HOW COOL IS THIS?

Old August 5th 15, 06:46 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

Default HOW COOL IS THIS?

From a Million Miles Away, NASA Camera Shows Moon Crossing Face of Earth...

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...-face-of-earth

\Paul A
Old August 5th 15, 08:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

On 8/5/15 10:46 AM, palsing wrote:
From a Million Miles Away, NASA Camera Shows Moon Crossing Face of Earth...

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...-face-of-earth

Now THAT'S a transit!

Old August 5th 15, 08:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 10:46:21 -0700 (PDT), palsing
wrote:

From a Million Miles Away, NASA Camera Shows Moon Crossing Face of Earth...

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...-face-of-earth

They're great shots. I'll be using them in the classroom, and for
outreach. We know the Moon is low albedo, about the same as fresh
asphalt, but that's something that you just can't demonstrate with a
picture of the Moon alone. But you can sure see in these images how
dark the surface of the Moon is compared with the Earth.
Old August 5th 15, 09:13 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
oriel36[_2_]

Dunces in front of children would hardly realize that with each sweep of the moon in front of the fully illuminated face of the Earth would show the changing relationship between the North/South polar surface and the circle of illumination.

Outreach indeed !, these people should be nowhere near children no matter they consider themselves.

Old August 6th 15, 02:05 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 3:36:55 PM UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 10:46:21 -0700 (PDT), palsing
wrote:

From a Million Miles Away, NASA Camera Shows Moon Crossing Face of Earth...

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...-face-of-earth

They're great shots. I'll be using them in the classroom, and for
outreach. We know the Moon is low albedo, about the same as fresh
asphalt, but that's something that you just can't demonstrate with a
picture of the Moon alone. But you can sure see in these images how
dark the surface of the Moon is compared with the Earth.

The Moon looks to have about the same albedo as the land area of the Earth, and does not really appear to be too much lighter than the ocean, it just has a more sombre color. It's the _clouds_ that raise the albedo of the Earth.

Go he

http://sciphile.org/lessons/shades-i...ral-inhibition

and click on Figure 7 at right.

The squares 'A' and 'B' have the same shade.

You had better be sure exactly what it is you are trying to demonstrate at your so-called "outreach."
Old August 6th 15, 02:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Wednesday, 5 August 2015 13:46:23 UTC-4, palsing wrote:
From a Million Miles Away, NASA Camera Shows Moon Crossing Face of Earth...

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...-face-of-earth

\Paul A

Stupid GIF makes it look unreal. I'd have preferred a higher resolution still image with the moon in the frame.
Old August 6th 15, 03:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 6:05:13 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 3:36:55 PM UTC-4, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 10:46:21 -0700 (PDT), palsing
wrote:

From a Million Miles Away, NASA Camera Shows Moon Crossing Face of Earth...

[...]

Must you always have a bone to pick with virtually every offering here? This is a portrait of the Earth and moon from a million miles way, perhaps a once-in-a-lifetime occurrence for you and me and the rest of the world.

I viewed this as an amazingly unique perspective for all of humanity to enjoy, and thought I would share it with the group, but somehow you only look for any negative aspect that might be available.

I really must suck to be you... you apparently have nothing whatsoever to look forward to regarding the endeavors of the guys who bring this stuff to us... while the rest of us are astounded!

\Paul A
Old August 6th 15, 03:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 9:42:58 PM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, 5 August 2015 13:46:23 UTC-4, palsing wrote:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...y-nasa-camera-
shows-moon-crossing-face-of-earth

Stupid GIF makes it look unreal. I'd have preferred a higher resolution still image with the moon in the frame.

Set your monitor to gray scale... the Moon almost disappears. The visual impact is due mainly to the color difference, blue versus dull gray-brown. Seeing the lunar far side superimposed on the Earth is cool though.
Old August 6th 15, 03:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Wednesday, August 5, 2015 at 6:42:58 PM UTC-7, RichA wrote:
On Wednesday, 5 August 2015 13:46:23 UTC-4, palsing wrote:
From a Million Miles Away, NASA Camera Shows Moon Crossing Face of Earth...

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...-face-of-earth

\Paul A

Stupid GIF makes it look unreal. I'd have preferred a higher resolution still image with the moon in the frame.

Maybe you should just fund your own project, then you could get just what you want! I suspect that if you look hard enough you could find exactly what you seek.

Is this better?

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/fi...hmoonstill.png
Old August 6th 15, 03:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Wed, 5 Aug 2015 18:42:55 -0700 (PDT), RichA
wrote:

Stupid GIF makes it look unreal. I'd have preferred a higher resolution still image with the moon in the frame.

All you have to do is follow the links on the referenced page.

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/f...hmoonstill.png

The Cool Toursit SpaceSuit ( Cool, We have our first Tourist going for a Walk.) Craig Fink Space Shuttle 0 February 26th 07 02:18 AM
The Cool Toursit SpaceSuit ( Cool, We have our first Tourist going for a Walk.) Craig Fink Policy 0 February 26th 07 02:18 AM
COOL www.ultravideo.fr.st Astronomy Misc 0 March 29th 04 04:44 AM
Cool! Sally Misc 3 November 27th 03 01:21 PM
Cool! Sally UK Astronomy 2 November 27th 03 12:56 PM