Power Supply

Old January 13th 04, 07:21 PM
Doink

Default Power Supply

Greetings all,

I have a question about those portable, rechargeable power supplies that
seem to be available everywhere.

1. Are they universal? In other words, can I get a Radio Shack model to
run my Orion DC motors? Or, should I stick with Orion's?

2. Can there run simple heaters to keep my finders from freezing over?

3. Is there a "best" model in these portable power supplies?

Thanks,

Doink

Old January 13th 04, 07:41 PM
Bob May

The important things a
Voltage
AmpHour rating (total power output)
Output connections.
If the above are within specs, they are equivalent. The VoltAmp rating can
be higher, much higher, without any problems but a lower rating will mean
not as much life for a charge.

--
Bob May
Losing weight is easy! If you ever want to lose weight, eat and drink less.

Old January 13th 04, 08:02 PM
Doink

Then more power is better because it can be regulated on the box? Are the
individual outputs regulatable? In other words, can you run a 6 V device
and a 9V device at the same time?

Old January 13th 04, 08:22 PM
HAVRILIAK

Are they universal? In other words, can I get a Radio Shack model to
run my Orion DC motors? Or, should I stick with Orion's?

2. Can there run simple heaters to keep my finders from freezing over?

3. Is there a "best" model in these portable power supplies?

12 volts dc are 12 volts dc are 12 volts dc, etc.
Ive had some experience with store bought units and have always been
dissapointed with them although they are much better than nothing. The main
problems are cost and amp-hrs. I finally gave up comercial units and put a
motocycle battery (24$) in a plastic tool box (5$) and bought a charger (25$)
and had 2-3 times the current capacity of the cheaper units (~$100) and at a
fraction of the cost. Iv'e bought these assembled units at Pep Boys for 100$,
Sam's 50$ and cant conceive of ever buying a 18 amphr for $140. I liked my
package so much that I assembled 3 motocycle batteries (about 24 amp-hrs @24$
each from Sams) in a larger tool box ($12). Two batteries are in parallel and
one stands alone. I also mounterd two triple cigarett outlets (Radio Shack)
on top of the toolbox . Furthermore I stripped the charge level indicators from
the commercial units when their batteries went dead and mounted them on the
tool box. Put fuses in series with the batteries. At the last Star Party I
realized there was no reason to lug the battery pack (the unit is heavy) back
to my RV for charging I talked to my neighbors for their agreement and tapped
into the lines sprinkeld arount the observing field and charged during DAYLIGHT
HOURS so I wouldent upset their power supply at night.
Hope this helps.