Replacements for Orion?

Old April 6th 10, 01:32 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

Default Replacements for Orion?

On Mon, 05 Apr 2010 11:29:26 GMT, "Alan Erskine"
wrote:

Dream Chaser (from SpaceDev)
Dragon from SpaceX
What else?

Orion on EELV-Heavy
Lockheed-Martin's Orion-Lite on EELV-Medium
Boeing's Orion proposal reborn
Blue Origin

Right now, Orion and Dragon are by far the front-runners. Lockheed was
pushing Orion-Lite and Boeing its own design for supporting Bigelow's
hotels. Blue Origin's a wild card because no one knows what they're up
to.

Brian
Old April 6th 10, 02:33 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

"Jonathan" wrote in message
news

"Alan Erskine" wrote in message
Dream Chaser (from SpaceDev)
Dragon from SpaceX
What else?

Supposed to launch this month. who needs people in space?
http://spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av012/100402x37update/

Is that second photo sans-spacecraft? If not, it's certainly a blunt
fairing!

Old April 6th 10, 02:58 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 01:34:31 GMT, "Alan Erskine"
wrote:

Blue Origin?

Jeff 'Amazon.com' Bezos' company out in the West Texas boondocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Origin

Officially, they're going for the SpaceShipTwo suborbital market, but
there has been speculation they're aiming higher (i.e., why else would
they have been developing that pusher launch abort system NASA decided
to fund?)

Brian
Old April 6th 10, 03:00 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 01:33:22 GMT, "Alan Erskine"
wrote:

Supposed to launch this month. who needs people in space?
http://spaceflightnow.com/atlas/av012/100402x37update/

With a 4x7 ft. payload bay, that will have to be a tiny crew,
literally.

Is that second photo sans-spacecraft? If not, it's certainly a blunt
fairing!

Fueling test sans payload.

Brian
Old April 6th 10, 09:36 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 4/5/2010 1:25 PM, Jeff Findley wrote:
That's was the original plan; use D-IV-H for Orion. What kind of
mentality decided to develop an entirely new booster for Orion anyway?
Bloody ridiculous idea.

That's easy: former NASA Administrator Mike Griffin. It was his pet design
from the beginning and he made it clear to his underlings what the "right"
decision was when it came to launch vehicles. Thanks Mike, NOT! :-P

Spread the wealth...first you have Delta IV and Atlas V meeting the same
military requirement, now it's time to bring in ATK with a third design
for civilian use.
One too many pigs in the pork barrel.

Pat
Old April 6th 10, 09:51 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 4/5/2010 4:32 PM, Brian Thorn wrote:

Blue Origin's a wild card because no one knows what they're up
to.

Why do I get the feeling that even Blue Origin doesn't know what Blue
Origin is up to?

Pat
Old April 6th 10, 09:57 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 4/5/2010 5:33 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:

Is that second photo sans-spacecraft? If not, it's certainly a blunt
fairing!

That's what I thought on first seeing it also...the spacecraft and its
fairing are going to be added after it completes the pad fueling tests
shown.

Pat

Old April 6th 10, 10:05 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Pat Flannery

On 4/5/2010 5:34 PM, Alan Erskine wrote:

Right now, Orion and Dragon are by far the front-runners. Lockheed was
pushing Orion-Lite and Boeing its own design for supporting Bigelow's
hotels. Blue Origin's a wild card because no one knows what they're up
to.

Brian

Blue Origin?

The Mysterious Nazi Saluting Turtles Rocket:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Blue_Origin_Logo.png
First time I saw that logo, I thought to myself: "I always wondered what
happened to all those acidheads from the late 1960's...now I know." :-D

Pat