Declination Motor Installation Advice

Old July 27th 06, 03:31 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

Default Declination Motor Installation Advice

I own a Celestron CG-4 mount. Because I suspected that its R.A. motor was
failing, I decided to replace it. Unfortunately, a kit with just the R.A.
motor was not available, so I had to order a dual axis kit. While this cost
more, I figured this would be okay as I would now have both axis motor
driven.

Installing the R.A. motor was hitch free. I am stuck, however, in figuring
out how to install the Dec. motor. The procedure is supposed to be
attaching a slip clutch to the short end of the declination slow motion
control, then attaching the declination motor to an extension from the
mounting plate so that a plastic gear on the motor intersects with the slip
clutch. At present, this does not seem possible.

The motor's gear cannot face the slip clutch because the jack for plugging
the motor to the control box is in the way. The only way to not have the
jack in the way is to turn the motor around so that is exactly in the
reverse position from where it needs to be.

I emailed Celestron technical support, explaining the problem, and sending a
picture of the mount to illustrate. The response that I got just told me to
attach the plate to the extension, which I can't do for the reasons that I
have already explained.

Any ideas?

Old July 27th 06, 04:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
ninethumbs

Hi John,

I have this link with pictures of a motor drive on a cg-4
www.derbyastronomy.org/C6NReview.htm
I know some of the older CG-4 mounts don't have a saddle plate on them
to mount the dec motor. Also the model number for the motors for the
cg-4 and cg-5 are very close.
I ordered my motor drives from Amazon and they sent me the cg-5 by
mistake even though the description said they would fit both mounts.
They don't BTW. It takes a lot of fiddling around with the mount to get
these drives to work acceptably. Lots of play in the slo motion
controls they hook up to.

Hope this helps,
Bobby

Old July 27th 06, 04:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

"ninethumbs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi John,

I have this link with pictures of a motor drive on a cg-4
www.derbyastronomy.org/C6NReview.htm
I know some of the older CG-4 mounts don't have a saddle plate on them
to mount the dec motor. Also the model number for the motors for the
cg-4 and cg-5 are very close.
I ordered my motor drives from Amazon and they sent me the cg-5 by
mistake even though the description said they would fit both mounts.
They don't BTW. It takes a lot of fiddling around with the mount to get
these drives to work acceptably. Lots of play in the slo motion
controls they hook up to.

Hope this helps,
Bobby

snip

Hi Bobby,

It might help, except that the link doesn't work. I keep getting a HTTP 404
message.

Old July 28th 06, 05:51 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

"ninethumbs" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi John,

I have this link with pictures of a motor drive on a cg-4
www.derbyastronomy.org/C6NReview.htm

snip

Aha, found it. The url should be:

http://www.derbyastronomy.org/CelestronC6NReview.htm