Possible meteorite hit?

Old December 24th 08, 12:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_1_]

Default Possible meteorite hit?

On Dec 23, 1:27*am, Dave Typinski wrote:
Chris L Peterson wrote:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 01:31:18 GMT, "White Space Trash"
wrote:

Disgruntled neighbour?

Seriously disgruntled if they broke the concrete floor! There was an
interesting meteorwrong a couple of years ago involving a piece of iron
flung out of some sort of industrial machine a fair distance from the
impact (which was against the side of a house). You just never know.

I'm guessing disgruntled neighbor as well. *A meteor just happens to
be on a trajectory that brings it through the window, *after* reaching
terminal velocity? *I'm assuming a window in a wall, not a skylight.
That scenario is certainly possible, but I think "heavy object tossed
through window by kids" has a greater probability. *You could easily
chip a concrete floor by tossing the head of a 10 or 15 lb
sledgehammer through someone's window.

I'm curious: what did that couple find in their garage after a search?

More alcohol, with which to further fuel the B.S.

Old December 24th 08, 02:21 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
William Hamblen[_2_]

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:08:10 GMT, "George Normandin"
wrote:

I just received an e-mail (11:30 am EST 12/22/08) from my friends at
My question is: How do you tell a
meteorite from some other falling object?

Show it to a geologist?

Bud
Old December 24th 08, 04:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 20:21:07 -0600, William Hamblen
wrote:

Show it to a geologist?

Most geologists have never seen a meteorite. Asking a geologist to
identify a meteorite can get you about as far as asking an astronomer to
explain a meteor g.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com
Old December 24th 08, 07:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mickman

wrote:

Show it to a geologist?

Most geologists have never seen a meteorite. Asking a geologist to
identify a meteorite can get you about as far as asking an astronomer to
explain a meteor g.

This guy is the correct
geologist....http://www.calgaryherald.com/Collect...808/story.html

Old December 24th 08, 08:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B

On Dec 24, 5:24*am, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Most geologists have never seen a meteorite. Asking a geologist to
identify a meteorite can get you about as far as asking an astronomer to
explain a meteor g.

It's all a matter of scale really. The little stones may pass quite
unnoticed at their feet.

But anything big enough to make an Arizona crater would be instantly
recognised by any first year geology student as it passed over the
campus.

Unless they themselves were stoned... ;-)

FL Meteorite = Big $$$$$ G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 21 June 10th 08 12:29 AM
Meteorite? Trevor UK Astronomy 7 December 15th 06 08:28 PM
Is this a Meteorite? Help Please. Ken Amateur Astronomy 18 July 9th 06 08:22 AM
Meteorite howard UK Astronomy 6 January 2nd 05 10:12 PM
Meteorite Lloyd Jones Misc 17 June 14th 04 11:35 PM