Lame attempts at propulsion. Go to Mars? Will it take 1000 years?

Old September 30th 15, 10:20 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

Default Lame attempts at propulsion. Go to Mars? Will it take 1000 years?

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 1:13:32 PM UTC-7, Helpful person wrote:

It's only a matter of time. Eventually either a meteor or a natural disaster (Yosemite or one of the others) will wipe out our civilization. If we're lucky man will survive.

I don't think that there is much of a threat from Yosemite... but Yellowstone is another matter...

\Paul A
Old September 30th 15, 11:10 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Quadibloc:
Humans have needed to live somewhere else than on Earth since around 1948.

Be that as it may, humanity is not going to colonize Mars. But if the
1% want to try it on their own nickel, I'm all for it. No rescues, no
resupplies on the public nickel.

So while it may take a while, a nuclear stalemate favors the bad guys. For
freedom to really survive, we need to get far out of the reach of the ICBMs
of despotic regimes.

It's not much of a technological leap from ICBMs to InterPlanetary
Ballistic Missiles. Then what?

you will say in your entire life.

usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
Old October 1st 15, 02:36 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 4:10:26 PM UTC-6, Davoud wrote:

It's not much of a technological leap from ICBMs to InterPlanetary
Ballistic Missiles. Then what?

So it might seem. After all, an ICBM is a rocket, and what do people go to Mars
in? Rockets!

But it's not as simple as that.

An IPBM that takes two years to get to its target... can be evaded and
countered and so on. Making IPBMs as deadly to Martian colonists as ICBMs are
to people on Earth *is* a technological leap.

John Savard
Old October 1st 15, 02:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 3:20:48 PM UTC-6, palsing wrote:

I don't think that there is much of a threat from Yosemite... but Yellowstone
is another matter...

While that was clearly a slip, of course there's a threat from Yosemite... but, fortunately, we have Bugs Bunny to defend us against it!

John Savard
Old October 1st 15, 02:43 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

http://allcartooncharacters.com/wp-c...Bugs-Bunny.jpg
Old October 1st 15, 04:34 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Davoud[_1_]

Quadibloc:
While that was clearly a slip, of course there's a threat from Yosemite...

No. As of today, Yosemite is passé. Apple released OS 10.11 "El
Capitan" and all is well.

Old October 1st 15, 05:51 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 18:36:00 -0700 (PDT), Quadibloc
wrote:
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 4:10:26 PM UTC-6, Davoud wrote:

It's not much of a technological leap from ICBMs to InterPlanetary
Ballistic Missiles. Then what?

So it might seem. After all, an ICBM is a rocket, and what do

people go to Mars
in? Rockets!

But it's not as simple as that.

An IPBM that takes two years to get to its target... can be evaded

and
countered and so on. Making IPBMs as deadly to Martian colonists as

ICBMs are
to people on Earth *is* a technological leap.

True - it would be more efficient for an attacker to go to Mars,
present to be peaceful, and then launch an ICBM from Mars.

The major security hazard is to bring people to Mars, because it's
people who make war.

John Savard

Old October 1st 15, 01:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Helpful person

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 5:20:48 PM UTC-4, palsing wrote:
On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 1:13:32 PM UTC-7, Helpful person wrote:

It's only a matter of time. Eventually either a meteor or a natural disaster (Yosemite or one of the others) will wipe out our civilization. If we're lucky man will survive.

I don't think that there is much of a threat from Yosemite... but Yellowstone is another matter...

\Paul A

Sorry, wrong park! I always get those two names mixed up.

http://www.richardfisher.com

http://www.richardfisher.com
Old October 1st 15, 01:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Helpful person

On Wednesday, September 30, 2015 at 9:37:57 PM UTC-4, Quadibloc wrote:

While that was clearly a slip, of course there's a threat from Yosemite... but, fortunately, we have Bugs Bunny to defend us against it!

John Savard

I thought that was Yogi Bear?

http://www.richardfisher.com
Old October 1st 15, 02:03 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Thursday, October 1, 2015 at 12:51:48 AM UTC-4, Paul Schlyter wrote:

The major security hazard is to bring people to Mars, because it's
people who make war.

Hitler's army invaded Poland. The UK declared war on Germany. Who started the War?