Multiple interceptor ABMs

Old June 11th 08, 07:58 AM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

Default Multiple interceptor ABMs

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 22:46:20 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Yeah, look what happened when we ran out of Vietnam with our tails
between our legs...the Vietnamese were so awestruck by those B-52s that
they are now buying Boeing airliners from us:

....One of my high school buddies was one of the refugees whose father
helped push choppers off the deck of that aircraft carrier so they
could get out after Saigon fell. He went back to Vietnam for the first
time since he was 13, and from what the surviving members of his
family who couldn't get out say, within 10 years time the only ones
practicing any form of communism will be whoever's running the
government. Black market capitalism over there is so open turned a
blind eye to these days that it's almost unheard of for anyone to get
busted for it. Apparently there's one or two old followers left over
from Uncle Ho's trouncing of the French who go a little senile every
now and then and go off looking for insurrectionists to reeducate, but
they're apparently accompanied by guards whose jobs are to arrest
whoever the old poozers start yelling at, take them around to the back
of the building, tell them to go visit a relative in another town for
a day or so, and then forget the whole mess ever happened.

And if you think those whackjobs are bad? He says there's one who
still tries to get funds appropriated for VC tunnel maintainance!

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old June 12th 08, 12:41 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

Neil Gerace wrote:

Yeah, look what happened when we ran out of Vietnam with our tails
between our legs...the Vietnamese were so awestruck by those B-52s that
they are now buying Boeing airliners from us:http://www.boeing.com/commercial/new...71001a_nr.html

They're caught between Scylla and Charybdis on that one - it's either
you or France

Not the first time they run into that combo of nations in regards to
their national policy.
I always got a kick out of how the right wing went berserk (they do that
a lot these days) about how cowardly the French were about not going
into Iraq with us.
Having, like Vietnam, been in the place once before, they probably
realized what we were about to run into.
What I need is some sort of a Muqtada al-Sadr real-time update service,
so I can tell if he's our friend or foe at any given moment. ;-)

Pat
Old June 12th 08, 12:57 PM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:
...One of my high school buddies was one of the refugees whose father
helped push choppers off the deck of that aircraft carrier so they
could get out after Saigon fell. He went back to Vietnam for the first
time since he was 13, and from what the surviving members of his
family who couldn't get out say, within 10 years time the only ones
practicing any form of communism will be whoever's running the
government.

I alway liked what happened to the Viet Cong after North Vietnam took
over the place; expecting to be honored as heroes, they were instead
pretty much decimated...far too dangerous to have a group of skilled
revolutionaries operating in a newly communist country.

Black market capitalism over there is so open turned a
blind eye to these days that it's almost unheard of for anyone to get
busted for it. Apparently there's one or two old followers left over
from Uncle Ho's trouncing of the French who go a little senile every
now and then and go off looking for insurrectionists to reeducate, but
they're apparently accompanied by guards whose jobs are to arrest
whoever the old poozers start yelling at, take them around to the back
of the building, tell them to go visit a relative in another town for
a day or so, and then forget the whole mess ever happened.

And if you think those whackjobs are bad? He says there's one who
still tries to get funds appropriated for VC tunnel maintainance!

I talked to a Vietnam vet who got into one of their major tunnel
underground storage depots after returning to the country recently, and
was frankly awestruck by the size of the place. You go down a hidden
hatch in the jungle, and next thing you know, you are in something
around the size of WalMart.
Apparently they learned a lot of tunnel-making techniques from the
Japanese during WW II, and promptly put them to good use against both
the French and US.

Pat
Old June 12th 08, 01:31 PM posted to sci.space.history
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 06:41:00 -0500, in a place far, far away, Pat
Flannery made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

Neil Gerace wrote:

Yeah, look what happened when we ran out of Vietnam with our tails
between our legs...the Vietnamese were so awestruck by those B-52s that
they are now buying Boeing airliners from us:http://www.boeing.com/commercial/new...71001a_nr.html

They're caught between Scylla and Charybdis on that one - it's either
you or France

Not the first time they run into that combo of nations in regards to
their national policy.
I always got a kick out of how the right wing went berserk (they do that
a lot these days) about how cowardly the French were about not going
into Iraq with us.

And we love how you fantasize about history.
Old June 12th 08, 05:35 PM posted to sci.space.history
OM[_6_]

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 06:57:40 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

I talked to a Vietnam vet who got into one of their major tunnel
underground storage depots after returning to the country recently, and
was frankly awestruck by the size of the place. You go down a hidden
hatch in the jungle, and next thing you know, you are in something
around the size of WalMart.

....Funny you should mention that. Apparently the current Vietnam
government has been negotiating with the Andromeda Strain of the
retail business, and one of the proposals was to put the first
Wal-Mart as an underground complex! I have no idea how far this has
progressed, but at least if we have to finally go back over there and
take the place back our troops will have a place to shop besides the
PX. And probably cheaper, too :-)

....On a side note, Pat, I assume you've read Marvel's "The Nam",
right? I've been thinking about "Fudd" Verzyl during this whole thread
:-)

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old June 12th 08, 07:01 PM posted to sci.space.history
Eric Chomko[_2_]

On Jun 12, 1:06*pm, (Rand Simberg)
wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:42:37 -0500, in a place far, far away, OM
made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:31:26 GMT, (Rand
Simberg) wrote:

And we love how you fantasize about history.

...What? The Frogs aren't cowards?

No, I didn't say that. *But whether they are or not isn't relevant.

He's rewriting the history of how "the right wing went berserk about
how cowardly the French were about not going into Iraq with us."

Rand, the conservatve Republican congress at the time seriously
considered changing the name of "French fries" to "Freedom fries" in
the congressional cafeteria at the time. The media got wind of this
suggestion and ran with it. So much for a liberal media...

First of all, I didn't notice the "right wing" (whatever that means--I
think it's just people who disagree with Pat) "go berserk" at all.

Uh no, Pat was specifially talking about the conservatives of the
time.
In case you didn't know, conservative = right-wing, liberal = left-
wing.

And the reason that the "right wing" as well as people like me,

About damn time you admitted it!

were upset at the French wasn't because they were cowards, but because they
were on Saddam's payroll, and heavily involved in the Oil for
Palaces^H^H^H^H^H^H^HFood program. It was about the corruption, not
the cowardice.

Corruption? Going to war under false pretense is corrupt. Where are
you with that?
Are you selective with your citation of corruption? It would apper so.

But Pat will be Pat.

And Rand will be Rand. Now what?

Eric
Old June 13th 08, 01:23 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:
...On a side note, Pat, I assume you've read Marvel's "The Nam",
right? I've been thinking about "Fudd" Verzyl during this whole thread
:-)

I think I read my last DC or Marvel comic back around 1970.
When I was reading X-Men, there was no Wolverine in it.
Since then, about the only ones I've read are Gonick's "Illustrated
History Of The Universe" ones.
Speaking of comic book-like stuff, last night a friend and I went to see
the new Indiana Jones film, although it was good, it wasn't as good as
Iron Man.
What was interesting though was this strange music video that the
National Guard had before the film, which was some sort of recruiting tool.
This was reminiscent of some sort of recruiting drive out of the movie
"Starship Troopers" and full of blood and thunder.
I didn't realize it was the National Guard that stormed the beaches at
Normandy.
Anyway, the music video seems to promise you that if you join the
National Guard, you'll get to see a lot of action indeed, sort of like
that strike on Klendathu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJRthpxDM10
If you are lucky, you can even become a prisoner of the enemy, with your
very own thousand-yard-stare while you are being rescued by your Guard
compatriots.
The call to shoot Redcoats is interesting from the viewpoint of the
US-UK alliance in the War On Bugs...excuse me...War On Terror.
Anyway, after seeing what that video promises for my National Guard
experience, I'd be as likely to cuddle a cobra as join the Guard. :-D

Pat
Old June 13th 08, 04:27 AM posted to sci.space.history
Scott Hedrick[_2_]

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
dakotatelephone...
Speaking of comic book-like stuff, last night a friend and I went to see
the new Indiana Jones film, although it was good, it wasn't as good as
Iron Man.

Haven't seen it yet, but some of the early scenes were filmed a short
distance from my property in New Mexico. You get north of the hills to the
north of Deming, and the biggest giveaway that you aren't in the 1940s are
the modern highway signs. There's even some old electric lines with glass
insulators running next to the railroad.

Anyway, the music video seems to promise you that if you join the National
Guard, you'll get to see a lot of action indeed, sort of like that strike
on Klendathu: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJRthpxDM10

"The National Guard made me the man I am today!" OM, is that you?

Multiple interceptor ABMs Pat Flannery Policy 40 June 15th 08 10:55 PM
multiple universes? DaveJr Misc 25 September 6th 06 03:17 PM
Soviet space interceptor missile Pat Flannery History 2 December 30th 05 07:31 AM
Multiple Solos readme_D0t_Text History 7 October 4th 04 06:17 PM
Multiple systems - How are they determined to be multiple? Chris L Peterson Amateur Astronomy 3 October 6th 03 06:47 AM