Stars that visibly move?

Old July 17th 03, 11:38 AM
W K

Default Stars that visibly move?

"Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th" wrote in message
7.6...
wrote in
:

Last week, my GF and I were looking up at the city sky, and noticed
that one of the few visible stars was moving, ever so slightly.
Within 10 minutes, it was no longer visible. Within a few minutes,
we noticed another one.

Were these satellites? They seemed to be too high to be planes, and
the light was solid... I thought the ESS was the only satellite
visible to the naked eye, but we did see two of these lights.

Satellites? Stars? Planes? Does anyone know if the ESS' orbit takes
it above Calgary, Alberta, Canada?

Many are naked eye visible. Go here and enter your location plus the date
& time and it will show you what was passing:

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Always a good reference, but all the ones I have ever seen go at an apparent
speed similar to a high altitude jet.
On the whole thats not really "moving, ever so slightly".

Are there any visible ones that are further out than about 1000Km and look
considerably slower?

Old July 17th 03, 01:36 PM
Mike Ruskai

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 05:17:47 GMT,
wrote:

Last week, my GF and I were looking up at the city sky, and noticed that
one of the few visible stars was moving, ever so slightly. Within 10
minutes, it was no longer visible. Within a few minutes, we noticed
another one.

Were these satellites? They seemed to be too high to be planes, and the
light was solid... I thought the ESS was the only satellite visible to the
naked eye, but we did see two of these lights.

Satellites? Stars? Planes? Does anyone know if the ESS' orbit takes it
above Calgary, Alberta, Canada?

If the time is sufficiently close to sunrise or sunset, there will be no
shortage of satellites visible to the naked eye. In darker skies, you'd
just notice more of them.

--
- Mike

Remove 'spambegone.net' and reverse to send e-mail.

Old July 17th 03, 02:36 PM
Starlord

Plus the USA has ones that are in polar orbit (North/south) too.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

"Jon Pike" wrote in message
59...
"Rat Patrol" wrote in
:

Yes they are satellites of all kinds.

US & Canadian satellites apparently travel east to west
while Russian satellites travel South to North.

You would think with the earth spinning and creating gravity the sat's
would all travel the way the earth spins ?

Some do. Some don't. The earth spinning has nothing to do with creating
gravity however, so that doesn't affect how the sattelite moves. You can
have the sattelite go any which direction you want, provided you do your
physics properly. I think it was covered in physics 20 for me :}

---

Old July 17th 03, 04:56 PM
Bill Sheppard

I believe it is the MASS of the earth that
causes gravity. =A0 I imagine the spinning
would actually cause a converse effect,
similar to centrifugal force.

Correct. The centrifugal *effect* causes it. (gotta qualify it, because
there are those who will quibble over word usage and centripetal being
the *real* force.) Because the equator is moving a tad over 1000 mph,
you will weigh slightly less at the equator than at the poles due to the
centrifugal effect.

oc

Old July 17th 03, 09:07 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi oc Still in all the books I've read,and in Asminov book "Physics" He
only relates the one half percent less gravity at the equator due to the
equator being 13 miles further away from the earth's center than the
poles. Why is that? Why don't the earth's oceans bulge out at the
equator? It it spinning 1030 mph faster than the poles.(yes) Think
about it Bert

Old July 18th 03, 01:23 AM
Banana

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 05:17:47 GMT,
wrote:

Last week, my GF and I were looking up at the city sky, and noticed that
one of the few visible stars was moving, ever so slightly. Within 10
minutes, it was no longer visible. Within a few minutes, we noticed
another one.

Were these satellites? They seemed to be too high to be planes, and the
light was solid... I thought the ESS was the only satellite visible to the
naked eye, but we did see two of these lights.

Satellites? Stars? Planes? Does anyone know if the ESS' orbit takes it
above Calgary, Alberta, Canada?

Satellites....
At certain times you might possibly see the ISS.....there was a
website around that tracked satellites and the ISS to give you the
coordinates and times for your location in order to catch these
sitings...it might even be on www.astronomy.com

SPiff
Old July 18th 03, 03:00 AM
Bill Sheppard

Bert wrote,

Asimov only relates the one half percent
less gravity at the equator due to the
equator being 13 miles further away from the earth's center than the

poles. Why is
that? =A0

Your lower weght at the equator has two components.

1.) At the equator you're 6=BD miles `higher` from the Earth's center
than you are at the poles. Weight decreases with altitude.
2.) The larger component is the centrifugal effect at the equator.

Why don't the earth's oceans bulge out
at the equator? It it spinning 1030 mph
faster than the poles.(yes)

The *whole planet* bulges at the equator. The oceans and the atmosphere
comprize the barest 'onion skin' on the planet. BTW, Jupiter and Saturn
have a higher rotation rates than the Earth (9.9 and 10.5 hours
respectively) and are visibly oblate (fatter) at the equator due to the
centrifugal effect.

oc

Old July 18th 03, 06:49 AM
Dr. Fred Mbogo

"Rat Patrol" wrote in
:

Of course the rotation (spinning) of the earth causes gravity.
Why would say it doesn't ?

You're joking, right?

(Then again, I recently discovered a person I thought was normal didn't
know that tides are caused by the moon.)
Old July 18th 03, 07:31 AM

In calgary.general Dr. Fred Mbogo wrote:
"Rat Patrol" wrote in
:

Of course the rotation (spinning) of the earth causes gravity.
Why would say it doesn't ?

You're joking, right?

(Then again, I recently discovered a person I thought was normal didn't
know that tides are caused by the moon.)

They aren't, they're caused by the earth's spinning. As the earth spins,
the oceans slosh to one side, and then they slosh to the other side, kind of
like bathtub waves. The moon has little waster, and thus little influence
over our oceans.

--

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least
once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.

-Rene Descartes

http://www.memeticcandiru.com