Monitoring ISS Air-to-Ground

Old April 15th 04, 02:40 PM
jeff findley

Default The Testimony of ISS Flight Director Bob Haller (was Monitoring ISS Air-to-Ground)

"Jorge R. Frank" writes:

No, I do not find the death of a crew member funny. What I find funny is
your stubborn insistence on increasing the risks to the crew by performing
an EVA as a cover-your-ass, PR exercise, all the while piously proclaiming
your dedication to crew safety. Though I confess the joke is getting rather
old, and I wish you'd find a new one.

Unfortunately, Bob Haller seems to be a one trick pony.

I wonder if he applies the same shotgun approach to any sort of
problem solving.

Jeff
--
Remove "no" and "spam" from email address to reply.
If it says "This is not spam!", it's surely a lie.
Old April 15th 04, 04:39 PM
bob haller

Unfortunately, Bob Haller seems to be a one trick pony.

I wonder if he applies the same shotgun approach to any sort of
problem solving.

Jeff

Actually shotgun repair can be useful when your not certain of the cause. Since
the noise is from a unknown source they should try to investigate as many
possible causes as they can...

Fan ventilators pumps outside disturbances etc.

If we are going to live in space permanetely then we have to be ready to take a
look outdoors occasionally

:
:
:
My opinion is right
Old April 15th 04, 04:41 PM
bob haller

Default Monitoring ISS Air-to-Ground

NASA has not ignored the possibility of taking a look outside. They
appear to be prudently fitting it into the next scheduled EVA, because
that is the safest thing to do.

Jeff

Since it warranteed a look with the spacewalk that was cut short they shouldnt
wait till july, do the inspection and all other chores that werent completed or
need done.
:
:
:
My opinion is right
Old April 17th 04, 04:16 PM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"bob haller" wrote in message

Noted that again you desire the appearance of safety, not actual safety.

Not at all, with a unknown noise you shouldnt ignore any possibilties,
including taking a look outside

So, let me get this straight.

Let's say that the odds of it being an outside problem that could lead to
catastrophe are 1 in 100,000.
And the odds of a fatal space walk are 1 in 10,000.

You'd still go for the space walk?

:
:
:
My opinion is right

Old April 17th 04, 05:54 PM
bob haller

utside

So, let me get this straight.

Let's say that the odds of it being an outside problem that could lead to
catastrophe are 1 in 100,000.
And the odds of a fatal space walk are 1 in 10,000.

Just where did these numbers come from?

If a fatal space walk is 1 in 10,000 thatrs pretty bad. of course the shuttles
safety record is way worse.
:
:
:
My opinion is right
Old April 19th 04, 12:45 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

"bob haller" wrote in message
utside

So, let me get this straight.

Let's say that the odds of it being an outside problem that could lead to
catastrophe are 1 in 100,000.
And the odds of a fatal space walk are 1 in 10,000.

Just where did these numbers come from?

My butt.

They are purely hypothetical. But you've basically said that we MUST
immediately perform an EVA to investigate the sounds. But you're not
willing to actually justify it. I'm asking you, if those were the numbers,
would you still be so singlemindedly insisting on an immediate EVA?

If a fatal space walk is 1 in 10,000 thatrs pretty bad. of course the

shuttles
safety record is way worse.

True. But the powers that be have determined that risk is worth the
rewards. Is the risk of an EVA worth the reward? What are the odds of them
finding anything?

:
:
: