deepsky objects for urban / suburban observers

Old February 8th 04, 08:09 PM
orion94nl

Default deepsky objects for urban / suburban observers

Hi all,

Most books for deep sky observers are stuffed with observing
reports from high altitudes and/or remote dark sky sites.
I regularly get reports from frustrated (beginning) observers
who live in urban / suburban areas. They compare what they
see through their telescopes with the reports in these books
and of course most people are disappointed by what they
see, because their expectations were much too high.

I know that a dark sky site is essential for deep sky observing,
but like most of us I live in a more or less light polluted
suburban area and I cannot visit a dark sky site every
clear night. During weekdays I have to observe from
my light polluted backyard, because the nearest dark-sky
site is about 1,5 hours driving from my home. I visit the dark
sky site only on moonless, clear nights in the weekend.

To help (beginning) urban / suburban observers I started a
new series of articles on my site, the deepsky TOP 100. Once
a week I will publish a short article on one or more deep sky
objects that I have observed with my moderate aperture telescope
(8-inch) or giant binoculars(15x80) from my own light polluted
backyard with a limiting magnitude between 4 and 5. Sometimes
I will compare the view from my backyard, with that of a dark
sky site. I will try to give an accurate report of what I have seen.
A finder chart and eyepiece impression is always included.

So (beginning) suburban/urban observers, here are the
first two couples of objects from my list. Just follow the
links to read the articles.

M46/M47:
http://www.backyard-astro.com/pMachi...?id=37_0_1_0_M

M35/ NGC 2158:
http://www.backyard-astro.com/pMachi...?id=43_0_1_0_M

If you want to add your own observation of these objects, please
feel free to do so. You can use the "comments" option.

Enjoy!

Math
http://www.backyard-astro.com

Old February 8th 04, 09:24 PM
Chuck

What a great idea! I seem to remember another web site dedicated to
urban/suburban observing. If I can find it, I'll forward it along ...

Old February 8th 04, 09:36 PM
Stephen Paul

"Chuck" wrote in message
news
"orion94nl" wrote in message
Most books for deep sky observers are stuffed with observing
reports from high altitudes and/or remote dark sky sites.
I regularly get reports from frustrated (beginning) observers
who live in urban / suburban areas. They compare what they
see through their telescopes with the reports in these books
and of course most people are disappointed by what they
see, because their expectations were much too high.

I seem to remember another web site dedicated to
urban/suburban observing. If I can find it, I'll forward it along ...

I've always thought of Tony Flanders as our resident expert on urban,
suburban, and as he likes to call it "x-urban" observing. Although there
are certainly others who contribute to the subject of aperture vs. light
pollution for observing deep sky.

-Stephen

Old February 8th 04, 09:36 PM
Bill Meyers

Hi, Math,
Very good site.
I agree strongly about the SkyWindow and the 15 x binoculars with
it. That is what I use when I can.
As far as observing from light polluted skies goes, I have found the
following very useful:
Large aperture -- in my case, Starmaster 11 Dob-- that can be easily
wheeled in and out of my garage to the driveway. But small enough to be
easily transported to a dark sky site when the opportunity arises.
A 2" wide field eyepiece to help find things.
* If* observing *alone,* a green laser finder to find objects. It can
be difficult to tell where an optical finder is pointing. And Telrads
are hard to use in the city.
Better, use digital setting circles (it need not be go-to although
go-to is even better). This obviates the need for the green laser
finder. I use Sky Commander on my Dob. This makes it possible to find
things easily even though there are too few stars to use for star
hopping...
High enough magnification to give a 4 mm or less exit pupil when the
object is found.
Works for me. YMMV.
Bill Meyers

Old February 8th 04, 11:01 PM
Bill Meyers

Tony Flanders' has a web site that compares views in urban and suburban
and rural areas in various sized telescopes.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze55p46/
Bill Meyers

Old February 9th 04, 02:52 AM
Jon Isaacs

As far as observing from light polluted skies goes, I have found the
following very useful:
Large aperture -- in my case, Starmaster 11 Dob-- that can be easily
wheeled in and out of my garage to the driveway. But small enough to be
easily transported to a dark sky site when the opportunity arises.

MY experience as well, I have a 10 inch and a 12.5 inch, both do well fighting
light pollution, though the bigger scope does better.

A 2" wide field eyepiece to help find things.

nd things.
* If* observing *alone,* a green laser finder to find objects. It can
be difficult to tell where an optical finder is pointing. And Telrads
are hard to use in the city.

A 2" wide field eyepiece to help find things.

I agree, a 1.75 degree FOV with a 10 inch or larger scope is pretty nice.

* If* observing *alone,* a green laser finder to find objects. It can be

difficult to tell where an optical finder is pointing. And Telrads are hard to
use in the city.

I have found the combination of a Telrad and a 8x50 finder to be a winner for
starhopping in the city. The Telrad makes it easier to get that first star
lined up and sometimes there are enough stars in the neighborhood to actually
use the Telrad. With the Telrad I can usually put the Catseye Nebula in the
field of view at 80X or so, without it, I struggle..

Jon