Is this a Meteorite? Help Please.

Old July 4th 06, 02:50 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ken[_1_]

Default Is this a Meteorite? Help Please.

I found an interesting "rock" the other day. OK, OK, I know what you're
thinking . . . another person thinks they've found a meteorite . . .

Actually what sets this "rock" apart from others, and what makes me think
this is indeed a meteorite, is the many spherical structures within the
rock. As you will see if you click on the links below, this "rock" seems to
be broken off from a larger piece. There exists many spherical structures,
which may be chondrules.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

http://home.comcast.net/~k_haas/home/Meteorite1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~k_haas/home/Meteorite2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~k_haas/home/Meteorite3.jpg

Old July 4th 06, 03:44 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
kapella1@

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 08:50:53 -0500, "Ken" wrote:

I found an interesting "rock" the other day. OK, OK, I know what you're
thinking . . . another person thinks they've found a meteorite . . .

Your best bet is to take it to a museum or university and let their
labs do the work. Many rocks that look like meteorites are not, many
that look like just another stone are.
Good luck,
Kapella
Old July 4th 06, 03:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

No.

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old July 4th 06, 03:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ken[_1_]

Some explaination would be helpful.

TIA,

Ken

"Davoud" wrote in message
No.

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com

Old July 4th 06, 04:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Ken:
Is this a Meteorite?

Davoud
No.

Ken:
Some explaination would be helpful.

Sorry. Took that to be a yes-or-no question. I am in no position to
examine the rock*. I suggest a geologist.

*So how do I know it's not a meteorite? I don't know how I know, I just
know. But I could be wrong. I suggest a geologist.

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old July 4th 06, 05:45 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Sam Wormley

Ken wrote:
I found an interesting "rock" the other day. OK, OK, I know what you're
thinking . . . another person thinks they've found a meteorite . . .

Actually what sets this "rock" apart from others, and what makes me think
this is indeed a meteorite, is the many spherical structures within the
rock. As you will see if you click on the links below, this "rock" seems to
be broken off from a larger piece. There exists many spherical structures,
which may be chondrules.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ken

http://home.comcast.net/~k_haas/home/Meteorite1.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~k_haas/home/Meteorite2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~k_haas/home/Meteorite3.jpg

Probably a metamorphic rock.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Metamorphic+Rocks

Old July 4th 06, 06:34 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Doink

I too would surmise no. I would base my guess on the lack of "pitting"
whick generally occurs at the very high heat meteorites are subjected too.
This looks like organic growth causing a stain on iron to me.

Doink

Old July 4th 06, 06:35 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
SunSeeker

Probably a metamorphic rock.
http://www.google.com/search?q=Metamorphic+Rocks

Ok Sam, and just what makes you say that?

Anyway, my opinion is no. The condrules are too large. If you look at
pictures of real condrites,
the condrules are much smaller. What are some other alternatives?
sedimentary "conglomerate" or
porphyritic igneous. But most likely sedimentary. What was the area like
that you found it in?

Old July 4th 06, 06:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 08:50:53 -0500, "Ken" wrote:

I found an interesting "rock" the other day. OK, OK, I know what you're
thinking . . . another person thinks they've found a meteorite . . .

Actually what sets this "rock" apart from others, and what makes me think
this is indeed a meteorite, is the many spherical structures within the
rock. As you will see if you click on the links below, this "rock" seems to
be broken off from a larger piece. There exists many spherical structures,
which may be chondrules.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ken-

I'm afraid there isn't anything in these images to suggest that the
object is a meteorite. There is no evidence of any fusion crust at all,
even very weathered. Even if the stone was somehow broken from the
interior of a larger meteorite, the circular (I wouldn't say spherical
from the images) structures don't look like chondrules. Chondrules are
mineralogically distinct from their surrounding matrix- normally much
harder. So a highly weathered chondrite shows some combination of
hemispherical bumps where chondrules extend above the weathered surface,
and hemispherical depressions where chondrules have fallen out. Your
sample shows circular areas that are coincident with the surrounding
surface, and in some cases appear to wrap around edges. I would guess
that the features are either created by chemical or biological processes
on the surface, or are some sort of mineral inclusions. You could try
filing down into one to determine if they are surface features.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com