Comet Tails ?????

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 10th 17, 07:15 PM posted to alt.astronomy
herbert glazier

Default Comet Tails ?????

Most have one tail.Some have two,and some no tail at all.Some tails are a million miles long(WOW) What are these tails made off? I think dust??? Some say water.Is the sun not only reflecting light of these dusty tails,but also creating them? Photons from sun do effect the direction of tails when comet swings around the sun. Is it possible comets leaving the Oort cloud have no tails,and tails come to be when comet enters the solar system? I saw Halley comet when I was 5 or 6 Many moons ago.Treb&bert