me. I never bothered to consider that they'd have to wash
it -- does it really get dirty and is that really an issue?

They would undoubtedly get covered in seawater when the SRBs splash down.
That has to be washed off.

Old November 23rd 05, 04:27 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

"Kevin Willoughby" wrote in message
My furnace didn't start this morning. So I called a tech to fix it. We
chatted a bit and he told me he once contracted to Martin at KSC. He was
called in to fix the boiler for a huge, building-filling, washing
machine that did nothing but wash the parachute from the space shuttle.
That surprised me. I never bothered to consider that they'd have to wash
it -- does it really get dirty and is that really an issue?
--

So is there a matching drier?

Old November 23rd 05, 04:55 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

Ami Silberman wrote:
"Kevin Willoughby" wrote in message
My furnace didn't start this morning. So I called a tech to fix it. We
chatted a bit and he told me he once contracted to Martin at KSC. He was
called in to fix the boiler for a huge, building-filling, washing
machine that did nothing but wash the parachute from the space shuttle.
That surprised me. I never bothered to consider that they'd have to wash
it -- does it really get dirty and is that really an issue?
--

So is there a matching drier?

It's Florida. They probably hang it outside to dry.

;-)

Rusty

Old November 23rd 05, 05:27 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

Ami Silberman wrote:
"Kevin Willoughby" wrote in message
My furnace didn't start this morning. So I called a tech to fix it. We
chatted a bit and he told me he once contracted to Martin at KSC. He was
called in to fix the boiler for a huge, building-filling, washing
machine that did nothing but wash the parachute from the space shuttle.
That surprised me. I never bothered to consider that they'd have to wash
it -- does it really get dirty and is that really an issue?
--

So is there a matching drier?

Yes, there is. It is about the same size as the washer.

- Ed Kyle

Old November 23rd 05, 08:59 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

Most people do not hang washing out to dry in Florida, its considered to
be "poor", most use electric dryers.
Old November 23rd 05, 10:06 PM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

I remember that building over near the boneyard somewhere, apparently has
some huge tables in there ! Don't think its so much that the chutes get
dirty, more just getting the salt out before they are repacked.

Adam

Old November 24th 05, 03:47 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

Michael wrote in news:UI4hf.82116$ty1.57
@bignews1.bellsouth.net:

Most people do not hang washing out to dry in Florida, its considered to
be "poor", most use electric dryers.

Plus the high humidity means it takes longer for hung clothes to dry. And
the frequent afternoon showers make the risk of re-washing pretty high.

--
JRF

think one step ahead of IBM.
Old November 24th 05, 04:15 AM posted to sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle

"Jorge R. Frank" wrote:
Plus the high humidity means it takes longer for hung clothes to dry. And
the frequent afternoon showers make the risk of re-washing pretty high.

How much would NASA have to spend to build a clotheline anyways ? 2
billion ? (perhaps it would be to test nanotube technology to build an
extremely long clotheline :-)

In terms of afternoon showers, is the rain so dirty that it would
actually soil the parachutes ? Heck, those afternoon showers couild
probably replace the whole rinse cycle in those big fancy parachute
washing machines.

What sort of soap do they use on the parachutes ?