Stars that visibly move?

Old July 17th 03, 06:17 AM

Default Stars that visibly move?

Last week, my GF and I were looking up at the city sky, and noticed that
one of the few visible stars was moving, ever so slightly. Within 10
minutes, it was no longer visible. Within a few minutes, we noticed
another one.

Were these satellites? They seemed to be too high to be planes, and the
light was solid... I thought the ESS was the only satellite visible to the
naked eye, but we did see two of these lights.

Satellites? Stars? Planes? Does anyone know if the ESS' orbit takes it
above Calgary, Alberta, Canada?

--
.................................................. ............................

"Once something is seen, it cannot be made to be unseen."

-Bertoldt Brecht

.................................................. ............................
http://www.memeticcandiru.com
Old July 17th 03, 07:04 AM

In calgary.general FatherGuido wrote:

check http://www.bester.com/satpasses.html

Cool! Looks like the ISS passes over Cowgary several times a day. Way cool!

--
.................................................. ............................

"The human rights group [Amnesty International] said Israel has arrested
more than 1,500 Palestinians in the past year, and that many of the
detainees were tortured"

-Laurie Copans, Associated Press, (28/08/2001)

.................................................. ............................
http://www.memeticcandiru.com
Old July 17th 03, 07:07 AM
Rat Patrol

Yes they are satellites of all kinds.

US & Canadian satellites apparently travel east to west
while Russian satellites travel South to North.

You would think with the earth spinning and creating gravity the sat's would
all travel the way the earth spins ?

JD

"Black Jacque Shellacque" wrote in message

Last week, my GF and I were looking up at the city sky, and noticed that
one of the few visible stars was moving, ever so slightly. Within 10
minutes, it was no longer visible. Within a few minutes, we noticed
another one.

Were these satellites? They seemed to be too high to be planes, and the
light was solid... I thought the ESS was the only satellite visible to

the
naked eye, but we did see two of these lights.

Satellites? Stars? Planes? Does anyone know if the ESS' orbit takes it
above Calgary, Alberta, Canada?

Could be satellites. I've seen them overhead before, although it is
much easier to spot them when you are outside the city and away from the
lights.

--
In God we trust, all others we virus scan.

Old July 17th 03, 07:08 AM
Jon Pike

"Rat Patrol" wrote in
:

Yes they are satellites of all kinds.

US & Canadian satellites apparently travel east to west
while Russian satellites travel South to North.

You would think with the earth spinning and creating gravity the sat's
would all travel the way the earth spins ?

Some do. Some don't. The earth spinning has nothing to do with creating
gravity however, so that doesn't affect how the sattelite moves. You can
have the sattelite go any which direction you want, provided you do your
physics properly. I think it was covered in physics 20 for me :}
Old July 17th 03, 07:35 AM
Simon

wrote:
Last week, my GF and I were looking up at the city sky, and noticed that
one of the few visible stars was moving, ever so slightly. Within 10
minutes, it was no longer visible. Within a few minutes, we noticed
another one.

Were these satellites? They seemed to be too high to be planes, and the
light was solid... I thought the ESS was the only satellite visible to the
naked eye, but we did see two of these lights.

Satellites? Stars? Planes? Does anyone know if the ESS' orbit takes it
above Calgary, Alberta, Canada?

UFOs? Maybe they were here to claim their free stampede breakfast?

Unlikely, but I have seen similar 'things' quite often myself when
having a beer on my balcony! They normally don't start moving until I
have consumed 8 or more pints though...

Old July 17th 03, 07:42 AM
Rat Patrol

Some do. Some don't. The earth spinning has nothing to do with creating
gravity

Excuse me !

Of course the rotation (spinning) of the earth causes gravity.
Why would say it doesn't ?

Old July 17th 03, 07:43 AM
Llanzlan Klazmon The 15th

wrote in
:

Last week, my GF and I were looking up at the city sky, and noticed
that one of the few visible stars was moving, ever so slightly.
Within 10 minutes, it was no longer visible. Within a few minutes,
we noticed another one.

Were these satellites? They seemed to be too high to be planes, and
the light was solid... I thought the ESS was the only satellite
visible to the naked eye, but we did see two of these lights.

Satellites? Stars? Planes? Does anyone know if the ESS' orbit takes
it above Calgary, Alberta, Canada?

Many are naked eye visible. Go here and enter your location plus the date
& time and it will show you what was passing:

http://www.heavens-above.com/

L.
Old July 17th 03, 08:05 AM

In calgary.general Rat Patrol wrote:

Of course the rotation (spinning) of the earth causes gravity.
Why would say it doesn't ?

I believe it is the MASS of the earth that causes gravity. I imagine
the spinning would actually cause a converse effect, similar to centrifugal
force.

--
.................................................. ............................

"Woe to him who builds his house by unrighteousnesswho makes his neighbour
serve him for nothing, and does not give him wages"
-Jeremiah 22:13

.................................................. ............................
http://www.memeticcandiru.com
Old July 17th 03, 08:46 AM
Terry Groff

"Rat Patrol" wrote in message

Some do. Some don't. The earth spinning has nothing to do

with creating
gravity

Excuse me !

Of course the rotation (spinning) of the earth causes gravity.
Why would say it doesn't ?

Spin has nothing to do with gravity. It is the mass of the object
that "creates" gravity". You, yourself, exert a gravitational
force on every object around you but it is negligible due to the
fact that your mass is relatively small. If the Earth stopped
spinning its gravitational force would not change.

Many satellites are in a geo-stationary orbit and do not move at
all in relation to the surface of the Earth.

Terry

Old July 17th 03, 08:48 AM
W K

"Rat Patrol" wrote in message
Yes they are satellites of all kinds.

US & Canadian satellites apparently travel east to west
while Russian satellites travel South to North.

Wrong.
Which way did MIR go?
There are plenty of "south to north" and indeed "north to south" from
everyone.
Most Notably the bus-sized european "envisat"

You would think with the earth spinning and creating gravity the sat's

would
all travel the way the earth spins ?

They could go in any direction. Its a matter of choice, but easier to launch
a rocket "with the spin" from near the equator.
If you want them to go in polar orbit its better to have less "spin" by
launching from closer to the poles (ie Alaska)