Mars rover power mystery

Old November 6th 04, 08:42 AM
Ray Vingnutte

Default Mars rover power mystery

Old November 6th 04, 02:08 PM
Greg Neill

"Ray Vingnutte" wrote in message
. ..

"Overnight, Opportunity's solar panels produced between 2%
and 5% additional power, perhaps due to Martian dust that
had settled on them being removed."

Wow! Solar panels that operate at night! :-)

Old November 6th 04, 02:46 PM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

Greg Neill wrote:

"Ray Vingnutte" wrote in message
. ..

"Overnight, Opportunity's solar panels produced between 2%
and 5% additional power, perhaps due to Martian dust that
had settled on them being removed."

Ray
Wow! Solar panels that operate at night! :-)

nightbat

Ha, ha, ha, ha, no such magic night solar physics, just probably
Darla and company letting us know they're still out there. Still if
there are Mars underground highway windshield or solar cleaners out
there when the rovers came to a stop the red Mars folks popped up from
their underground cities and cleaned them like they do down here in our
big cities for a handout.

the nightbat

Old November 7th 04, 02:48 AM
Southern Hospitality

nightbat wrote:
nightbat wrote

Greg Neill wrote:

"Ray Vingnutte" wrote in message
g...

"Overnight, Opportunity's solar panels produced between 2%
and 5% additional power, perhaps due to Martian dust that
had settled on them being removed."

Ray
Wow! Solar panels that operate at night! :-)

nightbat

Ha, ha, ha, ha, no such magic night solar physics, just probably
Darla and company letting us know they're still out there. Still if
there are Mars underground highway windshield or solar cleaners out
there when the rovers came to a stop the red Mars folks popped up from
their underground cities and cleaned them like they do down here in our
big cities for a handout.

the nightbat

Great! I only hope those little red martian folks don't get mad because
the rovers didn't tip. Probably have to say good by to the clean solar
panels then. Or perhaps the next time the sun rises the rovers could be
stuck inside a shopping cart full of all the other debris us humans have
thrown at Mars in the past. Heck, might even see a little beagle
tagging along-side.
Old November 7th 04, 12:19 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

HI S.H. So with that added boost of energy what is it doing?. Can it
make the north pole for the summer? Has it found a drop of water? Will
a little green Martian child think Santa Claus gave it to him for
Christmas? Is NASA littering up Mars with junk? I think it once put
nails in orbit around the Earth to protect us from incoming Russian
missiles. Go Figure Bert

Old November 7th 04, 02:23 PM
nightbat

nightbat wrote

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

HI S.H. So with that added boost of energy what is it doing?.

nightbat

Come on Bert, why not our lovely Darla sending us Mars energy
rover power boost clues that she/he is always with us? Remember her/him
telling us of always watching and overlooking our every move? Then again
it could be just little green men cleaning the solar rover arrays and,
ha, ha, wanting Earth green back tips like Southern Hospitality co
indicated.

Bert

Can it
make the north pole for the summer? Has it found a drop of water? Will
a little green Martian child think Santa Claus gave it to him for
Christmas? Is NASA littering up Mars with junk? I think it once put
nails in orbit around the Earth to protect us from incoming Russian
missiles. Go Figure Bert

nightbat

Then that would be interplanetary traveling to Mars Santa Claus,
hmmmmm, a real world physics and astro possibility. For if we made it to
Mars with missing billions limping Nasa, surely Santa could with his
much more far advanced gravity defying sleigh. But what about the
necessity of air breathing dependency of Santa and Reindeer? Oh, sure,
sure, Nasa Santa and Reindeer protective space suit fitted oxygen
cylinder reserve hose sleigh fed technology of Mother Earth course. And
additionally instead of just normal Earth Reindeer eye guards full body
suit gold reflecting shields to protect against solar flare eruptions
and possible damaging cross cosmic radiation winds. Brilliant Bert, the
potential little green Martian children will have a theoretical nice
Christmas after all.

the nightbat

Old November 7th 04, 04:22 PM
Southern Hospitality

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:
HI S.H. So with that added boost of energy what is it doing?. Can it
make the north pole for the summer? Has it found a drop of water? Will
a little green Martian child think Santa Claus gave it to him for
Christmas? Is NASA littering up Mars with junk? I think it once put
nails in orbit around the Earth to protect us from incoming Russian
missiles. Go Figure Bert

Oh no, I think that beagle found it's own pack of doggies to roam with.
I think it's much like any dog. If you don't take care of it, it will
run away to find something better. Since we apparently didn't take care
of the beagle as we should have, it found a new master. Or it could
even be as you say, some martian child was crying because they didn't
get the little puppy they had dreamed of for christmas. Then just as
their parents were about to give up, CRASH, right through the roof of
their underground dwelling comes their little doggie, tail wagging,
tongue lolling, and yipping with excitement.

Is NASA littering Mars with junk? I'd have to say yes. What do we do
when batteries die? We toss them or recycle them. Since we can't
recycle the products we're sending out to Mars, the only option is to
toss them. Perhaps NASA could figure some way to greatly enhance the
storage life of their power-sources. I like the method they're using
with Cassini, radioactive decay (RTG).

RTG Link: http://www.ne.doe.gov/space/space-desc.html
Old November 7th 04, 05:20 PM
David G. Nagel

Southern Hospitality wrote:
G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

[...]

Yes and the environuts are livid about its use. There, in their opinion,
should be no use of deadly radioactive power in space exploration. Not
that the danger is to the space environment, though they feel there is,
but the danger, in their mind(?) is to the terrestrial environment if a
misfire occurs during launch and the containment is breached.
Now, there is a definite danger of this occurring but that danger is so
minuscule that it borders on zero.

Some day Earthmen will walk on the surface of both the Moon and Mars.
When they do they will recover the various items and either return them
to Earth or will place them in a Lunar or Martian museum of some sort.
In the mean time it is up to researchers to minimize any damage to the
environments while maximizing the abilities and results of their
research vehicles.

Dave Nagel
Old November 7th 04, 06:04 PM
Southern Hospitality

G=EMC^2 Glazier wrote:

[...]

It's funny that the environmentalists are so up in arms about this
technology. If they had read through the document, such as the one I
linked to above, they would see that NASA's been using these for the
last 37 years with only one accident where the Pu238 was burned up in
the upper atmosphere. All other tests on it's durability point to these
RTG's being safer to launch than it is to launch a human. Humans don't
have the luxury of being able to withstand an uncontrolled entry into
the atmosphere, these RTG's do, and have been reused. It's pure
silliness. I wonder what these enviro-people would think if you told
them all the mass in their bodies could be used to annihilate the solar
system if converted into energy.
Old November 7th 04, 07:43 PM
G=EMC^2 Glazier

Hi nightbat After reading your post I came to realize the Earth's north
pole is the only place for Santa.I forgot life has to breath. Let me say
"once upon a time" when Mars was in orbit just 94 million miles from the
sun it had running water,and indoor toilets. Things went down hill when
the crapper froze. Really was the only place to have a toilet was on top
of a Martian hill.Wars were fought over who would be king of the
hill,and crap on the rest. What happened was these lower Martians were
to smart to be **** upon and looking at Earth could see running water
every where. They came by the thousands to ****. This post only makes
sense to two groups. Those that in their spacetime have **** in their
pants(happened to me 3 times) and the king of the hillers that don't
mind NASA paying 25 million for a toilet. When you have to really
go(can't wait another second) money is no object. It is more than pay as
you go. Bert