FWD: NASA Loses Contact With Mars Global Surveyor

Old November 13th 06, 06:10 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_4_]

Default FWD: NASA Loses Contact With Mars Global Surveyor

....I'm surprised nobody here posted anything about this one yet:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=21260

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old November 13th 06, 06:43 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...I'm surprised nobody here posted anything about this one yet:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=21260

Yeah, that happened a couple days after they were celebrating its tenth
anniversary.
You know why?
It _wasn't_ Korbel Champagne. ;-)

Pat
Old November 13th 06, 07:47 AM posted to sci.space.history
Matt Wiser

OM wrote:

I was wondering if the Great Martian Ghoul wandered by and decided to have a snack....His
last bite was Beagle 2.

Old November 13th 06, 09:19 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_4_]

On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 00:43:43 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Yeah, that happened a couple days after they were celebrating its tenth
anniversary.
You know why?
It _wasn't_ Korbel Champagne. ;-)

[Cut to: scene of MGS in orbit, getting hit by bottle of Cold Duck]

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old November 13th 06, 11:44 AM posted to sci.space.history
Rusty

Pat Flannery wrote:
OM wrote:

...I'm surprised nobody here posted anything about this one yet:

http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=21260

Yeah, that happened a couple days after they were celebrating its tenth
anniversary.
You know why?
It _wasn't_ Korbel Champagne. ;-)

Pat

I asked at the time if it was the metric or SAE anniversary?

Rusty

Old November 13th 06, 04:29 PM posted to sci.space.history
Henry Spencer

In article ,
OM wrote:
...I'm surprised nobody here posted anything about this one yet:
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=21260

Not much to post about -- precious little information.

Remember that Mars is just past solar conjunction, so communications
conditions are less than ideal, and MGS is old and has low priority for
antenna time, so things may be happening slowly.

Does sound like it might have snapped its last picture, though.
Old November 13th 06, 05:52 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Henry Spencer wrote:

In article ,
OM wrote:

...I'm surprised nobody here posted anything about this one yet:
http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewpr.html?pid=21260

Not much to post about -- precious little information.

From what I've read it may be that the solar array's rotator gear has
become frozen in position, so the whole spacecraft is now tracking the
sun, as it was supposed to do in that case.

Pat