Large Radio Telescope Orbiting Moon.

Old May 17th 10, 08:10 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

Default Large Radio Telescope Orbiting Moon.

On May 15, 9:14*am, Brad Guth wrote:
On May 13, 3:41*pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

Some have made the valid suggestion of placing a radio telescope
on the 'far side' of the moon, to sheild Earths RF, but that is quite
an expensive challenge for anything large, it means soft landing
the RT (Radio Telescope) and then subjecting the structure to 1/6
g-force.
However if we were to Orbit the RT around the Moon, it's structure
would be in nil g (weightless), and would have 'periodic' sheilding at
which time it would be shielded from Earth's RF.
The unit would be solar powered, subtle orientation by gyros.

Highly advanced Unified Field Theory predict that so-called g-waves
will actually be detected as ElectroMagnetic Radiation, at the same
frequency and energy as conventional GR math predicts for orbital
decays, thus requiring a very sensitive EMR detector.

An example of an applied UFT based on GR can be found here,http://physics.trak4.com/GR_Charge_Couple.pdf
that enables the prediction of the orbital decay appearing as EMR.

Apart from that application astronomers will have great benefit from
doing Radio Astronomy during those ultra quiet periods.
Regards
Ken S. Tucker

The moon L2 shouldn't be all that insurmountable.

According to our NASA/Apollo wizards, the surface of our physically
dark moon is relatively passive and/or monochrome inert, and otherwise
technically easy enough to cope with (hot or cold). *There's also our
100% reliable Saturn V(5) for accomplishing those 50+ tonne missions,
that's fully R&D plus having everything as off-world proof-tested, as
well as 1000% bought and paid for.

So why haven't we established our platforms of science instruments
within the zero delta-V of our Earth-moon L1 (Selene L1), or that of
the zero delta-V of Selene L2?

What the hell are we waiting for?

~ BG
Old May 18th 10, 03:41 PM posted to sci.space.policy
tom Donnley

On May 15, 3:12*pm, Pat Flannery wrote:
On 5/14/2010 5:54 PM, tom Donnley wrote:

As a thought maybe place it at the Sun/Earth L3 point. It's hidden
from Earth,

And that's the problem; without a relay satellite at either the
Sun/Earth L4 or L5 point, you won't be able to get commands to it or
data back from it.

Pat

Sure you need some sort of relay (doesnt necessarily have to be a L-
point). But by definition you need a relay any place where you are
shielded from Earth Radio interference.
Old May 18th 10, 07:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Brad Guth[_3_]

On May 14, 8:21*am, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:
On May 14, 3:57 am, Pat Flannery wrote:

On 5/13/2010 7:17 PM, Greg D. Moore (Strider) wrote:

I think you're trading one set of complications for another.

Orbiting the moon you now have to deal with mascons.

And now you need a structure stiff enough to handle any potential gravity
gradients and changes in attitude due to your gyros.

Not saying it's a bad tradeoff, but I'm not convinced.

If you stick it at the L-2 point, that would allow you to still use the
Moon as a RF shield without worrying about the mascons.
The L-2 point is unstable, but you could use ion thrusters to keep it in
place.
Since it will look like a giant dish antenna anyway, there will be
plenty of area to mount the solar cells on it.
In fact, you could build something like this fairly easily using
existing technology, as the NSA already uses very large diameter
deployable dish satellites to monitor Earth communication transmissions:http://www.globalsecurity.org/space/systems/magnum.htm
Pat

Thank you very much for the ref Pat and also the L-2 thought.
And thanks to all for your comments.
The exact nature of the actual Radio Telescope depends on
many factors, such as a 'phase arrayed' , dish, assembly, etc.
Regards
Ken

In other words, you really weren't serious.

~ BG
Old May 18th 10, 09:03 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Ken S. Tucker

On May 18, 11:21 am, Brad Guth wrote:
[...]

Not sure, doubt we'll use a Saturn V, possibly a constellation (4-6)
revolving around the moon, downloading to Earth data acquired in a
quiet period.
Need to pull firm specs together in a consensus by pros, what's
the LNA, structure etc.
Ken
Old May 18th 10, 11:01 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 5/18/2010 6:41 AM, tom Donnley wrote:
Pat

Sure you need some sort of relay (doesnt necessarily have to be a L-
point). But by definition you need a relay any place where you are
shielded from Earth Radio interference.

A L-point would be best though as the L-4 and L-5 points are stable and
would allow the telescope to keep its antenna fixed on the the same
point in the sky for the one in solar orbit behind the Sun at the
Earth/Sun L-3 point (assuming the gravity of Venus doesn't screw things
up too much).

Pat