The two tails of Machholz

Old January 1st 05, 01:41 PM
Pete Lawrence

Default The two tails of Machholz

Happy New Year!

Typically, it cleared last night when we were due to visit some
friends for a New Year's Eve celebration. Risking divorce, I took
advantage of a few early cloud gaps and snapped a couple of rapid
shots with an 80mm lens on my Canon 10D. The whole arrangement was
driven on a GP-DX mount.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/comets/machholz.html

(for slow connections, a direct link to the image here
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/comets/...2004-12-31.jpg )

The forecast is positive for tonight so I hope to push the imaging a
bit further.

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old January 1st 05, 02:11 PM
Veijo Timonen

Pete Lawrence wrote:
Happy New Year!

Typically, it cleared last night when we were due to visit some
friends for a New Year's Eve celebration. Risking divorce, I took
advantage of a few early cloud gaps and snapped a couple of rapid
shots with an 80mm lens on my Canon 10D. The whole arrangement was
driven on a GP-DX mount.

http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/comets/machholz.html

(for slow connections, a direct link to the image here
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk/comets/...2004-12-31.jpg )

The forecast is positive for tonight so I hope to push the imaging a
bit further.

Happy New Year !

Comet
C/2004 Q2 (Machholz) 2004-12-31 19h02m, Canon 10D and 70-200mm Sigma

zoom lens, exp. 240 sek

On the left you can find all the pictures but most the texts are only in
Finnish. Sorry
http://kotiweb.kotiportti.fi/veijo.t...olz/index.html

Veijo Timonen

Old January 1st 05, 03:15 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 16:11:47 +0200, Veijo Timonen
wrote:

Happy New Year !

Comet
C/2004 Q2 (Machholz) 2004-12-31 19h02m, Canon 10D and 70-200mm Sigma

zoom lens, exp. 240 sek

On the left you can find all the pictures but most the texts are only in
Finnish. Sorry
http://kotiweb.kotiportti.fi/veijo.t...olz/index.html

Veijo Timonen

Nicely captured Veijo - what ISO were you using?

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old January 1st 05, 03:54 PM
Geoff Smith

Great stuff Pete and Veijo!
Can you pick up either tail in binoculars yet? Weather up here has been
dreadful for the last couple of days. Fingers crossed it will clear in the
next few days...
Happy New Year
Geoff

Old January 1st 05, 04:31 PM
Veijo Timonen

Pete Lawrence wrote:

Nicely captured Veijo - what ISO were you using?

Thanks!

You have taken the photo almost the same time than me,
It is good idea your negative image.

ISO Speed 200
Aperture value F3.5
Focal length 200mm and
1200 mm telescope F5.9

Veijo Timonen

Old January 1st 05, 04:35 PM
Pete Lawrence

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 15:54:34 GMT, "Geoff Smith"
wrote:

Great stuff Pete and Veijo!
Can you pick up either tail in binoculars yet? Weather up here has been
dreadful for the last couple of days. Fingers crossed it will clear in the
next few days...
Happy New Year

Hi Geoff,

Happy New Year to you too. To be honest, I was so rushed last night
that I only had time to confirm the comet's position with my 11x80s.
I can't recall seeing the tail visually, just the very visible coma.
Comet was easily visible to the naked eye once the position had been
determined with bins.

--
Pete
http://www.digitalsky.org.uk
Old January 1st 05, 05:14 PM
Paul Clark

"Geoff Smith" wrote in message
Great stuff Pete and Veijo!
Can you pick up either tail in binoculars yet? Weather up here has been

Hi
I picked up 1.5 degree of ion trail and about 45' of dust from the Peak
District at 18:30 last night. An easy naked-eye object, a large coma! I
used a Borg 101ED refractor at x20 and 4 degree field also a pair of 20x100
binoculars.
Regards
Paul